Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

TPMS Hell!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 06:08 PM
Question TPMS Hell!

I recently became the proud owner of an '06 H3.
Only 123,000 miles and in very good condition inside and out.
When I purchased it the TPMS warning light was on the DIC.
My Jeep Liberty has TPMS so I am acquainted with how much of a pain in the butt they are!
I checked the air pressure in all four tires and they were all inflated to the proper amount.
Next I took it to my trusted local tire shop and had them check it. They said two sensors needed changing so $75 later that was done.
Then then tried to reset the TPMS warning, using three different handheld computers and couldn't get it reset.
I was told this was a first for them and they didn't have a solution.
I had to go to my local GM dealership to get the recall items ordered for it and had them try to reset the stupid TPMS warning light.
After about a 1/2 hour and two technicians later I was told it was a computer issue and the whole system needed to be examined.
I read the owner's manual and nobody tried the method described in it.
My question is should I try the owner's manual method before I pay who knows how many GM shop rate hours for them to work on it?
Does anybody have any other ideas on what may be wrong?
I HATE the whole TPMS systems. I'm perfectly capable in maintaining my tire's air pressures. I wish I could just delete the stupid thing.
Sorry for such a long post, but I'm really scratching my head on this one.
Thanks so much in advance!

Old 09-09-2018, 07:52 AM

Can you give more detail? Are you getting service tpm or low tire warning?

Old 09-09-2018, 07:54 AM

P.S. Don't ever take your hummer to the gm dealer for anything unless you enjoy being ripped off and/or lied to

Old 09-09-2018, 09:05 AM

The TPMS warning light below the odometer flashes and the little "wheel" stays on at the top of the display.
Even if I temporarily turn off the TPMS light indicator by pushing in the reset button, the "wheel" indicator stays on.
I had to go to the GM dealership to address the open recalls to get the parts ordered, so I had them give it a try for free..........

Old 09-09-2018, 09:11 AM

It's saying low tire pressure

Old 09-09-2018, 12:02 PM

With a good quality scan tool you can check to see which sensors are giving the low reading and you change the tire rating in the TPMS module. I would take it to an independent repair shop and ask them to quick check fault codes to see which sensor(s) are triggering the light and what tire rating is set. If i remember correctly there is a P, B, C, D and an E. If it's set to a C, which is 50psi and you have P tires set to 36psi it will also trigger the light. Sometimes a sensor will give a intermittent false pressure reading.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:47 PM

I had an issue that the parking brake indicator light not coming on while trying to reset the TPMS. A connector by the emergency brake pedal got knocked loose and the parking brake light was not coming on. The TPMS would not reset in this condition. Walmart tried to reset the TPMS for a hour and gave up, took it to the dealer and the found the issue in a couple of minutes.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:04 PM

two sensors showed needing replaced and were.

Will the emergency parking brake indicator light come on if I set the brake if the connector by pedal is loose/off?

Old 09-09-2018, 06:45 PM

Like mentioned previously if someone changes your ply rating in the bcm with the scan tool it won’t reset properly. In the menu it will show that you can change it to c, d and e ply but for some weird reason the h3 bcm program only likes c Change it to c with 32 psi and then try resetting using normal procedure. I found this by trial and error and gm couldn’t explain why but was able to confirm my findings.

I have a tech2 and played with it until I got tired and set it back to c.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

You bought a 12 year old vehicle. The TPMS are designed with a spec battery life of 10 years, should be no surprise you need to replace all the sensors.

From your opening post: "I checked the air pressure in all four tires and they were all inflated to the proper amount."

If you did not set the 4 on the ground (with sensors) to 38PSI Cold, you will have issues. Feel free to review the bazillion posts on this.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: TPMS Hell!