PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 H1 died again HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Default 2000 H1 died again HELP

My 2000 H1 (SVO Conversion) stalled on me again a couple of days ago. I was running on veggie, when it just cut out. In the past, if I had fuel delivery issues on Veggie, it would sputter and spit like running out of fuel. This time, it just quit, liketurning the key off. I switched back to diesel and cranked the batteries dead, NOTHING!!! Usually, it will start up after about 30 seconds cranking. This time, all I could get was a little chug about once a revolution. This also produces a smoke ring (like the ones Grandpa used to make with his pipe) from the tailpipe. My second thought was PMD. I have a spare in my garage. I tried it, but nothing happened. I have gone through 3 IP's as a probable result of the SVO. Each one leaked fuel when the engine was cranked. Right now, there is no fuel leaking.

Does this sound like a vapor lock? What do you guys think I should do next. I plan to crack a couple of injector lines and see if fuel comes out there. I am fearful that the IP may have broken somewhere else and is not delivering fuel with the right timing. Does anyone know how to check for this without pulling the IP and having it tested. I have a call in to Mike (hummech), and am anxious to hear from him. I hate to keep pestering thepoor guy with my problems. He has been a great help so far with other issues. If anyone knows anything I should look at, please respond, or call me at....

440-915-7815.

Thanks

Doug

Old 01-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Default RE: 2000 H1 died again HELP

hello doug,
it sure sounds like PMD but who knows. does the check engine light come on when you turn the ignition key to run? it may have a blown fuse to the ECM. you could also check to see if you have any return fuel pressure. i would also check for fuel pressure at the port between the fuel filter housing and the injection pump. it is mounted on the a/c compressor mounting bolts. check there and tell me what your reading is. most likely a electriacl problem being the fuel system is self bleeding.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:15 PM

Yeah Mike, that's what I was thinking. I do have an inline fuel pressure guage that reads about 5 psi on the diesel and veggie side when I turn the key to ign. I didn't check for the CHECK ENG light yet. I'll do that. I have a pretty good code reader, but I lent it out to my boss last month and still haven't seen it. I also have a very simple one that will just give a number to cross ref. I looked at the fuse listed fuel pump/ecm 20A. It looks fine. I have blown that one before and I noticed that when it is bad, the "wait" for glow plug light is out. It is coming on now. Is there another fuse I could look for? I did recently lengthen my pmd harness and relocate the PMD to the battery tray with a heat sink. The heated veggie oil was a concern, since the PMD is supposed to be cooled by the incoming fuel right? I'll meter out the harness and look for opens there. Would the fuel pressure on the A/C mount show in the initial IGN phase without the engine running? As far as return pressure, I tried to blow air through the return line, and had a little resistance, but it is a long run to the tank. I do get fuel from the stock lift pump before the IP. I did have problems before with the return line being blocked. I think I mentioned that to you on the phone. That was from the stock switching valve not working properly. I replaced it and the truck ran fine. Is there any way that I can rule out the IP without removing it (BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, DON'T WANT TO DO IT AGAIN[:'(])? Bummer is that is is only about 15* F outside, and there is no room in the garage right now. I may just wait a few days for it to warm up. No signs of that anytime soon though.

ONCE AGAIN THANKS MIKE!!!!! You're a lifesaver.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:54 PM

Well I metered my extension harness out and found no opens. I tried plugging in another PMD, but noticed that the (new) one had a #4 resistor with a #6 in the orig. I swapped them over and tried agian. Still no start. I still get black smoke whisping out of the tailpipe.I checked fuel pressure at the intake side of the IP and I'm getting 5 lbs. I don't seem to have any fuel going to the return line. But I'm only cranking, so I don't know if I'm supposed to have any. I noticed this by disconnecting the return line before ther metal line and putting therubber hose end into a bottle. I don't see any fuel coming out when I crank (should there be?).

The repair manual tells me to
"disconnect the FSD and with a DVOM probe fuel inject control cir at harness terminal A. Crank eng and check voltage for 1.2v."

Does anyone know what wire is terminal A? (color)

Old 01-26-2009, 08:48 PM

Correction..... I DO have fuel coming from the return line.

I looked closely at the harness and saw that there ARE markings identifying the terminals.

I checked terminalA and I do have at least 1.2v while cranking.

The next step is to test terminal C with a test light to B+ (battery + I assume) test light comes on.

Next states to check terminal C to ground while ign on/eng off (no light) Manual tells to repair open in ign feed circuit.

Now, if I can find this............
(I would suspect that something I did while extending my harness is open)
If not, any suggestions where to start looking???
Does the polarity of this terminal change? Mike????

Old 01-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Better Pm Mike if you want a quick answer

Old 01-26-2009, 10:55 PM

Thanks,

Quick is not necessarily imperative. But I will PM him anaway. He has been a tremendous help so far.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 AM

hello.that happened to me twice.at the end was the connector at the pump sensor.a black 4 pins at the top of the pump.clean it and restore the contact of the pins,try it may help[sm=goodidea.gif]