Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 09:20 PM
Default Transmission Issues

What's the best way to troubleshoot the transmission? For the past month or so I've noticed a shudder in the engine. Sometimes when you have the car on cruise the RPMs will jump up a few 1000s RPMs before going back now. I floored it one day to pass someone up and instead of going faster the RPMs just jumped into the red. This is my moms car and yesterday she was driving it when it just conked out (her words). When I got to the car it started right up but wouldn't move in forward or reverse so I towed it home using my H2. Since it was late I decided to do some more checking on it in the morning. The fluid was a little low and brownish so I added some. I put the car in drive and went to the end of the block. When I tried to put it in reverse to turn around it wouldn't move. I tried the other gears and nothing so I towed it back home. It seems ok if it's cold but if it runs for a few minutes it's not ok. I have a code scanner and the only thing it found was a misfire in #2. This is just a basic scanner and maybe a better one is needed but I'm not sure what one to get. As you can tell I'm not an expert in these things at all. I want to take it somewhere to get it fixed but first I'd like to known what the problem is. I could take it to a trans shop and they could say the bands are bad or the torque convertor is shot but how would I know. They could charge me a few thousand just to replace a fuse or a sensor. What does everyone suggest I do? Should I get a better scanner and if so what one? The car is a 2007 H3. Thanks!

Old 05-06-2020, 09:51 PM

Reputable shops will correct the problem at low cost. Most shops are upselling!

Old 05-06-2020, 10:46 PM

If by low cost you mean $2k-$3k then I believe you'd be right. If you've never done business with them how would you know they are reputable and honest about the problems. Reading reviews won't help as they could easily be from employees or people who don't give a crap.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Letting us know miles on the truck and when the last time the Trans Fluid and Filter were changed would be helpful.

Surprises me how many people do not know the symptoms of an Auto Trans that is toast. Miles on it and condition of Trans Fluid tell you all you need to know. Brown is BAD! If the fluid and filter were never changed, happens at much lower miles than if it was properly maintained.

Ask family, friends that drive older out of warranty vehicles for a referral to a reputable shop.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sean Gamble
If by low cost you mean $2k-$3k then I believe you'd be right. If you've never done business with them how would you know they are reputable and honest about the problems. Reading reviews won't help as they could easily be from employees or people who don't give a crap.
Drop the transmission pan, check filter and amount of material in the pan. If excessive, rebuild time. If not, flush & replace filter.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:18 PM

Yes, Sean what you are being told is the truth. Your moms tranny is slipping. From either age, mileage, lack of proper maintenence, or some combo of mentioned.
The cure is last minute service by changing fluid and filter and hope for the best or rebuild or replace with either a rebuilt or new trans...