PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Lo Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Default 4 Lo Front End Noise

The other day I was climbing a snow mound and I put the truck in 4 Lo and the whole front end was making a clicking noise. Last time that happened the driver side upper control arm loosened up and threw off the alignment a lot. This wasn't the cast this time but I took it to the dealer, and they came back with "No Problem Found". What else is new! My other truck never made noise. Any Thoughts?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:16 AM

Are you sure it wasn't the traction control trying to keep you from spinning?

Last edited by 4DIGR; 02-13-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:05 AM

Not sure about base but on the 09 adv models stab & trac is turned off in 4lo.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by JGBB04
Not sure about base but on the 09 adv models stab & trac is turned off in 4lo.
stab has always turned off in 4L, but I'm pretty sure that traction is never turned off. I know for sure that it doesn't turn off at all in my 06.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:56 AM

Base is the same. Four high has traction control. In four low traction control is disabled. Similar thing happened to me when I had to first use four low. Thought I had it in 4 low, but it wasn't. Traction control clicked, lost power trying to climb a hill. Couldn't figure out what was going on. I finally realized it wasn't in four low.

WGW

Old 02-13-2010, 12:57 PM

I know that this has been gone over before and one of the people that was involved in the discussion was an engineer that developed the H3, and he claims that the traction control never shuts off, and I know that mine works all the time, even in 4L.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by wgwgoldwing
Base is the same. Four high has traction control. In four low traction control is disabled. Similar thing happened to me when I had to first use four low. Thought I had it in 4 low, but it wasn't. Traction control clicked, lost power trying to climb a hill. Couldn't figure out what was going on. I finally realized it wasn't in four low.

WGW
I was definately in 4 lo because all the lights were on that everything was off. It happened as I was midway up the mound. Almost sounded like the hubs were slipping. The Dealer took everything apart but said everything was okay. Still had power but going slow was when I heard the noise.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:19 PM

Probably just traction contol doing it's thing then. The manual mentions that shifting into 4 low shuts down StabiliTrak, but does not mention anything about 4 low shutting down Traction Control. Interesting. The clown at the dealer told me the wrong thing. Go figure. Looks like you shut down StabiliTrak by holding down the StabiliTrak/TCS button. You shut down Traction Control by just pushing the button. Next time you find yourself on a mound of snow and hear the clicking in 4 low, press and release the TCS button and see if the clicking goes away.

WGW

Old 02-13-2010, 09:15 PM

I went out again tonight and was fine all night. No noise and I was even in 4 lo for a good part of the the trail we were on. It only did it once right at the end. I don't know what it is, but the truck drives fine and performs as it should. It is probably the traction control even though I can red line it and spin the tires without interference. I get no noise in Hi, just Lo. Thanks for all the help! I will just live with the few clicks I hear and wheel it until something does break! Hopefully it doesn't but it's not totally indestructable!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:23 PM

From everything I have read on many forums, Traction Control can not be turned off. Stabiltrac is automatically disabled in 4Lo or you can turn it of manually in Hi or Hi lock by holding the button for 10 seconds. The 06 H3 I had, the DIC said that TC was turned off but I think that was an error in programming in the 06's.

Quick Reply: 4 Lo Front End Noise