New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Anyone in the Outer Banks, NC area with H1, H2, or H3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Default Anyone in the Outer Banks, NC area with H1, H2, or H3?

Does anyone come to off-road in the Outer Banks, NC area? I would love to meet up and talk shop and develop our own offroad club (can be for H1, 2, and 3). I have owned an H1 and currently own an H2. I live off road and have seen my challenges and wondered if there are any other enthusiasts that either live here or come for vacation that would like to meet and swap stories, advice, etc.

-Rae

Old 11-17-2019, 09:04 AM

Have not been in several years but wife and I love to stay in Hatteras (the actual town). So peaceful and quiet compared to the more mainstream touristy areas further north. I've heard things have grown though since we have last gone up there about 6 years ago. Last we went there was not a single national chain store, restaurant, etc unless you went north up to at least Buxton for a very minimal couple of places and really all the way up to Avon for major chains like fast food places and whatnot.

We used to make it about every other year and stay for at least a week or so. Use to not have to buy a permit to drive off road but nowadays you have to buy a permit. Still worth it though. Can really pick and choose your own fishing spots and get pretty far off the beaten path as long as you have a capable 4wd. Always was amusing to see at least a few cars at various beach entry points who ignored the signs and end up buried up to their frame. Also fun to take the ferry over to Ocracoke and tool around on the very remote beaches along the northern end of the island. Want some bin conch shells... they are just laying around on the beach all over the place. Ones that gift shops in the big tourist areas sell for $20 to $50 or more each. Fishing in the ocean or channels with your vehicle only a few feet away is far more convenient than lugging all your gear from a parking lot a mile away.

Never really tried to find any actual local off-road trail areas that are specific for just the sake of challenging off road driving fun up there though. We never really looked at a map or anything, just sort of went off on our own and explored a lot and maybe hand out at a few of the local small shops and hit up some locals for good fishing spots. Its stunning and beautiful up there. Really want to get back up there but work has been getting the best of us the past several years with a couple of different businesses we have.