Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

transmission issues after thermostat change.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 11:34 AM
Angry transmission issues after thermostat change.

So I was replacing my thermostat on a 2010 h3 3.7. in doing so i removed the alternator and fuse block. everything went normal, exept when i started it the check engine light came on and it keeps throwing the MIL light for the TCM. (stuck in 3rd gear) i looked at live data and it says the tcm is not getting voltage. i checked all fuses and all of them are getting power. so i tested the connector on the tcm itself. yellow wire has 12v the pink has 0. speedometer works, 4wd buttons work, and it doesnt have any other codes related to the transmission in limp mode. i feel like its just a wire not getting plugged in. my ultimate question is what harnesses and connectors should i be checking?

Old 04-27-2021, 12:14 PM

check the wire interface at the fuse block since that's where your issue started.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:45 PM

i have checked both the grey and white connector 5 or 6 times. every wire is pinned and getting connected. if anyone has a pin out that could save me from pulling entire harness out.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

If you bent a pin when snapping the harnesses into the bottom of the fuse block, or if dirt or the like got on a pin or the location for the pin, you need to go back and review carefully, like bronxteck said. That is where your problem is if as you say everything worked properly before you took apart the fuse box. I would be spraying everything with CRC Electronic cleaner after taking apart the fuse box with battery disconnected. Let is all dry good, then carefully reassemble.

If you would have checked here first, you would have known that the fuse box does not need to be touched to change an I5 T Stat. It's all done through the fender opening.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:55 PM

😂😂😂 no joke. I found that out as soon as I removed the old thermo stat. I looked over at the liner and kicked myself.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:44 PM

That's no joke. I'm so upset I didn't look around a little more. as I was removing the t stat I looked over at the fender liner and kicked myself. oh well. last question before I tear the fuse box out again. the connector on top of the fuse box, and the black and grey connectors on the bottom of the fuse box, which one is going to the TCM? id like to narrow down which plug I'm having a problem with.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:52 PM
Old 04-27-2021, 11:16 PM

update. so i removed the fuse box. and checked every pin and connector. i am 100 percent positive that it is in correctly. i put my scanner on it and it is reading the info off of the tcm. still saying mil status on tcm and one code p2534. only info it tells me is ignition switch run start position circuit low. im not sure what that code means.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:58 AM

p0700 & p2534 The TCM detects an open or short to ground on the Ignition 1 voltage circuit.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
p0700 & p2534 The TCM detects an open or short to ground on the Ignition 1 voltage circuit.
forgive my ignorance. How would I go about fixing that? Does that mean ignition switch?

Quick Reply: transmission issues after thermostat change.