PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H1 Owners....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:35 AM
Default H1 Owners....

I currently have an H3 and love it, but I am looking at H1's. I love the 04-06's but they are simply out of my price range. I am looking at 01's and earlier. Do you have any suggestions on which year may be better; like suspension, trac control, motor, hp, options, etc.? Also, which years, if any, to stay away from because of problems?

Personal experience and stories are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

www.lynchhummer.com

They have a great year by year breakdown on the website. Are you a wheeler or will this be a street truck? Main thing is pay for what you get. It is easier to buy a truck that has been well maintained thatn get one that needs a lot of maintenace. Are you pretty self sufficient working on your truck? Is there a good H1 mechanic close by? Tell us a little more about how you plan to use the truck.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:17 AM

3hummers... thanks for the web site! I would mainly use the H1 for off road purposes. The only road use would be to get to the next trail....where ever that may be! Due to the use of the vehicle it would need to be in pretty good shape, maintenance wise. I do not want to break down on the trail right after I bought the thing. There is a hummer dealer close to where I am so I hope the mechanic is pretty good. Also, I am a decent mechanic myself so the small jobs I think I can handle. I am just looking for a good truck for a good price.

Thanks again

Old 07-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Not every Hummer dealer has techs competent to work on an H1. 97-98 are popular years with the wheelers. No TT4 so BTMing is easier. 97.5 and 98 have the upgraded HVAC. Ask who has been doing the work on the truck. If it is a dealer have them run the vehicle history for you so you can see what has been done. If you are pretty mechanically inclined the trucks aren't that difficult to work on.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:38 PM

I am selling my 2001 Hummer H1. Check out he craigslist posting:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1283848824.html

Thank you!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck but I think the price is a little strong.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Default Maintenance Cost for H1's

Hi Guys.

I have a H2 and looking to potentially buy a H1 at some point. I was at the Hummer dealer earlier this week getting some minor warrenty work done on mine and asked the service manager about problem areas or certain weaknesses on H1's to look out for.

He told me the maintenance cost was very high on these (~$3,500 per year) due to the geared hubs and frequent fluid changes needed. Tire cost was also mentioned.

As a mechanical engineer by background and someone who works on my own cars, I am very surprised to hear his comments. I would dismiss it except this dealer works on H1's on a regular basis.

Is this right? What is the core maintenance items and why so expensive? I would like to have one of these at some point and can not see why it would be so heavy on maintenace. Any thoughts?

thanks.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:16 PM

[quote=mx-4-2;215425]Hi Guys.

He told me the maintenance cost was very high on these (~$3,500 per year) due to the geared hubs and frequent fluid changes needed. Tire cost was also mentioned.

That has not been my experience at all?!?!, my truck is very low maintenance I just check the fluids, do minor tweeking from time to time, and make sure the oil changes are kept up. My guess would be he is giving you the speach that he was told to say! If you had your carpets in your home cleaned as often as the manufacturer said you should you could pay that much in carpet cleaning as well, my point is they tell you what they want you to do and hope you do it bacause they want your money.

Brent

P.S. if your looking to keep costs down I would not recomend a Corvette. I love mine but the "corvette tax" you pay everytime you have to do anything on it is crazy!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:14 PM

[quote=ctdrl-1;215452]
Originally Posted by mx-4-2
Hi Guys.

That has not been my experience at all?!?!, my truck is very low maintenance I just check the fluids, do minor tweeking from time to time, and make sure the oil changes are kept up. My guess would be he is giving you the speach that he was told to say! If you had your carpets in your home cleaned as often as the manufacturer said you should you could pay that much in carpet cleaning as well, my point is they tell you what they want you to do and hope you do it bacause they want your money.

Brent

P.S. if your looking to keep costs down I would not recomend a Corvette. I love mine but the "corvette tax" you pay everytime you have to do anything on it is crazy!

Thanks Brent. This sounded odd, especially when considering the military requirements designed into it. I like unique vehicals and do realize there is a higher cost to maintain and repair. I just wanted to make sure these are not an all out money pit.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

If you wheel the truck much you will go through idler, pitman arms, tie rods and half shafts more often...and possibly steering gear boxes. The major service runs about $1200.00 ( every 12,000 miles ) but it is mainly changing fluids, filters and checking bolts and can be done by most people. The most common repairs, listed above, also are not difficult to do. $3500/year for a well used truck is probably about right on average. I don't consider that all that expensive because I spent similiar amounts on my other offroad vehicles.

Last edited by 3hummers; 01-18-2010 at 10:56 PM.

Quick Reply: H1 Owners....