Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/)
-   -   TPM Probs, NOT sensors. (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/tpm-probs-not-sensors-36584/)

ChristianAnarchist 03-06-2016 05:14 PM

TPM Probs, NOT sensors.

I have an intermittent CHECK TPM notification on my 2007 H3 with 78k miles. I've replaced all 5 sensors with no improvement. It might go 2 days and then it comes on and sometimes goes out while I'm driving. I've tried to find info on exactly how this system works but have failed. I have found that the chincier systems use the antenna for the keyless remote and some have an antenna at each wheel. Since I can't find anything at each wheel I'm assuming the H3 uses the keyless. Anyone here know how this system works?

WR3NCHE4D 03-06-2016 07:19 PM

If you could get the code from the system it will give you somewhere to go. There should be a code or codes somewhere stored in the tpms module. I assume the system uses the tpms module to get the information wirelessly from the sensors and uses it's own antenna built into the module.

ChristianAnarchist 03-06-2016 09:38 PM

I have found out that "Low tire" and "Check TPM" relate to obvious different problems but I cannot find any code regarding TPM when I check them. I do have a code for secondary air pump that has been a problem since I bought it 3 years ago and a non descriptive missfire code that has only been showing up intermittantly the last month. I'm going to see if the missfire is due to water collecting on the #1 plug as discussed elsewhere here. The air pump is because the fan motor is siezed as also I hear is common.

650Hawk 03-07-2016 09:12 AM

You can try re-programming the TPMS (instructions are in your manual). Each tire has a transmitter built into the valve stem (inside the tire) that communicates with the system. From what I have been told, the system is very sensitive, and ALL 4 tires must be within just a few psi of each other. Also, it seems that the PSI must be high (45 psi?). I know that when it's cold out, I sometimes get a low tire message until I drive about 20 minutes to warm the tires up.

You might be able to have a good tire shop able to tell you which tire/sensor is causing the issue; the batteries only last about 7-8 years, and maybe one of the new ones you bought had a bad battery in it?

Doc Olds 03-07-2016 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist (Post 334634)
I have an intermittent CHECK TPM notification on my 2007 H3 with 78k miles. I've replaced all 5 sensors with no improvement. It might go 2 days and then it comes on and sometimes goes out while I'm driving. I've tried to find info on exactly how this system works but have failed. I have found that the chincier systems use the antenna for the keyless remote and some have an antenna at each wheel. Since I can't find anything at each wheel I'm assuming the H3 uses the keyless. Anyone here know how this system works?

The system only monitors 4 at a time. They only transmit when rotating, they turn off when no movement is detected after a couple minutes.

You never mentioned what PSI you have the tires set to. Back in the day, when these trucks were being sold, there was no shortage about complaints with the TPMS, 99% made by people who never physically checked the PSI in their tires. The standard response to the complaints was a simple, make sure the four tires on the ground all have exactly 38 PSI Cold, anything less or any variance cause problems.

TAINTER 03-07-2016 12:25 PM

Waht Doc said AND, if you have 5 TPMS then you will have to make sure the 4 on the ground are programmed to the truck. If the spare has a TPMS, it should not be programmed to the truck until it is on the ground.

ChristianAnarchist 03-07-2016 09:41 PM

It seems like everyone here has had about the same luck I have in finding out exactly HOW this system works. No wiring diagram. No specification regarding antenna placement.

Tire pressures have been checked both by me and by the tire store that put in the new sensors. They also verified that all sensors have proper signal. The fact that the problem is intermittent shows that there cannot be a completely failed component. Of course they also did not know specifics as to how this system works. I think they are keeping all this info very tight to the chest...

happythree 03-07-2016 10:37 PM

the bcm gets the signals,,,but how?.
i searched my paper svc manuals,3 of them,8 inches thick!,cant find where the pickup is.
if its the digital ant it could be unhooked to see /verify it.
it must be a single pickup ant or the learn mess would not be so ,,,messy!

WR3NCHE4D 03-07-2016 10:50 PM

The system is sensitive. The codes you are getting on your scanner are for the Engine Management Module or PCM. You need the codes from the TPMS module. Most generic code readers only get into the PCM which is for the engine. Depending on the vehicle it may allow you to see transmission codes. A few code readers will also access the Airbag and/or ABS system as well. There are about 13, or more, computer modules in your Hummer. A generic code reader can only get to one. Like I said in my previous post, you need to get the codes from the TPMS module to get an idea of what is wrong. There should be a bunch of low tire codes and a few sensor codes. You might have to clear the codes and drive it to see what codes come back. It could be as simple as unplugging the module and plugging it back in. Bad connection at the plug. It could also be more serious like a failing TPMS module.

happythree 03-07-2016 11:10 PM

tpms module??. where did you come up with that?
i see no mention of it anywhere i look. the bcm gets the signals, from ?? it looks like they come thru the digital radio.
i thought it was the digital radio ant. if it is,i killed my onstar yrs ago and i thought i unhooked the digital ant, but my tpms is working!
im still looking thru schematic wiring but its messy.

can anyone verify that the digital radio is onstar and satellite radio.?.
i dont use either but i get sat signal advertizing

Doc Olds 03-08-2016 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist (Post 334675)
It seems like everyone here has had about the same luck I have in finding out exactly HOW this system works. No wiring diagram. No specification regarding antenna placement.

Tire pressures have been checked both by me and by the tire store that put in the new sensors. They also verified that all sensors have proper signal. The fact that the problem is intermittent shows that there cannot be a completely failed component. Of course they also did not know specifics as to how this system works. I think they are keeping all this info very tight to the chest...

Still, no tire PSI??? I can assure you if you are running 35 or 36 PSI, you will get what you got.

So when everybody checked the tire pressure COLD, what is it?

WR3NCHE4D 03-08-2016 07:55 PM

So I connected my scan tool to the OBD port on my 2006 H3 and started checking things out. First off my scan tool calls it a TPM. What the General calls it I am not sure. Wireless Interface Module? There are only four sensors currently programmed into it. I could actually read the TPMS number codes and where they are located on the vehicle. Rotate the tires and put one where the spare was and it still thinks it would be on the vehicle. There is a tire location learn and program section. So the spare may or may not be relevant to a light coming on depending on which sensors are currently programmed. From the scan tool, you can change the settings depending on your tire load rating P-metric up to E rated tires. I had no history codes or no current codes. There is also a way to turn off the module so that it doesn't communicate a problem to the BCM or whatever else it is connected to. With all this comes my conclusion and you can argue it if you want. The module works on its own. It only controls the tire pressure monitor and nothing else. The radio and satellite are not part of the TPM. Without a wiring diagram, the TPM probably only communicates with the BCM and/or the instrument cluster. There should only be about a half a dozen wires going to the TPM. Also I am assuming that the TPM module is physically attached to another module in the system. If you try to order the TPM it may not exist because it is called the ??? module. I am also assuming that the antennae is integrated into the module much like a smart phone. If I find more conclusive information it will be posted.

rsc 03-08-2016 10:16 PM

I had to pull the carpet last fall, found a module under the arm rest and trans tunnel plastic. I wonder if that might be it? It didn't have a name or info on it besides manufacturers data.

happythree 03-08-2016 10:50 PM

i have the printed svc manuals,3 books 8 inches thick! there is no mention anywhere in them or the index of a tpms module,,,none!!!
the bcm gets the data from the digital receiver on the data bus. complex stuff in theses new cars.

rsc, i think that module is the yaw monitor. will try to confirm

its the air bag rollover sensor. yaw is under driver seat.
still no word on tpms in the component locator chapter in the downloaded svc man.

650Hawk 03-08-2016 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by WR3NCHE4D (Post 334713)
Rotate the tires and put one where the spare was and it still thinks it would be on the vehicle.

Exactly. And the problem at that point is that each tire sensor only transmits when the tire is spinning; once stationary, it stops transmitting. So if you put one in the spare position without relearning the system, it would think that one tire sensor (now in the spare position and therefore no longer transmitting) is still on the ground but malfunctioning, triggering the system to report a TPMS error rather than a low tire warning.

You still have not verified whether or not you have gone through the relearn process with the four tires on the ground, nor exactly what psi your tires are set at.

TAINTER 03-09-2016 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by rsc (Post 334714)
I had to pull the carpet last fall, found a module under the arm rest and trans tunnel plastic. I wonder if that might be it? It didn't have a name or info on it besides manufacturers data.

That is the air bag black box yaw sensor for rollovers. Sets off the SIRs.

Doc Olds 03-09-2016 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)

So I connected my scan tool to the OBD port on my 2006 H3 and started checking things out. First off my scan tool calls it a TPM. What the General calls it I am not sure. Wireless Interface Module? There are only four sensors currently programmed into it. I could actually read the TPMS number codes and where they are located on the vehicle. Rotate the tires and put one where the spare was and it still thinks it would be on the vehicle. There is a tire location learn and program section. So the spare may or may not be relevant to a light coming on depending on which sensors are currently programmed. From the scan tool, you can change the settings depending on your tire load rating P-metric up to E rated tires. I had no history codes or no current codes. There is also a way to turn off the module so that it doesn't communicate a problem to the BCM or whatever else it is connected to. With all this comes my conclusion and you can argue it if you want. The module works on its own. It only controls the tire pressure monitor and nothing else. The radio and satellite are not part of the TPM. Without a wiring diagram, the TPM probably only communicates with the BCM and/or the instrument cluster. There should only be about a half a dozen wires going to the TPM. Also I am assuming that the TPM module is physically attached to another module in the system. If you try to order the TPM it may not exist because it is called the ??? module. I am also assuming that the antennae is integrated into the module much like a smart phone. If I find more conclusive information it will be posted.

Interesting
Attachment 11178

rsc 03-09-2016 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER (Post 334719)
That is the air bag black box yaw sensor for rollovers. Sets off the SIRs.

Thanks! I'm glad I left it alone and didn't toss it in favor of saving weight or something. :eek:

650Hawk 03-09-2016 09:20 AM

I could actually read the TPMS number codes and where they are located on the vehicle.

Actually you could read only where the system "thinks" each sensor is located based on the last time it was "learned".

From the scan tool, you can change the settings depending on your tire load rating P-metric up to E rated tires.

Now that is interesting!

There is also a way to turn off the module so that it doesn't communicate a problem to the BCM or whatever else it is connected to.

So is that.

The module works on its own. It only controls the tire pressure monitor and nothing else. The radio and satellite are not part of the TPM. Without a wiring diagram, the TPM probably only communicates with the BCM and/or the instrument cluster. There should only be about a half a dozen wires going to the TPM. Also I am assuming that the TPM module is physically attached to another module in the system. If you try to order the TPM it may not exist because it is called the ??? module. I am also assuming that the antennae is integrated into the module much like a smart phone. If I find more conclusive information it will be posted.

My guess, since there is nowhere in the wiring diagram that the TPMS shows up, is that it is actually part of/built in to the BCM. :cool: My wife's '06 Tahoe has the TPMS system that reports the actual tire pressures; you can scroll through each tire one at a time and see the psi for each on the DIC. The "relearn" process is exactly the same on it as it is on my H3.

Just out of curiosity, what scan tool (brand/model) are you using?

rsc 03-09-2016 10:04 AM

So I connected my scan tool to the OBD port on my 2006 H3 and started checking things out...

Just curious, what is the scan tool you are using?

lol, 650 Hawk beat me to it! I'm interested in the idea of disabling the warning lights on the Dash/DIC. On one vehicle I have old batteries (showed up about 3 months after the new tires went on and the vehicle was 6 1/2 yrs old), I have another that I need to do a relearn on to rule out any other problems but the Service TPM comes on when it's hot or after driving for 20-30 minutes but never when the tires or weather is cold and one will soon be getting a set of tires just for the trail without TPM sensors. Sometimes I really hate technology.

Songman 03-09-2016 05:46 PM

I've had the TPM warning for a while. No amount of programming sensors would make it go away. All sensors report good. Had to replace the BCM recently when I lost all my taillights, and hoped that would also fix the TPM warning. No such luck. Had the TPM sensors programmed again, and this time my TPM warning went away... for about half a mile. Then it started flashing LOW TIRE. Went back and checked all tires. Normally they were set at 36. Have all at 40 now. Still have the LOW TIRE message every time I start the truck. I'd be interested in just being able to turn it off. I don't need to truck to tell me to check my tires.

WR3NCHE4D 03-20-2016 08:36 PM

I use a Snap-On Solus Pro. It's not mine, but I have unlimited access to it. Certain laws restrict turning off the TPM light permanently, depending on state and country and the year of the vehicle. That doesn't mean if you talk nicely to your mechanic he could turn it off.

ChristianAnarchist 03-21-2016 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by happythree (Post 334681)
tpms module??. where did you come up with that?
i see no mention of it anywhere i look. the bcm gets the signals, from ?? it looks like they come thru the digital radio.
i thought it was the digital radio ant. if it is,i killed my onstar yrs ago and i thought i unhooked the digital ant, but my tpms is working!
im still looking thru schematic wiring but its messy.

can anyone verify that the digital radio is onstar and satellite radio.?.
i dont use either but i get sat signal advertizing

I hadn't thought about the sat radio. I replaced my factory radio 2 years back and completely unplugged the onstar box at that point. Still, the tire people were supposedly able to "reprogram" the tire sensors and the CHECK TPMS warning is still only intermittent. You would think if changing the onstar state had something to do with the tire sensor signals that the warning would be on 100%...

happythree 03-21-2016 05:17 PM

that the warning would be on 100%...
or off?

i did nothing new since last post, waiting for a smart "rookie" to come up with the answer!!
is there a pickup device on the top of the dash? for what?

ChristianAnarchist 12-26-2016 08:05 PM

Update to my "Check TMP" messages: It's been about 3 years now that I've had my H3 and the dreaded message started showing up about 2 years ago sporadically. Of course I tried the obvious and replaced all the tire sensors with new and it made zero difference. I still get this Check TMP at least once a day (again, it DOES NOT always indicate this error). I've tried to find the "electronic path" from the sensors to my light but no one seems to know something as simple as where the receiver is to the signals coming from the tire sensors. In order to trouble shoot this issue (and it seems a lot of people are having this problem) it would be nice to know where the signal is picked up and what black box processes this info... Seems someone must know the answer!

ChristianAnarchist 07-02-2017 11:56 PM

Update

After 4 years I still have not found info on this problem. I still get INTERMITTENT error indication of "Check TPM". To review, I've had this issue since at least 2015 and it's still acting exactly like it did in 2015. All tire pressure sensors have been replaced a year or so back and (of course) reprogrammed. This is not a sensor problem. The tires are never showing as being low or flat. The error does not show (usually) right after engine start. The error does not seem to show any pattern of when it will pop up. At random times it will pop up and at random times it will go out. As a guess I'd say this error is showing about 20% of the time. For a while it did not show for over a week but then popped up randomly one day. There is no pattern that I can detect.

My question has been and still is --- How does this system work?? I've not found any information as to the route the information flows to the BCM. The sensors are wireless, of course but there is no information as to how the signal gets to the BCM. In general tire pressure modules have to send the signal to an antenna and some systems have four antennas at each wheel (I can not find any) but some also use the keyless entry to piggy-back the information. Another route is through the radio antenna. There is really no way for me to troubleshoot this problem without knowing these basics...

Whatever the problem, it is not getting better or worse with age.

PS. Currently this vehicle is apart getting an LS3 480HP conversion. I'll start a new thread with pictures when complete...

Happy Hummer 07-03-2017 09:21 PM

Have you replaced the tpms sensors themselves?

ChristianAnarchist 07-04-2017 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Hummer (Post 345677)
Have you replaced the tpms sensors themselves?

Yes...

Again, what I need is an in-depth description of how the system works. Where is the antenna? What module (if not the BCM) communicates with the sensors?

Happy Hummer 07-05-2017 03:34 PM

There is allot of reading on the web as I am doing it right now and it is mind boggling lol!

There is
Direct vs Indirect
Relearn vs Sensor Programming

There may be an antenna or no antenna
Some are software based and some are hardware

A whole lot more to boot.
The guy to ask is F5Stop (might have the handle wrong)
He knows a thing or two. haha

ChristianAnarchist 11-10-2017 01:44 PM

An update for any who are having the same problem, I've converted my H3 into an LS3 monster and I'm still having intermittant "Service TPM" errors.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...monster-38707/

So now my H3 has all new and non-stock engine and computer controller. The stereo was changed years ago so that is also non-stock. Since my error is not a continuous issue I still have to think it's related to communication with the sensors but alas, no one seems to know how the communication takes place. Since the BCM is still stock I'm certain that all the problem is related to how the BCM communicates with the tire sensors...

talusfan 11-12-2017 09:57 AM

There is always the possibility of getting a bad sensor. I had a bum new one when I swapped wheels.

TerryinMaui 02-04-2018 10:56 PM

TPMS issue on H3

I recently became the proud owner of a 2008 H3. The TPMS warning light on the dash would not stay off after resetting the system. Costco even tried to reset the warning light to no success. I was about to give up on trying to get rid of the warning an just live with it. All he batteries in the transmitters were good and yet the warning kept coming back on after driving it a short distance. While looking at the battery terminals, I noticed some corrosion, so I took off the two wires, cleaned them and put them back on. When I turned the key on I noticed all the lights on my the control knobs were blinking. This lasted for about 30 seconds. They finally returned to normal. The navigation system appeared to reset to factory settings. I entered all the current settings and noticed the TPMS warning light was gone. I have been driving it for a week and the warning light is still off. So those of you still having issues with the TPMS, try removing the battery terminals and put them back on after waiting a few minutes.

TerryinMaui 02-05-2018 01:03 AM

I disconnected my battery and after re-installing it the TPMS warning light went off and did not come back on.

TAINTER 02-05-2018 07:40 AM

I have always had to drive about 10 miles before our rigs turn the TPM light off.

ChristianAnarchist 02-05-2018 01:38 PM

As an update, my TPM problem has not changed. For 4 years now the "Check TPM" has come on intermittently. Goes away intermittently. Works for days without showing up. In those 4 years I've changed battery, all tire sensors, reprogrammed the sensors and converted from the I5 engine to 6.2 LS3. Nothing has changed the status. It still behaves exactly as it did 4 years ago. Also I've yet to have found any source that explains exactly HOW this system works (where is the antenna, where is the control module, what is the flow of logic from the tires to the BCM). I'm beginning to think that no one understands this system except for GM.

AverageWeekend 02-05-2018 03:29 PM

Mine is fine except during cold weather. When it drops below 30 degrees, I just plan on the TPMS going intermittent. And know it will return to normal once the weather warms back up.

Chimpy 02-05-2018 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by AverageWeekend (Post 349893)
Mine is fine except during cold weather. When it drops below 30 degrees, I just plan on the TPMS going intermittent. And know it will return to normal once the weather warms back up.

This is/was my first winter with my 2006 H3. I have also noticed little glitches when the temps get really low. As of late my "serv TPM" message has been on and then yesterday the actual "low tire" message and light came on. My LF ABS sensor has been setting off the ABS and Stability messages; this also did not start until the first real blast of arctic weather with below zero temps hit here a month or so ago. Maybe not related but the Vent Valve Solenoid has the engine light on as well. It started with the "fuel cap" warning and a p-code that signified a small evap leak. That mysteriously went away then the engine light came on and has stayed on with the Vent Valve Solenoid code.:confused:

bosscar 05-03-2018 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist (Post 349892)
As an update, my TPM problem has not changed. For 4 years now the "Check TPM" has come on intermittently. Goes away intermittently. Works for days without showing up. In those 4 years I've changed battery, all tire sensors, reprogrammed the sensors and converted from the I5 engine to 6.2 LS3. Nothing has changed the status. It still behaves exactly as it did 4 years ago. Also I've yet to have found any source that explains exactly HOW this system works (where is the antenna, where is the control module, what is the flow of logic from the tires to the BCM). I'm beginning to think that no one understands this system except for GM.

I'm in the same boat as you, since I bought this vehicle in 2015 it's been the thorn in my side. I get so frustrated dealing with the GM dealer about it too. My warning light will NOT start flashing when entering the TPMS "learn mode", it just stays on steady. The manual says it is suppose to start flashing and "remain flashing" throughout the learning phase. But, since I put in aftermarket sensors back in 2015 when I put on new tires, the dealer keeps wanting my to buy $400 worth of new factory sensors, before they proceed. What does functioning, or non-functioning, or non-existent sensors have to do with the fact that the light on the DIC will not flash when in the learn mode? I guess the dealer is located in the logic free zone.

I don't think GM knows how it works either.....how's that.

IT HAS TO START FLASHING TO BE ABLE TO LEARN THEM AT ALL. Why can't the GM dealer get past that part of this puzzle?

Everyone here has probably had to do this at some point, does everyone here see the light on the dash start to flash when doing the learn sequence? Please let me know what might be the problem. Thanks.

ChristianAnarchist 05-04-2018 08:22 AM

It is frustrating and I've come to the conclusion that we will never find out how this system works. After 5 or 6 years my "CHECK TPM" error has not changed in any way. It's still intermittent, it still has nothing to do with the TPS since they have been changed to brand new ones 2 years ago. Had the exact same behavior with the old sensors as the new ones. We don't even know the route of communication between the TPS and the TPM but it seems likely to be piggybacked on the security system. There's not even any information on WHERE the TPM is but it's likely to be nothing more than a subroutine running in the BCM... When I get the "CHECK TPM" message I just hit the button to clear the message and drive on...

650Hawk 05-04-2018 05:01 PM

I have reprogrammed mine once after fixing a flat tire, and the process went as it was supposed to.

As long as my tire pressure is set to exactly 38psi (all 4), my TPMS works, except when it's cold out. On cold mornings, I get the "Low Tire" message for about 10-15 miles of driving till the tires warm up.