PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Default Diesel Upgrade

Has anyone here installed or had installed the 6.6 diesel engine and 6 spd tranny upgrades? I am getting closer by saving my pennies and trying to find info from real folks that have actually done this. It is pricey but it seems like a helluva an upgrade. Why Hummers (H2) did not come with diesel engines is a mystery to me. I have 102K on my H2 now with a raq torq computer, CAI, and 44 series mufflers. She is a sweet truck, but I am drawn to the diesel because of increased MPG and, of course, the power.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:52 PM

Off the bat, people will say it's not worth it.
To hell with them!

I think Predator is out your way. They seem to be the guys to go with, especially with all of the emissions standards you guys have to meet.

I want to do the same upgrade when my power train / engine finally dies.

Hopefully, someone can chime in.

How much power are you looking to put out btw?

Old 03-21-2015, 10:42 PM

I'm sending my H1 to H-Line Conversions, Inc jn Kansas, them seem to have a better handle on these conversions.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:37 AM

I have not spoken directly to Predator, but I have heard less than stellar things on forums and sites about them. But to be fair I am only regurgitating what I have heard and I am not claiming that the negative feedback is the truth. I have, however, spoken with Mash Motors in KS and intend on talking to H-Line as well. (unless they are one in the same?) Mash was 10K cheaper to start vice Predator. He did address the emission concerns and assured me that it would be written into the contract that the engine he produced would pass CA emissions and would include the engine, either new or used, that I decided to go with (this seems to be a BIG issue with the folks at "P"; paying for a new engine and getting a used engine) I have seen most of the entertaining "Johnny Magic" videos for H-Line too.
I still have a way to go with savings, if I use the quote Mash gave me as a base, probably another year I would guess and honestly might hold off until my engine is on her last legs.
I was thinking of having the engine built to produce 600 HP, however, I need to know what the trade off is.
I am not a hardcore off-roader, she is my daily driver and gets her off road fix from hunting trips to MT.
Anyway, it would be uber cool if someone would roger up here that has had this conversion done and give us the skinny on it.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:48 PM

If people are not exactly happy with Predator, don't bother!

There is a guy on here in KS who worked with Mash Motors. His experience sounded undesirable. Maybe he can pipe up; I know he still posts on here.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:20 PM
Default Diesel conversion

I have an H2 SUT that I had converted by H-Line conversions 3 years ago, it is well worth the money if for no other reason than the gas mileage, but the power difference is a blast. I recently had mine upgraded even further by having my Allison 6 speed bullet proofed for up to 1200 HP, also added a much larger turbo, injectors, injector pump, inter cooler, down pipe, and EFI live, Now I'm putting 750 RWHP and 1100 RWT. Nothing like blowing some turbo'd mustangs doors off and laughing while he is trying to figure out how he just got beat by a hummer

Old 08-03-2015, 08:18 PM

I am in the middle of a build with Predator on my H1 and have watched most of the work first hand. I've also seen numerous H1s and H2s completed and in progress. I've ridden in both the H2 and H1 with the modification. Incredible is an understatement. The guys are absolute craftsman. I'll be posting a lot of pictures and notes when it is finished. The H2 I was in was a hotrod that sounded like a jet….

Old 08-04-2015, 08:08 AM

With 104k on her now she is beginning to pull a couple thousand a year from me in maintenance and/or replacement costs making the conversion look alot more palatable.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:59 AM

Yea, my H1 was in good shape at right around 90k miles. But it was incredibly sluggish. After taking a test drive in both an H1 and H2, there was no question. Its an expensive upgrade but it definitely impacts the resale value on the vehicle...