Hummer H3T The popular H3 gets the added capabilties of a small pick-up, with the look and performance of the original H3.

Old Man EMU Kit from Aussie & Newbie update

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 07:27 PM
Default Old Man EMU Kit from Aussie & Newbie update

So I've had my old/new 2009 Alpha H3T since this July. 107,000 miles and one owner. This forum has been the BEST in educating myself on the H3T, what others have done, and with the only regret of not holding out to find an Alpha with the Adventure Package. Now, every time i see an interior photo of one, the first thing I look for is the extra two buttons on the console! Its driving my nuts. But, I'm well into my upgrades and since getting it (not in order) I've replaced the total cat system from header back, including a new Magnaflow exhaust system (made an investment in a OBD2 reader and got errors on the catalytic converters and sensors). Thanks to @Hummerz and @Bronxtech I had the front and rear differentials serviced (hadn't been done in years, according to mechanic). Replaced all the rotors, calipers, and brake pads with a performance kit from Power Stop (should have upgraded the lines to braided stainless steel, but totally didn't think of it till too late). Upgraded the Air Flow system to K&N Filter and the kit from Air Doc Intakes (which combined with the exhaust, really has the hummer sounding amazing). Cosmetically, I changed all the headlights, flashers, and foglights to LED, replaced the corroded gas tank cover, refurbished the front bumper chrome bar with bed liner spray from U POL Raptor, and actually found a Ziebart place to treat all the surface rust underneath and update the spray undercoating (makes the chrome of the new muffler and exhaust really shine against black vs. rust!) Also, replaced all the interior speakers with modern sound, a new Kenwood monitor/head unit, deadening in the doors, 500 watt amp under the drivers seat, and a 10" powered subwoofer under the rear seat (I still don't know where to reinstall the OEM tire jack and stand, but I'll figure that out later!).

This has kept me busy and happy while my suspension kit has been on backorder for MONTHS!! I must must have 35s installed, and though I've read everything I can about rubbing (or not rubbing) I didn't want to pull the trigger on bigger rims (I went with a set of five 18s from Black Rhino) or tires (I'm still deciding between BFGoodrich K02 ATs and Mickey Thompson ATs in a 35x12.5x18...and apparently the Hummer EV is using a new Goodyear Wrangler Territory AT tire, so that's got me intrigued too) until I found a way to get a 2 to 3 inches in space. I was definitely going to do the torsion key adjustment, but somewhere I got hooked on the Old Man EMU kit and it FINALLY arrived today (see photo). It comes with front and rear shocks, rear lift springs, and a set of torsion bars. Torsion BARS?? I was expecting new torsion keys, so the bar thing is throwing me off. Right now the plan is to have the kit installed, since it's all OEM equipment replacement and everything I've read is that it keeps the original balance of the H3T stable. I'll measure the center hub and fender after the install and see if I need to adjust the torsion keys to get to the famed 23.5" in the front wheel wells.

Hopefully I will NOT need any spacers or something stupid to make this rim (bought) and future tire setup work and look good. I go ga-ga every time I see a awesome photo of the forum members H3s with 35s on them. I probably should have gone with 17s instead of 18s but too late now. And I still haven't figured out where the heck this 5th wheel is going! I have a hard diamond pattern lockable cover on the bed so I was thinking about installing a rack on top of that...versus putting it on the roof with a roof rack. No way it fits where the current spare sits!

Any advice or suggestions from the Hummer H3/T experts on the OLD Man EMU setup? I'm having it all installed this Thursday. Should I look for any shock bracket extenders? When I did my brake upgrade, the inner tie rod on the passenger side front was a little wobbly. Mechanic said it didn't need changing now, but it will. Are there any performance tie rods I should search for...or just replace with OEM? I was also interested in a recommendation I read somewhere on the forum where you can send the computer to a place that will reprogram everything to adjust to upgrades in the intake and exhaust I've done to get a bit more ponies to the V8. I'll probably need that with the bigger 35s that will eventually go on to make up for the power drain.

Anyway, I'm having a ball with my H3T. I wouldn't trade it for anything right now...at least until somebody with a 2022 Hummer EV pulls up beside me and does that crab walk thingy! LOL!

Would love to get any advice. I'm a newbie. Be nice. A lot on this, but there's not a lot of new content on the forum for H3Ts so I figured I might as well put everything out there.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:01 PM

wow some really nice upgrades there. cant wait to see some pics when your finished.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Good stuff. You do not NEED any keys or shock extenders as the OME T Bars are just a bit beefier than stock. Your stock keys provide all the lift the front can handle. Great replacements for any Alpha.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Good stuff. You do not NEED any keys or shock extenders as the OME T Bars are just a bit beefier than stock. Your stock keys provide all the lift the front can handle. Great replacements for any Alpha.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Hope you don't mind my adding a pic to your thread, but I put the OME NitroChargers on my H3 Alpha and they are the sweet. Just a side by side of the Monroe that the prior owner had put on the truck for the obvious no comparison.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Hope you don't mind my adding a pic to your thread, but I put the OME NitroChargers on my H3 Alpha and they are the sweet. Just a side by side of the Monroe that the prior owner had put on the truck for the obvious no comparison.

Not at all! I'm gracious to your responding. It definitely builds my confidence that I chose the right setup. Had everything installed. Took 2 days as when they removed to old leaf springs, the brackets and bushings were jacked and had to be replaced. Drove it yesterday..rides great on road and over train tracks, curbs (couldn't help myself) and really feels more solid than before. It's drives "higher" and definitely visually looks raised. Crawling under there is more room so I'd argue more ground clearance too. These 32's OEM look tiny. I will be measuring the height to really see how much lift OLD MAN EMU gives and to see where they adjusted the torsion keys today. I told them 23.5". Still need to decide on the tire brand. Going with 35/12.5/18s. And need to upgrade the inner/outer tie rods. Not sure I need the $400 Outfitter Design setup that Tainter reviewed, but I don't want to do $50 OEM either. There's got to be something in the middle or I may just each peanut butter sandwiches a few more weeks and just get them.

I added more pics of the install. The torsion BAR is much beefier than OEM.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:37 AM

The OEM (ACDelco) 16MM inner and outer tie rods can bend OffRoad.
That is why I switched to the OD Big Azz tie rods (I like rocks and had 37" tires).

I have a buddy who has a set of the OD tie rods for sale. PM me your email address or PH# and I'll have him contact you.
Sorry, just called my buddy, he sold them.

Last edited by TAINTER; 11-09-2020 at 10:45 AM. Reason: SOLD
Old 11-11-2020, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
The OEM (ACDelco) 16MM inner and outer tie rods can bend OffRoad.
That is why I switched to the OD Big Azz tie rods (I like rocks and had 37" tires).

I have a buddy who has a set of the OD tie rods for sale. PM me your email address or PH# and I'll have him contact you.
Sorry, just called my buddy, he sold them.
Before I go buy a big jar of peanut butter....Does anyone have any experience with MOOG Suspension Parts? They have a set of inner/outer tie rods that they are calling 'performance' for about $120. The marketing and photos appear to communicate a higher quality than Delco OEM but who knows. Right now i'm thinking of at least replacing it with these MOOG parts and upgrade to the TAINTER recommendation next year.

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.co...ummer_h3t_2009

Old 11-12-2020, 09:18 AM

OEM ACDelco 16mm or the OD Big Azz tie rods. But that's me.
I always put on the best because I only want to do it once.

Same with the front hubs, brakes, brake lines, etc.
Spend the $ now on OEM ACDelco or a better proven aftermarket part then have to replace whatever in 20,000 miles because you didn't buy the OEM or better part that already lasted 65,000 plus miles previously.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Spend the $ now on OEM ACDelco or a better proven aftermarket part then have to replace whatever in 20,000 miles because you didn't buy the OEM or better part that already lasted 65,000 plus miles previously.
Makes sense. Need to find a local off road park to see where I am thus far. I heard a spot in Indy not to far from me called Halpin?

TAINTER...or anyone else with an opinion: Not that I plan on ever selling my H3T anytime soon, I'm assuming I should keep my OEM rims. Any rationale for keeping the rusted out spare rim? My new 35/12.5/18s (All Terrain) won't fit in the spare area. Keeping the 4 rims even makes sense if I get serious about off roading since I could put 35 or 37s Mud Terrains on the OEMs. However, the spare rim is heavily surface rusted and it won't stay under the truck bed. I guess I could refurbish it and just store it if there's a reason to keep it. I think I'm answering my own question...
​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Old Man EMU Kit from Aussie & Newbie update