Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Default RE: TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT

ORIGINAL: shortbus

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Could someone PLEASE take of picture of exactly where you make this adjustment and is it CCW or CW to adjust..From what I can tell looking at mine, there is a locking device/cap place over the end to prevent movement or unauthorized adjustment...But I'm unsure if I'm looking at the correct thingy.

Thanks!

i put a picture up of the H2 adjustment spot earlier in this thread. just follow your torsion bar back to the center of the vehicle, the adjustment is in the cross member. CW tightens it (lift), CCW drops you back down.
Sorry, I did..But it is still is a little vague or I'm just dense..My underneath looks different than yours..So to speak..But I appreciate what you're saying, cept that I just can't make it out through all that filth[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 03-16-2006, 12:13 PM

here, i drew arrows that stand out against the mud

[IMG]local://upfiles/69/388729D3E2BC4481AAC69637E6A8C084.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-16-2006, 12:53 PM

here, i drew arrows that stand out against the mud

[IMG]local://upfiles/69/388729D3E2BC4481AAC69637E6A8C084.jpg[/IMG]
Good excuse to go out and have a smoke...[sm=smokin.gif]
Mucho grassyass..I think I seen what you're talking about..On the H3, the adjustment bolt (about a 7/8) is on the outboard side from the torsion bar..I guess..I see nothing inside of the frame towards the center of the underneath..

So, if I'm not mistaken..Jack up the front end so both tires are off the ground. Put a mark on the bolt to count 2.5 turns CW (each), this will give the front end a little lift to level it up with rear end..
[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 03-16-2006, 01:14 PM

that would be the proper way to do it, yes. i was too lazy to do it that way, the bus makes cool creaking noises when you don't jack it up and crank on the adjuster. the number of turns is up to you. i don't know about the 3, but on the 2 each turn is supposed to change the height by .2". i found that to be crap. i also found that each side adjusts differently. i have the pass side cranked more than the drivers side.

btw, smoking kills (warning, in huge letters, on cigarettes sold in the UK). think i'll go have one too. [sm=nono.gif]

Old 03-16-2006, 01:56 PM

that would be the proper way to do it, yes. i was too lazy to do it that way, the bus makes cool creaking noises when you don't jack it up and crank on the adjuster. the number of turns is up to you. i don't know about the 3, but on the 2 each turn is supposed to change the height by .2". i found that to be crap. i also found that each side adjusts differently. i have the pass side cranked more than the drivers side.

btw, smoking kills (warning, in huge letters, on cigarettes sold in the UK). think i'll go have one too. [sm=nono.gif]
Thanks again..So..if I understand you right..I might have to tweek one side more less different to get an even lift on both fronts..Right?

twistem if you gotem[sm=pimp.gif]

Old 03-16-2006, 02:15 PM

it's possible they'll be different, yes. just make sure to measure at some point before you make any adjustments. adjust them both the same and then remeasure the same place. you may want to drive it a couple miles before you remeasure, let everything settle into place first. that will tell you if you need to make any further tweaks. i did mine in the driveway, which isn't level. i'd recommend doing it in a garage, that way you won't have any "terrain" inconsistencies.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:28 PM

Thanks again amigo...Me thinks I'm a gonna do it..But I'll wait till just before I take it in for something..Like the new roof rails replacement that are due out sometime in May..Then I'll have them do a 4 wheel alignment too, because for some unknown reason they suddenly needed it[sm=innoc.gif]

Old 03-17-2006, 12:19 AM

Hey starsnbars can you tell me how bad your tires hit. i am going to get the same tire pro comp 315 75 16 or 305 70 16 i like the 315 (35) but dont want to lose the turning radius.and do they hit on both side or just when you turn the wheel ALL the way?also i dont want to spend the money on the exhaust so did you lose alot of power on get up and go with the 315 ?and 1 last thing did your spare not fit on the back door with the 315 on the stock wheel thanks again ?

Old 04-11-2006, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: nascar 17
head lights i am not worried heck i had a 12 inch lift on my king ranch super duty and 40 inch tires and never worried about the head lights.
You could consider the other folks who are 1) in front of you and 2) coming the other way...

I picked up my H3 last night....as soon as I get through some follow up stuff with the dealer, it be leveled using this method, and the Headlights will be adjusted. Headlight adjustments shouldn't be hard to do either. If you do it in the garage before you level it, just mark the wall where the center point of the beam hits...and then use the up/down adjuster afterwards to get it back close to where it was before you started.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:05 PM

great info in this thread! thanks and I plan to do this soon, I'm ordering 18's w/ Nitto Tera Grapplers 325/65/18 (34") should be bad *** with the extra lift in the front.

Quick Reply: TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT