Hummer H3T The popular H3 gets the added capabilties of a small pick-up, with the look and performance of the original H3.

Engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 11:59 PM
Default Engine questions

I'm wanting to buy a Hummer H3T in the near future if I can find one at a decent price. Currently I think for the price they are too expensive and can buy a ram power wagon instead for the same price if not less. Especially for a 2009 power wagon but i like the size of the hummers. I want to take it overlanding and was thinking of changing the engine. I was thinking of either a diesel engine out of a jeep, or volkswagen, or mercedes. Anyone knows how expensive it would be and how hard? I have mechanic friends and places I can sorce parts so it wouldn't be exactly retail cost. Or would it be better to buy a h3t with the I5 engine and modify it to get better fuel and little bit more power. Example an extra 20 to 40 more hp. Also whether I change the engine or buy a I5 engine I really want to have a 6 or 7 speed automatic transmission, which means if it doesn't come with the amount of gears I want to change the transmission. My question is how much would it cost to add a diesel engine and possibly a transmission or get one with a I5 engine amd modify it for more power amd better fuek economy and add a 6 speed transmission .

Old 12-30-2019, 10:42 AM

Just skip the H3T and buy something else.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:36 PM

the whole truck is computerized including every part your considering on swapping. how would they interface. unless your planning on gutting the truck for track use.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Just any old engine out of some dead foreign donor vehicle ain't gonna fit.

Power Wagons were made in mass quantity, and for the pick up truck type mass market. The H3T is a specialty vehicle and in only limited production.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Peymanza
I'm wanting to buy a Hummer H3T in the near future if I can find one at a decent price. Currently I think for the price they are too expensive and can buy a ram power wagon instead for the same price if not less. Especially for a 2009 power wagon but i like the size of the hummers. I want to take it overlanding and was thinking of changing the engine. I was thinking of either a diesel engine out of a jeep, or volkswagen, or mercedes. Anyone knows how expensive it would be and how hard? I have mechanic friends and places I can sorce parts so it wouldn't be exactly retail cost. Or would it be better to buy a h3t with the I5 engine and modify it to get better fuel and little bit more power. Example an extra 20 to 40 more hp. Also whether I change the engine or buy a I5 engine I really want to have a 6 or 7 speed automatic transmission, which means if it doesn't come with the amount of gears I want to change the transmission. My question is how much would it cost to add a diesel engine and possibly a transmission or get one with a I5 engine amd modify it for more power amd better fuek economy and add a 6 speed transmission .
Before you make a decision, research the side effects with the meds you're taking.