PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 way radio, good news/bad news

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Default 2 way radio, good news/bad news

I was read to post two great mods for radio/ant installations when 2 problems happened, I lost my high speed connection,no pix!
2nd, when I hey a 100 w radio my lights dim and my am radio goes dead!
the am radio display goes out!

the 2 way is connected direct to the batt with heavy leads and is well grounded. ive installed radios for years and know how to do it.
the ant is on the spare with a new,very strong,ugly mount I just devised with three threaded rods thru the 3 unused holes in the spare , sorry no pix yet!
the back door is grounded to the truck with heavy wide copper braided ground strap.
the radio is on a two piece HEAVY ,ugly metal bar stock bolted with the passenger seat bolt ,inside side. it puts the radio at my fingertips and someone can actually sit there too!!
so it works good,is STRONG and solid,,,but it knocks out the radio and I fear might blow a computer module.

any feedback on similar systems is welcome.
running vhf ham 2 way at 20 to 50 watts with roof mount ant is ok.
the rear mount is for 100 watt hf radio on 3.5 to 29 MHz using an sg230 automatic tuner or an icom ah3.

btw when I say ugly I mean I make no effort for pretty looks, only solid function so the fussy ones wont like this!!

Last edited by happythree; 07-14-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: add stuff
Old 07-14-2013, 08:13 PM

Try moving the antennae, the heavy RF transmissions could be screwing up the computer, this has happened before using only a 5 watt CB . If you think not, hold the antennae and key the mike. Have burn ointment ready.
If no luck, make sure the tramsmission system is properly grounded and shielded. Check frequencies for the band your are using including any harmonics, that could be traveling right back to the keyless entry and/or the TPMS, causing your problems.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Default update

pix I hope of my ugly but rugged two way additions.
all is well so far, got some ??on the two auto tuners im using.
this should be good for cb/ham.

soon pix of window screens to keep bugs out when napping!!
I have three underway.

oh, the rod going forward for fore/aft support goes to a bolt in a hole just above the carpet,nicely put there by gm!!!
the hole that is..

the spare three bolts are 1/2 in all thread dubble nutted to the spare in three holes I added in the bracket, careful there,no messing with the wheel holes!!
the rear plate is 1/2 in phenolic insulationcut roughly to size,and an old ball mount from yesteryear!

Attached Thumbnails 2 way radio, good news/bad news-ugly-mount.jpg   2 way radio, good news/bad news-ugly-bracket-2.jpg  

Last edited by happythree; 07-21-2013 at 01:07 PM.