PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Hummer H3

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 09:14 AM
Default 2006 Hummer H3

Hey guys, I am looking at purchasing an inexpensive hummer to drive daily and beat up on the trails.

I found a 2006 with 150k miles, looks extremely clean period, but especially for the miles. It also has the adventure package with rear locker which I have been having trouble finding.

The reason I'm here is because this forum has been a plethora of information and the car has a CEL on, P0171 and the drivers side window is inoperable.

From my research it looks like that code is a relatively simple fix (dirty MAF, misplaced wire, intake crack or hose not plugged in all the way etc) nothing too major.

I'm wondering, if the drivers window is the only thing not working, it is probably just a regulator, right?

Anything else I should look out for? I know 06's have head issues but I'm thinking at 150k its either been done or not going to happen. Any advice on that front?

The car is listed for $6k and I'm thinking I can negotiate him down further. Good buy?

Old 02-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Intake bolts have been known to come loose and cause a leak, but that usually causes a rough idle and may or may not throw a CEL/code.

For the head issue, all you need to do is check the vin #.... from an old post of mine:

"The S/Ns affected is any 2006 H3 lower than 287591 .... the first one started with 100,001, your truck build date will be Nov. 06 or earlier. Not all have the problem, but some could. The head issue affected not only the I5, 4s and 6s were subject to the same issues. Call GM with your vin# and build date (from the sticker in the driver's door jam) and ask.

Just in case you're gonna say, wow they didn't even build that many 3s? The VINs are assigned at the same Shreveport plant building Colorados and Canyons. Their VIN sequence unit #s are mixed in and subject to the same TSB re: the head/valve issue.

The recall and extended warranty was for very early 2006s, those with the 3.5L L52 Motors built before March 31, 2006. That is not to say some 3.7L LLRs have never had a valve or head issue. All the Atlas motors built since 4/1/06 have the new hardened valve seats."

Old 02-02-2017, 12:04 PM

Hmm, I'm definitely in the vin range so thats a little worrisome. I will call GM and see if its affected, and hopefully get some service reports to see if it has been done.

If it has been replaced I should not need to worry about it, correct? Or was it simply a band-aid fix?

Old 02-03-2017, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TeeJay
Hmm, I'm definitely in the vin range so thats a little worrisome. I will call GM and see if its affected, and hopefully get some service reports to see if it has been done.

If it has been replaced I should not need to worry about it, correct? Or was it simply a band-aid fix?
The fix was to replace the old head (w/o hardened valve seats) with a new one with hardened valve seats. If that H3 is in the vin range and runs without issues, it likely was fixed long ago. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:29 PM

Beautiful color. I sometimes wish I had the green instead of black. 6K seems legit.