PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2008 Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Default RE: 2008 Backup Camera

Hey Snic, which module do I need...help me out man.... And which camera will work best with the module. Thanks Snic and all you other guys

Old 01-06-2008, 09:19 AM

Guess I need one of these. Backed into a police car last night right after he told me to get out of the fire lane and take my chancesof getting door dings in a parking space like the rest of the world.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:07 AM

I have the 2008 H3 and am trying to get the PAC interface - it is NOT on their production catalog.
I have a voice mail into them and will post once I get an answer. (hopefully this week!!)
The AV Electronic module will work (see previous link)-

But the pac is the preferred. I have talked to owners with the H3 and the PAC module and they like it - no problems with it.

Hey sattv did you have to get a module or how is you camera hooked in??

steve

Old 01-06-2008, 05:41 PM

Hummer Driver said: "I bought that little wireless camera system from Target (Walmart's got'em too) for under a hundred bucks. Works great. I mounted mine on my visor, hid the wire under the rubber boot that goes up the front left pillar. Wired it into my hitch harness, took an hour tops. WORKS GREAT, I have mine wired to my backup lights so the camera only works in reverse. That's all I need it for and it works perfectly. I live in Dallas and was worried about possible interference but other than the occasional microblip the picture is in color and is rock solid."

So.... I went out to Target and bought one to try it out. It was easy to install, and I also tapped intothe wiring for the tow package, but I'm having a problem, I don't seem to have any power to the camera. According to the H3 owner's manual, the tow package has the "light green" wire for back up lights and the white wire for ground. So, I wired the red wire from the camera to the light green wire from the tow package, and the black wire from the camera to the white wire from the tow package. (The camera instructions indicate to use the red wire for 12v power and the black wire for ground). When I put the vehicle in reverse, I seem to have no power to the camera. It's dark now, so I'm going to check my wiring when I can see better, but any ideas? Perhaps I did not squeeze the crimps tight enough to tap into the power on the light green wire in the tow package, or perhaps the H3 manual is wrong about the wire colors?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide (for those of you who have tried this).

Jeff

Old 01-07-2008, 04:02 AM

Do you have a volt meter that you can check for voltage when in reverse? Yup, it takes two to do this!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:22 AM

ORIGINAL: sattv

I have installed a Boyo Full color cam ........IT IS PERFECT!!!!
How hard was it to install?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:55 AM

Thanks Vader - I don't have a volt meter, but I can pick on up at Radio Shack. I'll do that and check my wiring and try again, but probably not till this weekend. Regards,

Jeff

Old 01-07-2008, 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: jmH3

Thanks Vader - I don't have a volt meter, but I can pick on up at Radio Shack. I'll do that and check my wiring and try again, but probably not till this weekend. Regards,

Jeff
Make sure your wife doesn't run over you when your checking the voltage. Engage the parking brake.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:36 AM

Well.. (speaking about the wireless cam again)I got a volt meter as vader suggested and I can confirm that when I shift into reverse and test the light green wire in the hitch package (with positive probe) and the white (ground) wire (with negative probe) I get a good 12V response on the meter. I also tested the meter on a 12V lantern battery and measured almost the same exact reading I got from the backup hitch light green wire and white wire. BUT... the camera will still not work when conntected to those two wires (red camera wire to light green back up light wire and black camera wire to white ground wire). I tested the camera by connecting it directly to the 12V lantern battery and it works! (red cam wire to positive battery terminal and black cam wire to negative battery terminal). Has anyone experienced this problem? I sent Hummer Driver a message to ask him how he connected the camera to his tow package wiring but I have not received a response. I also logged a message on the Vr3 tech support site.

The only thing I am thinking is that perhaps for some reason the white ground wire is a problem, but otherwise I am totally stumped! For some reason, the camera likes being connected to the + and - on the 12V lantern battery but does not work when connected to the + and Ground on my tow package, even though the volt meter indicates 12 volts are present in both the tow package and on the battery.

Thanks in advance to any additional information/suggestions.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:38 PM

Problem Solved: I had tosecure the black camera wire to the H3 frame (as ground) and voilla.. it works. The red camera wire is connected to the light green back up light power cable from the tow package. I'm not sure why the fat white cable in the hitch package (that is labeled as "Ground") does not work. I'll ltake somepictures and post a full report after I get this thing more situated and use it a few times. I eventually want to get the system that integrates with the NAV unit, but I have had2 close calls lately and I wanted a quick fix to see behind me. Sitting in my driveway right next to my kitchen, I get a clear color picture with just an occasional line on the screen (and, I have several 2.4 Ghz wireless phones and a 2.4Ghz baby monitor within 20 feet of where I park, so I was impressed with the wireless video signal right off the bat) I think this $99 unit will fill the gap until I decide on (and can afford) a full wired and integrated cam system.

Quick Reply: 2008 Backup Camera