PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Kevlar door inserts

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Default RE: Adding Kevlar door inserts

This is dangerous..

Old 01-18-2008, 10:17 PM

It can be dangerous. I found one link for security film. http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automot...to-safety.html

Old 01-18-2008, 11:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Leicajh

Thanks for the comments. I bought, and am building the H3 for storm chasing. Hopefully I'll get some shots this spring. A few years back, a small twister ran between my house and my neighbor. I'm in the country. I put all the women, and dogs in the hall and ran out with a Nikon to shoot it. Too dark!!! Ran back in the house and could hear the rafters craking, and twisting from the torque...too cool!!! Storm blew off parts of my roof and blew out my garage door. Damn I love storms... So far, the Hummer has a Predator - Ramsey 8,500 hiden winch, brush guards, tail light guards, hf/vhf/uhf ham radios and antennas. My wife is not giving me a hard time about the new H3!! Pics will follow.
I had a GPS, Scanner and 2 meter rig in my old car, but I haven't managed to get anything but the GPS installed in my H3 yet. I've been a trained weather spotter for a few years now, but I haven't been able to do any serious storm chasing. I usually just call in reports from where I happen to be when the bad weather hits. Our local NWS office has an amateur radio station inside the "command center." Their call sign is WX1NWS, and they usually start up a weather net whenever its needed. Local club members usually come down the NWS and run the net.

Post some pics of your radio installations! I'm looking for ideas! How did you mount your antennae?

-- Frank, N9DIZ

Old 01-19-2008, 07:18 AM

Are you going to change the windshield to bulletproof glass? Couple of threads here about how the front window seems to ctach every rock that gets kicked up, can't imagine what is going to be flying at you in a twister.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:34 AM

good call trey....never thought of that!

Old 01-19-2008, 11:07 AM

Hummer Academy taught him that

Old 01-19-2008, 03:03 PM

tell me about it trey I have been through 4-5 windshields already. They are coming to fix it again because now I am getting wind sounds.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:49 PM

Thanks, for the service guys. I got 21 years and counting, still in Iraq and retiring when I get back home. Leica, what about the windows? Are you going to go bullet proof for the debris?[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 01-20-2008, 03:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Leicajh

It can be dangerous. I found one link for security film. http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automot...to-safety.html
You can normally find the good security film on eBay at a reasonable price.... anywhere else will rape you for it. It should also work well on the small fully framed windows of the H3.

The windshield is laminated glass so it will hold up well, butI have seen hail go through a windshield.

Don’t know about the space inside the door, but for the level of protection you are looking for it could be applied to the inside of the door panel.

I've never chased a tornado but I've run from a few and seen more than my share as well as the destruction they can leave behind. Yes, I lived in Wichita Falls in 79.

Storm chasersprovide and invaluable service.