PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Rear Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Default 2003 Rear Hatch

Greetings and Happy New Year!!!!!

I have a 2003 H2 and the rear hatch will not open. I have tried opening it by using the remote and the driver's side lock/unlock pivot button. I also removed the side fuse panel on the left-hand side inside the door and checked the designated 20 amp fuses and they were okay.

I read on this very forum, after a forum search, some questions that were posted back in February and April of 2010 about the possible removal of the rear hatch inside panel to access the "unlock mechanism" if that is the correct term. However, I did not see any definitive conclusions to how the "panel" was to be removed. In addition, there were references to a solenoid and cable in another posting. I can hear the locking mechanism when I activate either the remote or door lock. I presume it is unlocking but I cannot verify it.

I am going to attempt to correct this fault myself but need some help. Do any of you have any recommendations as to how I can address this issue? Thank you in advance and this is my very first posting on "Hummer Forums." Please excuse the long-winded description.

Zack

p.s. I also looked at GMPartsDirect.com and reviewed the diagram for the Lift Door. I don't know where to start.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:39 PM

The locking bolts in the sides of the hatch may be sticking, Try pulling on the handle while banging on the side edges of the hatch. Two guys will do better than one. If it opens then clean and lube the retacting lock bolts. Don't laugh...more than one poster on here has fixed it this way

Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 AM

Olfart,

Thanks!!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Default inside tire pressing on door.

I had the same problem, found out the inside spear tire moved back and was pressing on door, I removed the tire from where the tire bolts to and was able to push the door from the outside and then it open, Kyle

Old 01-13-2011, 12:44 PM

UPDATE:

I tried to find out what was preventing the rear lift door from opening by troubleshooting by pulling on the outside handle and having the door pushed on the inside and I also attempted to remove the inner liner with no success. I finally took the H2 in and the technician found a piece of hard rubber that had wedged itself in the lock on the passenger side thus preventing the door from being opened.

I am now a really happy camper. Hope this information proves useful, as a possible remedy, in case any of you experience this in the future with your rear lift door. I do not know how the tech found the culprit, but he was able to achieve what I could not.

Thanks again to all who applied.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:22 AM

Zack, thanks for the update. How did the technician get into the place with the hard rubber wedged in? It was actually in the lock?

Old 01-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Thumbs up

TheLimoGuy,

From what I was told by the service writer, the technician was able to wedge into the lock far enough from inside the vehicle to find the rubber piece. I tried the same method; however, success was not to be had. The H2 was taken to the same body shop back in November 2010 for some body work resulting from someone rearending me. I wonder if the work performed back then had anything to do with the rubber piece being lodged in the locking mechanism.

In the future, I will ensure both locking mechanisms are lubed and checked for any debris.