PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

4wd high lock, and 4wd low lock, traction not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Default update

Well I called the dealership today and they said that I had a metal fork which looked brand new, but they replaced it anyway and that did not fix the problem. He said I have two problems and one involved an electrode box? (Probably not calling it the right thing)- But that it was fried and it is what electrically causes the 4wd to switch back and forth. The other is after they replaced it, they tried to engage and it fried again. They say I have an unknown electrical problem and that they have no idea what it could be so they are going from point A all the way to Z to find out and that they will call me Monday and update me.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:44 AM

Sorry to hear that. Unknown electrical problems are the worst and they seem a little too common on the H3. We had one with one of the taillights constantly having a blown bulb and another with every trailer blowing the trailer light fuse....

Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 AM

News on my 06 H3... Driving it to the shop today it simply cleared itself. All back to working again. Over the weekend I disconnected the wires leading into the transfer case and cleaned them out. They were dry so no reason to suspect a short was the issue. I also checked all the wires leading into the case for any that may have backed out... Nothing. Both fuses were good... The rear E-lock wires look a bit weak but again, no issues. I dove about 20 miles and while rolling up to a stop light I pushed the 4 high switch and it flashed for a good long time. Once I got to the light I shifted into neutral just for the heck of it. As the light changed I shifted back into drive and saw the 4 Lock light come on and the problem was cleared!

Old 03-01-2010, 07:33 AM

My 06 has a wiring problem somewhere between the front and the trailer hookup... the right turn signal trailer wire had to be tapped off the right turn signal of the truck. Trailer guy spent hours trying to figure it out (thought the trailer he just sold me was somehow at fault).

Also my left turn signal bulb has blown out twice... OLD school bulbs and tons of vibration. I heard someone recommend switching over to an LED based system if you have more trouble than you like. They said after market systems are available but they were either too expensive or not the right look (cannot remember why I did not do it).

Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by njhusker
My 06 has a wiring problem somewhere between the front and the trailer hookup... the right turn signal trailer wire had to be tapped off the right turn signal of the truck. Trailer guy spent hours trying to figure it out (thought the trailer he just sold me was somehow at fault).

Also my left turn signal bulb has blown out twice... OLD school bulbs and tons of vibration. I heard someone recommend switching over to an LED based system if you have more trouble than you like. They said after market systems are available but they were either too expensive or not the right look (cannot remember why I did not do it).
Look between your bumper and tailgate. The trailer wires have been known to rub against the body at that point and rub the insulation off the wires and cause problems.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
Look between your bumper and tailgate. The trailer wires have been known to rub against the body at that point and rub the insulation off the wires and cause problems.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to take a look. For about a year, every two months the left taillight would go out and every time we towed the boat, it would blow the fuse for the trailer lights. Then magically both of the problems just went away. Wonder if it had to do with this. It sure had the techs at the Hummer dealership baffled for several full-day visits....

Old 03-02-2010, 08:41 AM

I picked my H3 up today and they said they traced the issue down to a loose connection in a wire that lead to the box that sends the signal to the transfer case to switch from high to low. Everything seems to be working. I did notice a rattle that wasn't there before when she was idling but it went away as I drove her. It sounded like it was coming from the dash as if I had something large vibrating in the glove box, but I don't have anything in it. I am happy to get her back and took her out to the muddy field and everything seems to work now.