PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7-Wire Trailer Wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Default 7-Wire Trailer Wiring question

Hi all...long time lurker...second time poster. This site has been a big help, over the year I have owned my unit! I have a question about installing a trailer brake controller and a 7-wire plug outback on a 06 H3 Adv. Package with no Trailer package. I have searched the forums and all I could find is this...

"Why no 7-Wire round plug?!

For some reason, Hummer thought it would be a wise idea to only run 4 wires. However, don't fret, if you need a 7-wire round plug, you are most likely pulling too big of a trailer! Most trailer/boat/PWC applications require the 4-flat wire plug."

Well, I want to pull a approx. 3000 lb trailer...and it does have a 7-wire connection. Has anyone installed a controller and a 7 wire plug on a unit without the trailer package.

And elsewhere, I read about the available wires to the right side of the steering column that on the units with trailering packages have already for the controller...but since I don't have the package, is there a harness I can get to make one work?

Someday if the weather is half decent, I'll gets some pics of the truck and post...

Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Default RE: 7-Wire Trailer Wiring question

Welcome to the forum. What you need is the wiring harness that comes standard on trucks with the towing package. That can be bought and installed at your dealer or most trailer sales places. That will give you the ability to use the round 7 pin plug so you can use a brake controller.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:15 AM

Thanks....I'll have to check out a couple of places here...

Old 05-14-2008, 01:35 PM

The non-trailer pkg equipped H3 can be a pain to wire in!
AlsoifI'm not mistaken, the plug that comes witha stock trailer package is a 4 wire plug BUT the inside is wired for 7 wire. All you need to do isbuy the different plug and you're good to go. It also has the trailer brake tap built in so no need to go out and waste your money on an after market one.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:53 PM

Well found something interesting tonight...even though I don't have the trailering package, I do have the controller wiring under the dash...taped to the courtesy light.

Also I found the four wire blunt cut wires when you open the rear door between the body and the bumper, just need to find the other(s) namely the blue wire...anyone have a clue where this may be at the back?

[IMG]local://upfiles/2647/E83CB50BEF2E4667A1FD55BA83A53E7F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2008, 05:24 AM

I wired my own plug using the H3's trailer harness. This was a 14 pin female plug zip tied just behind the bumper on the LHS of the vehicle. I do have the 2008 Australian RHD H3. The harness even has 40A powerleads, reversing leads, all standard leads, ignition lead and engine ground. It's fully loaded.... So I'm not sure what the story is with the 4 lead version you guys talk about, but we got 14!.... Want Pics ?

Old 05-15-2008, 11:14 PM

Installed a Hidden Hitch tonight, and looked more into the wiring situation. Looks like I'm running wires to the back, as the some of the wires I found last night under the dash dead end into a connector under the hood just behind the battery ...guess the towing package uses a different harness from that point to the rear. Alphadogg was right...

Old 05-16-2008, 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: canuckh3

Installed a Hidden Hitch tonight, and looked more into the wiring situation. Looks like I'm running wires to the back, as the some of the wires I found last night under the dash dead end into a connector under the hood just behind the battery ...guess the towing package uses a different harness from that point to the rear. Alphadogg was right...
Oh yea of little faith. And you first doubted the Dogg? How'd that work out for you?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:17 AM

Saturday I spent in the garage wiring up my 7-way socket and trailer brake controller...turned out it wasn't as bad as I thought not having the wiring in the factory harness.

All I did was purchase about 16' of split loom, some 12 gauge wire and paralleled my new harness along the factory one to the rear. In my new harness I added a fused 12volts live all time circuit, and the trailer brake wire.

At the rear I tied into the existing four-wire circuit, the only thing I don't have is the backup light circuit, I didn't have the time to root around and find & splice that circuit, but I don't think I will need it anyway. Everything was live on the factory harness for the controller under the dash which was a bonus. I used a four pin Molex connector so that I can remove the controller when it's not in use.

Now I need to find a travel trailer I can pull with the 3.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:31 PM

canuckH3,

Did you end up buying a GM harness then? Is there a 3rd party harness available for the H3? Thanks!

Quick Reply: 7-Wire Trailer Wiring question