Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Meets, Events, and Shows (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/meets-events-shows-31/)
-   -   OFF-Road Event - Midwest - POSTPONED DUE TO WEATHER (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/meets-events-shows-31/off-road-event-midwest-postponed-due-weather-9251/)

HummerGuy 01-09-2008 01:04 PM

RE: OFF-Road Event - Midwest - Mid-End January

It may have been more on the way there. It was mentioned a few times, but maybe as a destination point as you are driving through some of these places. I don't remember specifically.

thehammerh3 01-09-2008 02:37 PM

Hummerguy
I live in downtown chicago and will try to go, what time are you allthinking about going?

HummerGuy 01-09-2008 02:47 PM

I'm not sure yet. I know you talked about doing the meet thing before and I was going to PM you anyway. This off-road park is quite a drive, about 2 to 3 hours from downtown. You would just take the Dan Ryan to I-80/94 towards IN and then we take a country highway the rest of the way. We literally drive right past one of the members here. I'm not sure if they want to do an entire weekend trip somewhere or just one day. We'll have to talk about it later.

Have you ever been off-roading, and if so, do you have a CB? If not, I'm going to install a new one I got in my truck and I can lend you my handheld. It's almost a must.

thehammerh3 01-09-2008 02:57 PM

I havent been off-roading anywhere worth bragging about, so if this is as fun as I hear it is it would be cool to go. If I can borrow your hand held for the day that would be good. If I have the time I will try and get one this week. As soon as you guys know more info about it please keep me posted so I can plan my schedule for next week.

thehammerh3 01-09-2008 02:58 PM

Woops just saw that it was for the 26-27th I can definately go those days.

HummerGuy 01-09-2008 03:11 PM

If you've done Chicago city driving your whole life like me, it won't be an issue going off-roading :D You just have to go really slow. These guys are really cool to hang out with. We are kinda like the 3 (ok four?) stooges. We could meet up somewhere downtown and caravan to pick Mike up (if he can go) and then all three of us drive down there together. The last time we talked about this we were going to do a weekend thing, but this place is literally in the middle of nowhere, but we spent an entire day there and probably only explored 40% of the park. If you don't mind the drive it's a really cool experience.

Don't buy a CB yet. You can just take the handheld I have and use it until we leave. My wife found me one for $2 at a garage sale that is like new so I'm going to hardwire it into my current/new truck. I may be driving a new one by the time we go, but we'll see how that goes.

Keep in mind though, your truck WILL get some minor scuffs due to branches and so forth rubbing on it. Most of the time it can be buffed or rubbed out, but make sure you don't mind it getting dirty. It canbe a chore getting the Mud off :D

shortbus 01-09-2008 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

If you've done Chicago city driving your whole life like me, it won't be an issue going off-roading :D

do you have to move little pebbles off the road in downtown Chicago too? :D:D:D

HummerGuy 01-09-2008 03:16 PM

One more thing; it wears you out for some reason. By the end of the day, we were all totally run down. I'll add you to the list of tentative people coming ;)

shortbus 01-09-2008 03:18 PM

take someone along to move the rocks for you maybe ? ? ? :D

HummerGuy 01-09-2008 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

If you've done Chicago city driving your whole life like me, it won't be an issue going off-roading :D

do you have to move little pebbles off the road in downtown Chicago too? :D:D:D
I REALLY wish I would have taken a picture of that rock. [:@] It was like a razor sticking up from the dirt saying "Please, run your half-worn factory 32" tires over my razor-sharp point while you are decending down a 50% grade." :eek: