PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Hummer H2/H3 E85 Flex Fuel upgrade/conversion kits Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Default RE: Hummer H2/H3 E85 Flex Fuel upgrade/conversion kits Info

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

You know I was watching this show the other day about alternative fuel. They were talking about another interesting aspest of E85 production, being the various crops from which the ETOH can be grown from. Corn was about the least efficient because they said for every oneunit of fossil fuel (gas/deisel etc.) to plant, cultivate, harvest, haul and produce theETOH from corn, they only get 1.4units of ETOH back out. They predict that when they figure out to use switchgrass to produce ETOH it will yield 4units of ETOH perunit of fossil fuel??? The switchgrass stuff isn't even figured out yet so it is just based on predtictions from aggricultural eggheads. They also talked about units of ETOH per acre, corn was very weak. It was allnews to meand clearly shows there is no simple answer yet.
Brazil uses a lot of ethanol. As I recall, their regular gas is blended 25% with ethanol with 40% of there fuel being primarily ethanol (think E85 but it is more than 85%). Why does it work so well in Brazil? They use sugar cane which is much more efficient than corn.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:51 PM

Steve, what you say about Brazil is correct but that is not the whole story. Brazil started subsidizing sugar cane ethanol production probably 30 years ago to help their starving farmers and because they could not really afford to be competitive in the open market for oil in that period of their history. So, for yearsboth the price of ethanol was government regulated andthe farming of source products i.e. sugar cane and baggasswas subsidized. So, whatdid that get them today?

1. "The ethanol program was not perfect and brought a host of environmental and social problems of its own. Sugarcane fields were traditionally burned just before harvest, in order to remove the leaves, kill any snakes and fertilize the fields with ash. The smoke produced each season produces the same amount of carbon polution as the sugarcane would have produced if it were left in the field to rot, which is relatively little. However, the smoke greatly impacts the sugarcane-growing parts of the country, turning the sky gray and air hazardous throughout the harvesting season. As winds carry the smoke into nearby towns, air pollution goes critical and respiratory problems soar. This practice has been decreasing of late, due to pressure from the public and health authorities."

2. "Since sugarcane only requires hand labor at harvest time, this shift also created a large population of destitute migrant workers who can only find temporary employment as cane cutters (at about US$3 to 5 per day) for one or two months every year. This huge social problem has contributed to political unrest and violence in rural areas, which are now plagued by recurrent farm invasions, vandalism, armed confrontations, and assassinations."

Wow!! We should sign up for this government program tomorrow. Maybe we could pay the Brazillian government billions as consultants.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:23 PM

I see lawn mowers cutting grass at tax payer's expense along highways and other public lands nationwide. As tax payers we get nothing back except the beautification of these public lands. The public works people grab a pay check...well earned.

It seem logical that we could easily be planting switch grass for use to create ethanol. Switch grass is better than corn and sugar cane as an added benefit. Planting switch grass would be like having an insurance policy...maybe it's worth pursuing.

Test plots of switchgrass at Auburn University have produced up to 15 tons of dry biomass per acre, and five- year yields average 11.5 tons—enough to make 1,150 gallons of ethanol per acre each year.
Source:
http://bioenergy.ornl.gov/papers/misc/switgrs.html

Old 02-28-2008, 04:02 PM

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Detail?no=117

$424.00 for H3 flex fuel conversion looks good...even if it's a waste of money it's not that big of a waste.

I see oil topped $102 per barrel today...a petro company in Nigeria got attacked today...a Texas oil refinery caught fire a week ago...and gold topped at $975 an ounce. Who knows what's up? But flex fuel just helps to keep more options on the table.

So HummerGuy...is this a dead issue for you or is it still in consideration?

If the octane is rated at 105 then it should be a serious consideration for H2 and H1 owners...for us H3 using regular it's less of an incentive.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

IF E85 ever goes down more then 50 to 75 cents less then regular, I'll still buy this kit. Doing the math, spending $430 to save .50 a gallon, I wouldn't start saving money and re-cupe my costs until I got past my first 860 gallons of fuel. This would take me approx. 1 1/2 years before I started to benefit from having it. By then I'll probably have a second car and my Hummer may not even be around anymore. Who knows.

I'll wait for E85 to get cheaper before I do the kit. If it does for some miraculous reason, I'll suck it up and buy it.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by HummerGuy
Update: (scroll further down to see system information)

I've been a bit busy that past couple of days. I'm using what free time I have to talk to people about upgrading the H3 to E85, getting in touch with the companies that make the kits, etc. I'm getting 50/50 Yes and No mixed opinions about doing it. Some sources inside GM say it can be done with no problem, others say don't do it because it may cause some kind of advanced deterioration of your fuel system components.

The point is, I'm really interested in doing this, so I'm going to find out as much as I can, and may or may not do it. I have a '06 H3 3.5L. Right now, I'm trying to get a copy of the instructions because I still can't figure out how to safely remove the components I need to get to the Fuel Injectors. Little things like that are getting in the way.

The only EPA-approved company that makes this system is based here in Chicago, about 25 minutes from where I work. That's the company I'm focusing my energy on right now.

So, for anybody who's interested, I'll keep you updated on what I find out. So far from my research and talking to people whom I have business ties with through our company, alot of the negative points I've been told about it damaging your engine, etc. isn't all true. I'm still gathering more info. The last thing I want to do is destroy my fuel system, but so far, that doesn't look possible.
Anyone know about a CNG conversion?

Old 12-02-2009, 06:09 AM

I am interested in changing my setup, I have the same vehicle in the video posted. Please let me know. Thank you for looking into it.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:40 AM

The real effects of CO2...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/P2qVNK6zFgE

Old 02-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned

feds definetly got head up xxs,,im sending everywhere,,,WOW

Old 03-18-2011, 03:31 AM
Default http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Detail?no=124

Here is a link on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6_FxK7zxtY