PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire pressure!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Default Tire pressure!

Hello everybody. I recently purchased a 06 H3. The previous owner had put new tires on just a couple hundred miles before I bought it. (Lucky for me). They are Yokohama Geolander AT-S 265/75R16. Anyway, after I bought it, the Tire Pressure Monitor kept coming on. So I checked the tire pressure and it was set at over 65 PSI. On the door, it says they should be at 30. But I also read in the owners manual that aftermarket tires might not be set at the same PSI. Now the light only comes on if I'm on the highway for a while. Does anybody know the proper tire pressure or how I can find it? So i can increase the life of my tires. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by bettrthntiger
Hello everybody. I recently purchased a 06 H3. The previous owner had put new tires on just a couple hundred miles before I bought it. (Lucky for me). They are Yokohama Geolander AT-S 265/75R16. Anyway, after I bought it, the Tire Pressure Monitor kept coming on. So I checked the tire pressure and it was set at over 65 PSI. On the door, it says they should be at 30. But I also read in the owners manual that aftermarket tires might not be set at the same PSI. Now the light only comes on if I'm on the highway for a while. Does anybody know the proper tire pressure or how I can find it? So i can increase the life of my tires. Any help would be appreciated.
65lbs sounds way to high. i could be wrong but they are usually between 20 and 40 lbs. what does it say on the tire. running over inflated tires will cause you to have a rough ride and premature wear on the tire. it will wear out the senter of the tire and the edges will look new.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by vinny
65lbs sounds way to high. i could be wrong but they are usually between 20 and 40 lbs. what does it say on the tire. running over inflated tires will cause you to have a rough ride and premature wear on the tire. it will wear out the senter of the tire and the edges will look new.
On the tire it says something like 65 PSI for testing use only.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Try 35-38 psi. That should probably work to shut off the monitors.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:51 PM

Like Oruna1 said I would put them between 35-38. My TPMS go off if i get below 35 so I fill my tires to about 38.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:48 PM

try 44

Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 PM

Mine are at 44 psi and the TPM still signals. I think that its a common problem with GM Trucks (not just Hummers). I was in the shop today, getting my blower fan checked out, and I over-heard a lady explaining her problem with the TPM on her 07 Tahoe.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Read the tire sidewall! Geeze, this ain't rocket science.

TPMS issues are almost always 100% operator error. How much cerebral action does it take to inflate all four tires to the same PSI cold?

BTW, 44PSI is to much, and 65 is insane.

If you set all four to exactly 38PSI, it will be a non issue.

I run my MTZs at 40PSI because I am trying to keep my MPG up with the increased size. Rides a bit rougher, but the MPG is about the same as the Duelers at 38PSI.

The spare is not monitored so it doesn't matter what's up with that.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 PM

I notice that in your post you also mention that the TPMS light only comes on after running at freeway speed for a bit. You definitely need to set the tires to a more sensible pressure but also be sure to reset your TPMS by following the instructions in your owners manual.

After I installed new tires on my H3 the TPMS system light would come on after running on the freeway for a bit even when the tires were inflated properly. That issue went away after I reset the TPMS.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:10 PM

Not sure when they changed it but my 2006 H3 has a sensor in the spare. Check to see if the valve stem is silver. If its silver than the spare is monitored too.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure!