PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

+12V (switch) wire in Hummer H3

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 03:34 AM
Default +12V (switch) wire in Hummer H3

Guys I need some extreme help. I just need to know witch is the +12Volts (Switch) wire or from were can I pull one out. I just need it to hook up one wire from my Uni-Ipod interface, so I wont drain my battery by using the +12Volts (Continuos) wire "Yellow". I call the manufacter of the Uni-Ipod and they recomment me the ignition ****ch wire. So whenere I turn on the car, thats when my Ipod Interface will turn ON and NOT leave the Interface ON if I use the +12V (Continuos) "witch can be pull from anywhere...!!! But thats NOT the point tho....Please if anyone know from where can I pull a +12V (Switch) wire (Not conitinuos power), please reply....I really appreciate the help.

PD: It could be from the ignition switch or any other place or component tho, I just need to know whats the color of that wire and from where its coming from. Thanks again.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:58 AM
Default RE: +12V (switch) wire in Hummer H3

I have a cd-rom that has every wire in the h3 on it, in the radio power wire harness the switched 12 volt power wire is the red/white wire. I think you should also be able to use the power antenna wire so the ipod would turn on when the radio is turned on and not whenever teh truck is started. The power antenna lead is the yellow wire in the same radio power wire harness.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:36 PM

call your local car audio retailer they will tell you what wire you need

Old 05-29-2006, 04:09 PM

umm...why does he have to call anybody, I thought my reply was pretty straight forward. Don't understand what is so hard with finding a switched power lead anyway, all you need is a test light or voltmeter and about 10 minutes.

it's very easy, take the power harness plug out of the back of the radio, find the red/white wire, tap into it and your done.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:58 AM

Importkiller thanks a lot man...!!! I got it working perfectly now, but I did it before I get to your reply man, but thanks anyways...BTW I like your idea to hook it up with the radio's antenna, It sounds more for what I was looking for...But I'll do that this weekend...!!!

Now here is what I did...! Since I have an amplifier for mine subwoofers, I had to ran the +12V wire from the amplifier to the fuse box under the hood...and since I needed a +12 V Switch connection, I came up with the idea of hooking up the RED Wire (+12V Switch) from mine Uni-Pod Interface to that +12 V wire from the amplifier since it was already on my way to he installation, and close to the radio, I just had to pull it and hook it with the other wire....I worked perfectly. and yes it happend to be a (+12V Switch).

NOW, here its my problem: I don’t know why but I’m getting a weird noise when I crank all the volume up with the Ipod disconnected or connected but in PAUSE mode. The noise is kindda roaches fighting in my sound system or speakers...its very weird noise...It sounds like the line is dirty....!!! Again, you only can hear it when it's on MID-HIGH or HIGH. Why is that? Is it because I'm using the +12V wire from the amplifier and its interfering or is it because i'm using the same ground place for the AUX adapter, Ipod Interface and another wire from the Ipod Interface all together in the same place???.

Please I really need to get rid of that noise ASAP, or otherwise I'm gonna break the whole dash panel and destroy the freaking Ipod cause that noise is freaking me out dude...!!! I really appreciate your help man...!!! Thanks again.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:54 PM

sounds like you are getting some kind of alternator hiss. Is your amp grounded to the frame? Don't ground tothe body or to a ground wire, always ground your amp to the trucks frame. Also Leave the ground and the power wire to the amp solo and run other power and grounds to other acc.

As far as the amp, the main power 12v+ should come directly from the battery, DO NOT USE THE FUSE PANEL!!! The switched 12v+ for the amp should come from the power antenna lead of the radio, often also called teh remote turn on lead. That you can tap into for the switched power of the ipod also, as long as you are running a heavy guage power from the amp to the battery and a heavy gauge ground to the frame you should be ok with noise. The ground wire should be the same or thicker gauge wire as the power lead. I always use 1 gauge but it depends on what power amp you are running. Remember thicker is always better!

Old 06-06-2006, 01:53 AM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

sounds like you are getting some kind of alternator hiss. Is your amp grounded to the frame? Don't ground tothe body or to a ground wire, always ground your amp to the trucks frame. Also Leave the ground and the power wire to the amp solo and run other power and grounds to other acc.

As far as the amp, the main power 12v+ should come directly from the battery, DO NOT USE THE FUSE PANEL!!! The switched 12v+ for the amp should come from the power antenna lead of the radio, often also called teh remote turn on lead. That you can tap into for the switched power of the ipod also, as long as you are running a heavy guage power from the amp to the battery and a heavy gauge ground to the frame you should be ok with noise. The ground wire should be the same or thicker gauge wire as the power lead. I always use 1 gauge but it depends on what power amp you are running. Remember thicker is always better!

Thanks a lot bro, its sounds like its gonna work out. I really appreciate your help and I'll let you know if it worked out or not....Hopefully everything work out fine...Thanks again bro...!!!

Old 06-06-2006, 03:58 PM

importkiller can i use that wire for my off road lights instead of running to the fuse box.
or do you think it my damage the radio if it blows but the fuse should just blow right.

THANKS

Old 06-06-2006, 04:03 PM

I know a little bit about lectricity...

Mark, I don't know for sure, but the wiring that handles the radio is probably not large enough in AWG (American wire gauge) to handle the extra current (amps) that the off road lamps would pull...IMPO, I think you should establish a seperate circuit from the fuse block just for the lights..

But what do I know?

Old 06-06-2006, 04:05 PM

Thanks Dennis
Do you think a 12 gauge wire be ok

Quick Reply: +12V (switch) wire in Hummer H3