PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy, need some feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Default About to buy, need some feedback.

Hey guys, I'm definitely no car pro or guru. But I'm about to buy a 2008 H3, when I say about to buy I mean like in the next two or three days. I'm a female that knows pretty much nothing about vehicles, but I LOVE the h3. I need to know how well the 4x4 normally works considering I live in NC and mudding is a big part of me. But just general knowledge of how well the vehicle holds up and if I should look forward to replacing anything soon. Also how hard is it to put a lift on? Would like to put atleast a 6 in. Lift if not more, also I'm big into customizing so how hard would it be to find teal blue accessories for it. Sorry for that random question, I just defeated ovarian cancer and i want my h3 to be white with teal blue bumper, pushbar, rims ect.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Default About to buy, need some feedback.

Hey guys, I'm definitely no car pro or guru. But I'm about to buy a 2008 H3, when I say about to buy I mean like in the next two or three days. I'm a female that knows pretty much nothing about vehicles, but I LOVE the h3. I need to know how well the 4x4 normally works considering I live in NC and mudding is a big part of me. But just general knowledge of how well the vehicle holds up and if I should look forward to replacing anything soon. Also how hard is it to put a lift on? Would like to put atleast a 6 in. Lift if not more, also I'm big into customizing so how hard would it be to find teal blue accessories for it. Sorry for that random question, I just defeated ovarian cancer and i want my h3 to be white with teal blue bumper, pushbar, rims, lightbar ect.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

I have a 2008 H3 Alpha. It now has 120k miles on it. It has been a relatively trouble free vehicle. We bought it new. Does the truck you are looking at have the off-road package with the locker? Ours does. We live in the country and my wife has no problem getting around in the mud and picks up her co-workers on icy days. If maintenance and repairs are current I wouldn't worry too much on repairs. You should not have any more than any other vehicle with comparable mileage. As to the teal blue you likely will have to have the parts on the truck finished in your color by someone. Don't think you will find those from any vendors.

Last edited by 3hummers; 10-06-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:37 PM

Thank you, and yes it has the locker. I appreciate your information.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:43 PM

How much do you want to spend? The H3 works well off road, but some things to consider:

If you plan to put at least a 6 inch lift I'm guessing you plan to go with larger than 35" tires. The 5 cylinder engine in the non-Alpha is going to feel under powered. Seriously consider finding a V8 (Alpha) H3.

2006 through 2008 have an option rear locker, 2009/2010 have optional front and rear lockers. This is another thing you might want to hold out for.

I don't know if there is a 6" lift kit, you may need to find a local shop and get something custom done. These have independent front suspension, it's not as cheap and easy to lift as something with a solid front axle. That also makes them ride and handle better than something like a Wrangler. I don't think you are going to find teal accessories at all, but I'm sure you can find teal paint. The aftermarket for Hummers is very small compared to Jeeps and other popular vehicles. Hummers have been out of production for 5 years, that matters.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:38 AM

The 08 unless it is an Alpha (V8) will haveask aluminium front diff. Not very strong when you use the skinny pedal alot. I wouldn't recommend an HUMMER mudding to tell you the truth. IFS and weight. Buy a solid axle rig for mudding.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Here is something else to think about. Any H3 with quality tires (33s or 35s... doesn't matter much) will wheel with all your friends on 6" lift kits on their pickups/SUVs once you learn how to drive it. I am not talking about driving through mud because you want to drive through mud, I am talking off road obstacles.

In other words, you are welcome to pipe dream the big lift kit, but I would suggest you first prep the truck for wheeling with Rock rails, UPC, U Bolt Skids and TIRES and learn to wheel it. Then if you think you just got to have the lift kit look, do it.

What Tainter said about mud boggin a heavy H3.

Welcome and good luck.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:28 PM

What I picture as mud bogging, and what I believe the OP is referring to, is completely different from what I and most people think of as wheeling. Deep mud and water pit, mushy wet muddy roads, lots of wheel spinning, and see how far you can get. I could be completely wrong, but if it's what I think it is she needs lots of lift, big mud tires (and a re-gear to match), and v8 power.

A H3 isn't optimal, even the Alpha, but if she wants an H3 there is no reason she can't make it work. It's just going to be more expensive than starting with an older full size SFA truck.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by skeptic
What I picture as mud bogging, and what I believe the OP is referring to, is completely different from what I and most people think of as wheeling. Deep mud and water pit, mushy wet muddy roads, lots of wheel spinning, and see how far you can get. I could be completely wrong, but if it's what I think it is she needs lots of lift, big mud tires (and a re-gear to match), and v8 power.

A H3 isn't optimal, even the Alpha, but if she wants an H3 there is no reason she can't make it work. It's just going to be more expensive than starting with an older full size SFA truck.
Sure, she can spend $8000+ on a solid axle conversion...