PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Air Doc...worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Raffi76
Doc, maybe you can answer me since you seem to know it all when it comes to these trucks I just got my green filter for replacement, model 2499, on their website it states combatible, but it has a different shape then the stock, seems longer and also gets narrower towards the end..... is this ok or did I get a wrong type of filter ?
It should work. It is a semi cone shaped filter. So long as the flange (the round hole that slides over the air filter box mounting lip) if 3/4" or so wide, and has an opening of 3.625" or 92MM you're good. That is the correct Part #.

When you pop out the stock filter, you lift up a little on the left end first, then slide it all over to the left off the mounting lip. The K&N and many of the replacements have a hose clamp that you snug down a bit when you slide it back on the aif filter box mounting lip to keep it in place. Very easy.

You can go on MagnaFlow's website and find a dealer/installer in your area. A PCM tune can be by mail order, or you may find a local shop doing them as well. The PCMforless mail order loaner program is really an easy DIY too.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 02-28-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:35 PM

I guess I still have no clue what a PCM is, by mail order ? I assume I dont have to mail them my truck so what is is exactly they are mailing me ?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
It should work. It is a semi cone shaped filter. So long as the flange (the round hole that slides over the air filter box mounting lip) if 3/4" or so wide, and has an opening of 6.625" or 92MM you're good. That is the correct Part #.

When you pop out the stock filter, you lift up a little on the left end first, then slide it all over to the left off the mounting lip. The K&N and many of the replacements have a hose clamp that you snug down a bit when you slide it back on the aif filter box mounting lip to keep it in place. Very easy.

You can go on MagnaFlow's website and find a dealer/installer in your area. A PCM tune can be by mail order, or you may find a local shop doing them as well. The PCMforless mail order loaner program is really an easy DIY too.
hmmmm that makes me wonder, I measured the inside lip, the piece of rubber that would seem to go over the mounting lip, and its about 1 1/4 inch deep. Also measured the opening from inside to inside edge and it is 3.5 inches wide.... neither of the numbers agree..... I cant see anywhere where I could get a measurement of 6.625 inches.

are you sure the hole is supposed to be 3/4" wide? that would make it a very small hole, I thought the opening and hole width would be the same thing so I am a bit confused here. I do see about 90mm measuremenet for the hole but that comes out to about 3.5 or 3.6 inches on the measuring tape

Last edited by Raffi76; 02-27-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

hmmmm that makes me wonder, I measured the inside lip, the piece of rubber that would seem to go over the mounting lip, and its about 1 1/4 inch deep. Also measured the opening from inside to inside edge and it is 3.5 inches wide.... neither of the numbers agree..... I cant see anywhere where I could get a measurement of 6.625 inches.

are you sure the hole is supposed to be 3/4" wide? that would make it a very small hole, I thought the opening and hole width would be the same thing so I am a bit confused here. I do see about 90mm measuremenet for the hole but that comes out to about 3.5 or 3.6 inches on the measuring tape
6.626 was a typo... my bad, it is supposed to say 3.625" However, I did say or 92MM which was correct.

The flange on the filter has to be at least 3/4" (the rubber lip that goes over the mounting hole in the air filter boxt ... as you say) so your 1 1/4 is A OK. Yes, the opening for the filter is larger than the mounting lip in the air box so it can slide over it. You're good to go. Sorry for my typo, I'll go back and edit it.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

I guess I still have no clue what a PCM is, by mail order ? I assume I dont have to mail them my truck so what is is exactly they are mailing me ?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Got it thanks.

Is whatever it is easy to install ? and I hope they include instructions. What does PCM stand for ?

Old 02-28-2009, 09:41 PM
JNR

Powertrain Control Module...

they keep changing the name it seems (sometimes referred to as an ECU (Electronic/Engine Control Unit)), but basically the computer that controls the various parameters of the engine control (i.e. timing, fuel, etc.)..The "brain" as they used to say in the 80's

Old 02-28-2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by JNR
Powertrain Control Module...

they keep changing the name it seems (sometimes referred to as an ECU (Electronic/Engine Control Unit)), but basically the computer that controls the various parameters of the engine control (i.e. timing, fuel, etc.)..The "brain" as they used to say in the 80's
Thanks, I googled it earlier today and got part of that information but computer makes more sense now Would that mean I need to pull mine out and send out for tunning ? or would you actually purchase a new one ?

I finally replaced the filter, it took all but maybe 30 seconds. The only obstacle was that filter was so longer that I had to force it past that pipe comming in from the outside that I guess brings the air in. I had to jam it against it but once past the initial edge the filter does have maybe half an inch space from the hole.

I did find something a bit disturbing though. On the intake hose that goes from the air filter enclosure to the engine I assume, there one spot where two pieces of the hose meet and a clamp is placed over it (just like the one that came with the filter). That clamp was lose just moving on the hose freely. Not sure why would any of the mechanics every work on this, I do not recall any major engine work being done on the car, except maybe when my monitor was showing 4 wheel drive errors but i doubt that had to do with the intake. I hope that part was not lose from the very begining. I tightened it and I hope all is well.

I will let you guys know if I notice any difference from the green filter.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

How bout a pic of that filter in the box installed???

Old 03-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Raffi go here and give their loaner program a read. http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...d=55&Itemid=40

They have install instructions and FAQ stuff to enlighten you.

Quick Reply: Air Doc...worth the money?