PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air engine filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Default Air engine filter

Which is better and good to the engine the Oem or the K&N brand?

Old 01-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Banned

last year i had this question and did searces. one guy who sounded well traveled and informed said kn lets in more air,AND more dirt because of bigger holes,,,more porous.

then this post,if it works shows the spectre at $32 as a good one,,??

last year my 07 was averaging 18 on trips and i put in an advance auto filt for $14 and got 20 on the same trip. course i cant measure the dirt flow without a flow bench so its anybodys guess.

my guess,the oem is a safe bet unless you are determined to throw some money around. i hear the kn oil type is messy and can mess with the mass air device. as usual,stepping away from oem can be stepping in do do.

heres the link if i got it
file:///C/The%20Under%20$90%20Air%20Intake!%20-%20Hummer%20Forums%20-%20Enthusiast%20Forum%20for%20Hummer%20Owners.URL
ill try to add it
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...spectre+intake

Last edited by drtom; 01-31-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Thumbs up

I'll prolly just get the OEM since i dont want no problems anymore.. they cost $61 compared to a $64 K&N since everything here in canada is overpriced.. how long do a normal air filter stay in good condition anyway around 50,000 miles? I dont go off roading and we get a lot of snow here maybe 4-5 mos in a year

Thanks for the reply DrTom you are definitely reliable!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:31 PM

The K&N filter is more effective, but the dealership said because of the oil in the filter it may ruin the mass air flow sensor. So I changed back to the stock filter and it seems to get better mpg around the city, now as far as highway I bet the K&N would be better. In the manual it says to change the filter every 10,000 miles, but what I do is every couple thousand miles I will take out the filter and put compressed air to it to try to rid it of dirt and what not. Good Luck

Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 AM

The oil in the good after market ones is a valid concern, if they are over oiled I have seen them cause the light to come on due to residue getting on the MAF. If you keep them clean and dont over oil them they are fine. If you get one that is pre oiled make sure that you either wash it and treat it sparingly first or wipe off the excess oil first. I prefer the wash & retreat sparingly first way. I also use the foam filters instead of the K&N gauze style. I just prefer them personally.. However both flow considerably better than the OEM paper chit that was in there from the factory.. J

Old 02-01-2011, 02:01 PM

I run the K&N filter and seem to have seen about 1 MPG better milage with it as compared to the stock filter. I use the term "seem to" because it is not a rigid scientific comparison, just observation of the economy numbers on my ScanGuage. I have never had any problems with the K&N in terms of engine wear or oil fouling.

The K&N will go 50K miles between cleaning in normal conditions and then it takes about an hour to clean & re-oil it. So the cost may be much lower in the long run.

Some folks who offroad in very dusty conditions claim the OEM style filters work better. I have no data to compare. At any rate, you can certainly buy a reputable brand aftermarket filter at your local autoparts store (they have those in Canada, right?) rather than the GM filter and perhaps save a few bucks.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 PM

i just bought the oem 1.. igot mine from the dealer for 62 after taxes.. most of the air filters here are around 60 bucks anyway so i just got the oem one and most of the people in this forum are saying that the oiled one could cause a problem so im just sticking with the oem one. i dont go offroading anyway.