PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

24 3/4" Too High for Leveling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Default 24 3/4" Too High for Leveling?

I cranked the torsion bars to level the front end to 23 3/8" and got an alignment.

I added new Bilstein Shocks and 1/2" Extended Bump Stops... but the Extended Bump Stops were resting on the A-Arm with no gap.

I cranked the torsion bars 2 more turns and my ride height was 24 1/2" both sides. This gave me about a 1/4" - 3/8" gap on the bump stops.

I got it aligned again... now my drivers side is 24 5/8" and pass side is at 24 3/4"...

Hopefully the shocks will settle a bit... is this height too much?

Old 04-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

The whole idea of the bump stops IS to have them in contact with the A Arms, that's how the factory ride is set. When you lift the front with a T bar adjustment, it creats a gap up off the stock bump stops, hence you can get longer stops to regain the A Arm contact. Look at any stock H3, all of them will be in contact with the bump stops.

IMHO 24.5" is the MAX, but I personally would never recommend going past 24". Most who go higher just end up with problems later and a crappy ride as well.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:40 AM

That's good to know since I read on here somewhere that they should not be resting on the A-Arm and there should be a gap... hmmm

Old 04-22-2010, 08:08 PM

Whatever your OEM height from the ground to the fender +2"... any more and it likes to bounce back and forth whenever you hit a bump and it feels very unstable.

So forget measuring from the ground as the way to determine your height, it should be relative to your OEM height. So if you measure 24" you are looking for 26" max... if you measure 23-1/4" then only go to 25-1/4" Max.

Also I found my bump stops actually touched before and after I leveled my H3T.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 PM

On my leveling lift it says not to go over 24.25 becouse u will run into premature cv joint, tie rod and ball joint wear. And remember ur lift is gonna settle or raise a little i had to adjust it a few times before i got it where i wanted it and settled just fine, then i got it aligned, my H3 sits at 24" even and hasnt moved since. But everyone has different experiences this was mine hope it helped.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hondo Hummer
On my leveling lift it says not to go over 24.25 becouse u will run into premature cv joint, tie rod and ball joint wear. And remember ur lift is gonna settle or raise a little i had to adjust it a few times before i got it where i wanted it and settled just fine, then i got it aligned, my H3 sits at 24" even and hasnt moved since. But everyone has different experiences this was mine hope it helped.
What if you have a base or adventure package... each has different diameter tires which can make it higher or lower from the ground while having the same CV geometry.

Tire wear, alignment, tire pressure, different brand shocks... any number of variables can make your height unique from other vehicles. You can measure a number of stock H3's at the dealership (if they still have them) and even on a flat lot you will find some higher or lower. That is why I don't trust going by a set height... it changes too much. Better to use a delta from your OEM ride height.

From what I understand going up to 2" is ok, some people go as much as 2.25"... from my own experience of testing different heights I found that 2" is about the max of where you want to be.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 04-22-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
What if you have a base or adventure package... each has different diameter tires which can make it higher or lower from the ground while having the same CV geometry.

Tire wear, alignment, tire pressure, different brand shocks... any number of variables can make your height unique from other vehicles. You can measure a number of stock H3's at the dealership (if they still have them) and even on a flat lot you will find some higher or lower. That is why I don't trust going by a set height... it changes too much. Better to use a delta from your OEM ride height.

From what I understand going up to 2" is ok, some people go as much as 2.25"... from my own experience of testing different heights I found that 2" is about the max of where you want to be.
Dont forget, if they were measuring from the ground to fender it would be closer to 36" not 24".

I think they got it right, but Ive always heard not to go over 24".

Old 04-23-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hondo Hummer
Even after getting it perfectly level both sides... when you get it aligned that measurement may change.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:22 PM

Like i said everyone might have a different experiance, in my case after my lift settled i got it aligned and its been at the same height since.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:25 PM

Got it at 24 1/2" both sides... had it aligned twice... both times I drove away with the steering wheel straight/centered.... a day later it was off by a half inch to the right... can't figure out why...