PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$3800 whoops while having fun

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Default $3800 whoops while having fun

Well I broke my ride while wheelin with some modified jeeps outside of Boulder Colorado. I decided to go to Left Hand Canyon to try out some of the many trails in there because i heard it was a blast. Well I followed some Highly Modified jeeps down a trail called Carnage Canyon Trail and it holds to it's name. I was on a 20° off camber hill when my rear tires hit some loose rocks and slid to the right and off the edge of the shelf road into some loose dirt. My front tires were still on the rock and my rear tires had dug themselves down to the frame. As i was getting winched out I had to gas it a little because of a low rated winch one of the jeeps had. All of a sudden there was an explosion and fluid started spilling everywhere under the rig. A quick crawl under the truck revealed I had split my Front Differential casing in two seperate pieces and grenaded my ring and pinion. In the pic you can see the casing split near the rear of the Diff. I have heard of problems with this happening on other H2's but not a recall yet.

It is in a 4x4 shop right now getting a new front diff, Idler arm, and fabtech Tierods.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Default RE: $3800 whoops while having fun

That sucks. I have not heard of the diff breaking.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:47 PM

Damn...That BITES!![:@]

Old 12-14-2006, 05:58 PM

Holy hell ... man that sucks, hope you get the rig back on the trails soon!

Old 12-14-2006, 06:28 PM

That really sucks. That kind of damage is my greatest fear when I go off road. Body damage is one thing, but an injury like that means big bucks to get it into town, then big bucks to fix. OUCH!
I'd love to see the pic, but all I get is a little red X.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:19 PM

I actually drove it off the trail 4 miles to the trail head and drove it 40 miles back to the hotel. It would only move in 4High Lock and 4 Low Lock. The good thing is the gears didn't shatter apart they all stayed together and the gear attached to the drive shaft was not making contact with the ring and pinion so I was able to drive it in 2wd.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:34 PM

That is a major plus when you can do that. I've often thought about what I would do if that happened to me, and hopefully I could remove the half shafts and front drive shaft without causing more problems. This reason is why I like full floater rears as well. You can yank the axle shafts and cap the ends with cardboard and plastic, and pull the driveshaft and limp home in front wheel drive mode. Once the warranty is used up, I will probably cut a Dana 60 down so I have the full floating rear, or find a Dana 44 that will work that can be converted. I will also address any issues with pulling the front apart and being able to drive home without it working.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:36 PM

By the way, is that case aluminum or cast iron? With all of the ribbing on the outside, it looks aluminum.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:18 AM

It is an aluminum case. After speaking with other H2 owners they told me you can remove the front drive shaft and not loose fluid out of the Transfer case. I have not tried it but i am going to ask the mechanic if it is true. So if i run into this problem again I will be able to tackle the problem easier. I have also picked up a used front diff for about $200 that has 20k miles on it just in case i break another one. I can truely say that this will not stop me from wheeling and I will return to Carnage Canyon to tackle that beast trail that took me out but I will be more prepared.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:56 AM

That's bad new bro.

Quick Reply: $3800 whoops while having fun