PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Adventure package has puncture prone tires??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Adventure package has puncture prone tires??

Well put RealJeep. I have 7000 on mine, they are ok in the dirt, pretty good on the snow covered roads, but they wouldn't be my first choice for a replacement tire. Need more width for the sand. IMO they are hard to beat for fetchin groceries and everyday driving.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:38 PM

Thanks Doc Olds, There are literally dozens or tires out there and none does it all. A mud tire will get you stuck in the sand and a sand tire will get you stuck in the mud. There are some pretty good AT tires but they each compromise something. If you want a tough tire here ya go:[align=center]

[/align]

[hr][align=center]Super Swamper TSL/SX [/align]The Super Swamper TSL/SX was designed for extremely tough off road conditions where sidewall strength and protection is needed to withstand the severe scuffing from running in ruts and snagging roots and rocks. This tire has a strong nylon or polyester bias ply body with dual belts under the tread and wrap-a-round lugs. The sidewall lugs not only protect the sidewall but also provide extra traction when climbing out of ruts.

BUT MIND YOU! I had these on my CJ-5 and felt like Fred Flintstone when they were cold. Not to mention the radio was useless when you went over 40 MPH. So I'll stick with my soccer Mom tires that came with it and rethink what I'm going to do in about 40,000 miles.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Back in the day I had one of the first Radial all terraine type tires out there. Gates Commandos on the recycled japanese steel 1975 K5 Blazer.On white steel wagon wheels no less!!!I was stylin, but in the summer with the windows down, all you could hear was those babies singing. I'm with ya, I'll stay with the Duelers until they are toast, and put some nice boots on after that.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 PM

I've had or tried almost every mud terrain tire out there...IMO the newer ones are damn near stock tire quiet...they have a slight humm, but nothing that noticable. My mtz's are always in the 75-80 mph range and they are smooth and quiet. I really like the parnelli jones dirt gripz...they wear a little faster than some but man they are great on the road, in mud,sand,rocks....awesome all around tire. Bf goodrich I hate...too damn noisy, have made no real improvements for over 10 years now...they keep realeasing new tires but they are the same damn thing!! Could you add some siping mr. goodrich...for gods sakes!! Pro-comps are good but costly. almost anything made by interco is going to be slightly louder than the others, but they also wear slower and are great for what they are made for. nitto's are a pretty good tire also, they wear somehat fast and are slightly louder than the mtz's but still a good performing tire. The only tire that I have not personally had on one of my rigs are the mud grapplers....they will be on my dodge in the 40" size very soon though

Old 08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

IK that is funny cuz I had the BFGs for years (consecutively) , the last set maybe 4-5 yrs ago. When I was buyin them in the 80s KUDOS, but damn straight, not much changed after that. I got the same miles on the last set as I did on the first 20 years apart. No improvement there. They got good tires, just I'm done and looking for something else?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:16 PM

I have em now on my dodge and I curse them every time I drive the truck You will really like the mickey thompson mtz's...they really are one of the best mud tires developed in the last 10 years or so. I am stuck between getting the mud grapplers or the iroks for my dodge but I am leaning towards the grapplers just cause they look bitchin! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 08-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Alright, while we are at it, any thoughts on how those bad boys do in the snow. Road crap, and off the path?

Old 08-17-2007, 12:06 AM

I had them on my h3 this past winter and never had to hit 4 lock once. I have mickey thompson baja belted on my jeep grand cherokee and I thought they were top notch...well my wife got the jeep stuck good and the hummer with the mtz's pulled her out without spinning a tire. I am very impresses with them. We had about two foot of snow on the mountain and I made it up and buck down with no butt pucker situationsThey clean themselves really really well.

This spot had about a foot of snow and the poles are there cause it has an underground water spring so it's always a mud pit.....I made it though with no problem at all. I couldn' take a pic after I drove through it because a game warden was coming fast, so I had to shoot up the hill to get out of site

Old 08-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks. They are on the short list. Now I just got to burn out these Duelers.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:55 AM

What is this thing called snow you refer to? [sm=WTFsgign.gif]How far above N28 07.944 do you have to go to find this snow?

Quick Reply: Adventure package has puncture prone tires??