PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2008 Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Default 2008 Transfer case

I am about to change the fluid in my transfer case and had a couple of questions.

Does the 2008 require additional fluid in the TC, to be added through the speed sensor hole?

My owner manual says to use Dexron VI, but I thought I saw a TSB somewhere that says use manual transmission fluid- what should I use?

Old 10-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned
Default new BIBLE,,,?

this topic would win IF it were based SOULy on the NUMBER of resurrections.
do sum searchin and you will find endless discussion on this topic on which i do not PONTIFICATE

someone will remember where

Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by CARdiac
I am about to change the fluid in my transfer case and had a couple of questions.

Does the 2008 require additional fluid in the TC, to be added through the speed sensor hole?
NOPE, that is only for the 06 and early 07 H3s with VIN#s under a specific #.

Originally Posted by CARdiac
My owner manual says to use Dexron VI, but I thought I saw a TSB somewhere that says use manual transmission fluid- what should I use?
Best bet, to have your 5/100 warranty cover it is to contact your servicing dealer and ask them what they say.

I have seen manuals that state Dextron and others that state manual trans fluid. I talked to the service manager and the trans/T-case tech and he said he uses the manual trans fluid on T-case changes and rebuilds. So, it looks like it depends on the tech. I know that does not help a whole lot.

Last edited by TAINTER; 10-04-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
NOPE, that is only for the 06 and early 07 H3s with VIN#s under a specific #.
Thanks, I saw that but then the repair manual says to add fluid through the speed sensor for the 2008... my VIN is well after those numbers.

Best bet, to have your 5/100 warranty cover it is to contact your servicing dealer and ask them what they say.

Originally Posted by TAINTER
I have seen manuals that state Dextron and others that state manual trans fluid. I talked to the service manager and the trans/T-case tech and he said he uses the manual trans fluid on T-case changes and rebuilds. So, it looks like it depends on the tech. I know that does not help a whole lot.
Thanks, it is confusing that the owners manual says Dexron but the repair manual says manual trans fluid.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
this topic would win IF it were based SOULy on the NUMBER of resurrections.
do sum searchin and you will find endless discussion on this topic on which i do not PONTIFICATE

someone will remember where
Thank you, very helpful. If I had not done the searches I would not have know about the different issues (i.e. TSB). I have read through many of the posts and there does not seem to be a definitive answer.

But thank you again

Old 10-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Banned
Default after serious consideration,,,

ive concluded this;
front wheel drive vehicles use atf(not the gun running feds) because everything in the drive train tranny,chain drive are in one soup. since there are clutches and bands,it requires atf and the gears and chain get stuck with it,,,,even though the 90 weight is a better juice for them. hence a smart tech knowing this uses the heavy bodied stuff in the tr case

its all metal to metal gears in the transfer case just like a stick shift/diff, so why not?!!

the gears in the tranny would love it but not the clutches/bands.

more details,,,in the old days,limited slip diffs with clutches used the heavy stuff ,with a friction additive to make the clutches happy.

so,,,what does a stick shift front drive car use????,,,its all metal to metal huh?

Last edited by drtom; 10-05-2011 at 08:00 AM. Reason: details
Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 AM

Your best bet is to use what your owners manual calls for. If something happens GM can't claim you out in the wrong fluid type.
If your calling a dealer for advice you had better ask for the shop foreman, I have very seldom seen a service 'advisor' who knew one end of the car from the other.