PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 H3 wreck survivor

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Default 2006 H3 wreck survivor

Being an off road enthusiast I had to pickup an H3 for grins. I have a 95 jeep and wanted a Jeep unlimited, but the prices were just stupid. The H3 is definitely interesting but I got 4 doors, room for the dogs and no doubt its every bit as good on dirt as a jeep- in some ways better. Now the jeep does take apart so they are very different vehicles. Jeeps are pretty basic and primarily off road. An H3 gives you far better on road advantages but is impressive off road.

Well, on an icy day before Xmas I jumped in the H3 and was driving too fast on ice. I hit the brakes and realized I wasn't going to slow down and would sail onto a busy road. had time to brace for impact and was hit in the driver door by a rav 4 doing at least 45 MPH. The rav 4 was totaled but fortunately had a great airbag setup so the driver was OK, but the Rav sailed 100 feet into a field and the front completely smashed, car inoperable. As for me, I was bounced into a ditch with the front sticking out at a 45 degree angle. I drove out, pulled around. The driver door was smashed. The insurance paid 5K (about what I paid for the car) but the H3 was valued at 10K, so not totaled. I called my bodyman and $3500 not only fixed it but also cover stuff like door handles etc that had issues. Needless to say, I am now a H3 fan.

Now, I like jeeps but my body man described to me what me and my jeep would have looked like had I chosen it that day. The jeep would have been folded like a taco and then probably flipped. I would have at least had a trip to the hospital but would probably be seriously injured and possibly dead. (I see dead as a better option than a veg). Not to mention what all the fiberglass would have done. You do take your chances in any vehicle but this had quite an impact (pun intended) on how I view off road vehicles. Selling the jeep, keeping the H3. I can still go over 14K foot passes and wild red rock canyons of Utah but when I hop on I70 I have a better chance of making it to the trails- Just sayin!

The H1 and H2 are cool, just a but too big for some of the trails I run so excuse my H3 bias. The H3 is still pretty big, but small enough. Being a car guy, there are a number of things that are odd, but overall its just plain cool. MIne is stock, but 2 "issues" have been addressed. First, the stereo but that is relatively minor. Item 2 was the battery. I went through all the current draws but the BCM just wont let the battery stay charged much more than a week. So, I went with an H7 size and I'm pretty sure it will hold a charge for a good month now.
Not only is an H3 safe, but the AC can keep up with 110 plus temps and its very warm below zero. Hey, I'm pushing 60 so no apologies for wanting comfort too!

Old 01-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you and the H3 are ok.