PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding OEM Navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Default Adding OEM Navigation?

I added the OEM NAV to my CTS. It was plug and play with the exception you had to tap the VSS cable. I picked the used NAV unit up on eBay.

Has anyone done this with the H3? I love the big NAV screen. Is the NAV unit and the radio unit the same size?

Old 06-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Default RE: Adding OEM Navigation?

Yup. It fits perfectly in the space. you do need the seperate antenna which is a real PIA to install, but otherwise it is straightforward swap.
Couple of things - the internal amplifier for the basic radio/CD player has much greater output than that of the oem Nav unit. Both the nav unit and upgraded stereo system use the Monsoon amp. If you do not have the Monsoon system, the radio, nav and OnStar volume will be pretty low. You will need an aftermarket amp to bring it up.
In addition, though I know that there is someone else who added a back-up camera to their oem nav unit, the video adapter interface that PAC makes does not work with the H3 oem Nav unit (works with other GM oem Nav units that look nearly exactly yhe same, though). My H3 Nav unit is at PAC right now - they are using it to develop the video interface for our particular unit so that we can hook up a back-up camera or other external video input device.
Good luck, before i took it out to send to PAC, I thought it did a great job of getting me where i wanted to go.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1471/4950E5E3A5F94A79B363C5867F0DC91A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-04-2007, 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: CCMDoc

Yup. It fits perfectly in the space. you do need the seperate antenna which is a real PIA to install, but otherwise it is straightforward swap.
Couple of things - the internal amplifier for the basic radio/CD player has much greater output than that of the oem Nav unit. Both the nav unit and upgraded stereo system use the Monsoon amp. If you do not have the Monsoon system, the radio, nav and OnStar volume will be pretty low. You will need an aftermarket amp to bring it up.
In addition, though I know that there is someone else who added a back-up camera to their oem nav unit, the video adapter interface that PAC makes does not work with the H3 oem Nav unit (works with other GM oem Nav units that look nearly exactly yhe same, though). My H3 Nav unit is at PAC right now - they are using it to develop the video interface for our particular unit so that we can hook up a back-up camera or other external video input device.
Good luck, before i took it out to send to PAC, I thought it did a great job of getting me where i wanted to go.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1471/4950E5E3A5F94A79B363C5867F0DC91A.jpg[/IMG]
That's a big help Doc. I have the Monsoon system! Now to track down a OEM NAV.

I'd like to have a full time rear camera since the H3 lux has terrible rear vision. Even if it was B/W with a small flat screen monitor...maybe in the visor??

Old 06-04-2007, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: D VADER

I'd like to have a full time rear camera since the H3 lux has terrible rear vision. Even if it was B/W with a small flat screen monitor...maybe in the visor??
The PAC thingamabob will have a two position switch so the camera can come on when you put it in revers, or switched to show the rear-view on the nav unit as long as you want. If you want to see both nav and rear-view, I guess you will need to go the seperate route as you said.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: CCMDoc

The PAC thingamabob will have a two position switch so the camera can come on when you put it in revers, or switched to show the rear-view on the nav unit as long as you want. If you want to see both nav and rear-view, I guess you will need to go the seperate route as you said.
I imagine you have to run co-ax for the camera? Can you pick up power or run a power wire with the co-ax? Has anyone done the camera mod? Where did you install the camera?

Old 06-04-2007, 07:17 PM

I added the OEM NAV to my CTS. It was plug and play with the exception you had to tap the VSS cable. I picked the used NAV unit up on eBay.

Has anyone done this with the H3? I love the big NAV screen. Is the NAV unit and the radio unit the same size?
Robert... Unlike the CTS the H3 radio has nothing to do with the car computer so why replace it with a basic oem navigation radio when you have enough space to go and get a better aftermarket navigation unit. I looked at the hummer navigation units and they are ugly in my opinion. If I buy a H3 which is very possible I will not go with the factory navigation.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:41 PM

i know this isn't exactly the same app, but may work for an idea- this is what i did in my avy for a fulltime cam.... HTH...

made this bracket from scratch for the cam...
Name:  DSC00987.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  22.4 KB

before and after on cam location:
Name:  DSC00994.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  29.8 KBName:  DSC00995.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  31.2 KB

3.5" monitor in what used to be the dash opening (excuse poor pic quality):
Name:  DSC01054.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  28.9 KB

and the switches, one for the cam, one for radar, couple of blanks for if i want to add more stuff:

Name:  DSC00978.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  36.2 KB

i basically keep it on all the time. again, HTH for an idea at least..... [sm=smiley1.gif]

Old 06-05-2007, 06:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Tomm

Robert... Unlike the CTS the H3 radio has nothing to do with the car computer so why replace it with a basic oem navigation radio when you have enough space to go and get a better aftermarket navigation unit. I looked at the hummer navigation units and they are ugly in my opinion. If I buy a H3 which is very possible I will not go with the factory navigation.
Good Morning Tomm. Good to see your interest in the H3. I've really been enjoying mine!

I don't want a Tom-Tom type on top of the dash. What NAV were you talking about. I can get a used OEM unit for $800, including maps and antenna.

GSX,
What camera did you buy? I think I would want mine mounted higher in order to see more traffic. I imagine you only see the car immediately behind you?

Old 06-05-2007, 06:35 AM

The hummer uses a standard double din radio. You can easily replace it with tons of aftermarket units that start around the same price as the oem navigation but add tons more features plus look much better.

The unit I would get would be around $1500 and it would be the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 - In-dash navigation/DVD receiver with 30 GB hard drive. The unit is awesome and it gives you the option for bluetooth, you can store 10GB of MP3's so you can store all your music on the hard drive, sirius and xm capable, etc.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Tomm

The hummer uses a standard double din radio. You can easily replace it with tons of aftermarket units that start around the same price as the oem navigation but add tons more features plus look much better.

The unit I would get would be around $1500 and it would be the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 - In-dash navigation/DVD receiver with 30 GB hard drive. The unit is awesome and it gives you the option for bluetooth, you can store 10GB of MP3's so you can store all your music on the hard drive, sirius and xm capable, etc.

Touch screen eh. This unit replaces the OEM radio and plugs perfectly in the radio slot? It comes with the maps?

Quick Reply: Adding OEM Navigation?