PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

About to Buy H3 Alpha

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 11:37 AM
Default About to Buy H3 Alpha

Long story short, I've been looking for a 4th vehicle to have as an extra. Basically, it would be used on weekends only and sit in garage otherwise. I have a work car that can only be used for work purposes, a 1970 Mach 1 Mustang (rarely comes out) and wife has a newer Grand Cherokee. My cousin owns a crane inspection business and bought three red H3s in 2008 to be used to go to the job sites and do the inspections. Two of them have the 5 cylinder, and one is an Alpha with the V8. She just purchased three Chevy Silverados yesterday to replace her fleet and is selling off two of the Hummers. One of the five cylinders she is keeping as a memento to her late husband who drove that one. The 5 cylinder one she is selling has 300K, and Carmax offered her 3K for it. The Alpha has 276K but has new brakes, differential, trans, etc. and is mechanically and cosmetically in very good shape. Whatever Carmax will give her is what she'll sell it to me for. Obviously 276K is super high mileage on a 2008 model year vehicle, but they were always expertly maintained, since they had to be to keep the business going. Anyone on here run any higher than that? I'm pretty sure I'd be running one of the highest mileage H3s out there. Based on the research I've done, the 5.3L is a reliable application. What say you guys? I think it might be too good of a deal to pass on.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:23 AM

All depends on the price. Under 5k maybe.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Yep, if it is cheap enough I would go for it. With that mileage I would not be scared of it if it has had proper maintenance and timely repairs but it won't bring much.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:50 AM

I agree, Maintenance records from day one, and it was definitely properly maintained. If the price is right, it will be worth it. I'm figuring on Carmax offering her around 4K for it, since they offered 3K for the 2008 5 cylinder one which has about 25K more miles. Carmax basically offered 2K below what KBB says is trade in. Carmax can be hit or miss if you are a seller, especially on a vehicle they won't even retail. I'll post some photos of it in a bit. Still waiting on quote from Carmax.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:56 AM

Pics of the fleet

Attached Thumbnails About to Buy H3 Alpha-hummer1.jpg   About to Buy H3 Alpha-hummer2.jpg   About to Buy H3 Alpha-hummer3.jpg   About to Buy H3 Alpha-hummer4.jpg   About to Buy H3 Alpha-hummer5.jpg  

Old 11-07-2016, 03:37 PM

UPDATE: The 5 cylinder was sold to Carmax. I also learned the one she is keeping is also an Alpha, not a 5 cylinder like I thought. However, that one was in an accident, so I wouldn't have wanted it anyway. The one I'm looking at is the other Alpha. I should know this week on the what the value will be, and I'll have to decide whether or not to buy it.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:18 PM

Carmax is going to give low or below wholesale. I'd say it's worth it based on what you describe.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:52 PM

Carmax offered only $3,000 for it, so I don't think I'd ever get a decent Alpha for less, even with really high miles, let alone any decent SUV for $3,000. I'll post pics once I pick it up and after I get it detailed.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:07 AM

Got the H3 home yesterday. Runs greats with newer tires, brakes, trans, transfer case, differential, battery, etc. Mechanically, I've noticed the front brake rotors might be warped a bit, despite being done not long ago. The biggest issue is the steering. The wheel has a noticeable click while turning, and if you are going straight down the road, it will click off to one side of the other. Thus, the steering wheel will be off to one side, but the truck will still be going straight. I read somewhere about a TSB on this, but what do you think, maybe the rack, the column, something else? Otherwise, it's a really sweet truck. Alpha with chrome accessories.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:38 AM

Upper steering shaft knuckle is probably toast. Not an expensive job but you have to remove the entire lower dash and drop the steering column. 4 hr job with hand tools.

Quick Reply: About to Buy H3 Alpha