Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

sunroof question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 04:56 PM
Question sunroof question

My sunroof used to close automatically when I turned off the ignition. It still works fine. I just now have to manually close it, which isn't a huge issue, but helps to prevent theft if you leave it open, and prevents you from accidentally pushing the sunroof into 'vent' position. The manual gives directions for a front-to-back switch but mine is open-and-close arrows. Strange because my vehicle supposedly matches the manual (2006 H3). I was hoping that there might be some way to re-program it. Any thoughts?

Old 02-11-2021, 05:09 PM

Are you sure your sunroof is O.E.M.? I'm the original owner of my '08 Alpha and mine NEVER closed automatically when turning off the ignition. Sounds like you may have an aftermarket.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:59 PM

Hmmmm I didn't think about that! I purchased it as second owner so...Do you know if that label that shows parts ID in the glovebox will identify if it came standard when it came from the dealer?

Old 02-11-2021, 06:10 PM

I'm sure it does but I don't know the sunroof code.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:21 PM

Lose power to the ignition & the windows close?

Old 02-11-2021, 11:43 PM

I found the codes online but my ID info doesn't list the sunroof code (FYI it's CF5). I'm a bit confused. Do you know if the code list is all the equipt, including all options installed after mfg delivery? Meaning, is the code list in the glove box the way the vehicle was delivered to the dealer and then perhaps before delivery to customer, customer requested adding a sunroof by an aftermarket installation somehow connected to the dealer and the add-ons aren't listed? Or are there people that actually buy shiny new Hummers and send them off to a shop who cuts holes in them? LOL I just think it's weird not to purchase it with a sunroof already installed from the MFG. The reason I question the code list is because I also have a dvd video system installed which doesn't even show as an option and I see no coding for it. I found the manual for that in the glovebox. Wondering if my previous owner picked up his vehicle from the dealer and dropped it off for some specialty additions? There's also a few chrome accessories which are not factory either so...makes me wonder.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by GoddessLeo
My sunroof used to close automatically when I turned off the ignition. It still works fine. I just now have to manually close it, which isn't a huge issue, but helps to prevent theft if you leave it open, and prevents you from accidentally pushing the sunroof into 'vent' position. The manual gives directions for a front-to-back switch but mine is open-and-close arrows. Strange because my vehicle supposedly matches the manual (2006 H3). I was hoping that there might be some way to re-program it. Any thoughts?
I'm confused. Leaving the sunroof open helps prevent theft? Wow lol.

Anyways, my sunroof has never closed on its own after cutting ignition, thats new to me.

However, my sunroof stopped auto opening & closing on it's own after I pressed the button last week. I had to hold it to close it. The fix was performing a search feature in here on the sunroof re-learn feature. Was something like holding the forward most button for 10 secs, can't remember. You'll have to look for it. After I did that, the sunroof self open/close (after hitting switch) started working again like a charm. Hope that helps.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:37 AM

I guess you interpreted my post wrong. I meant the auto-closing prevents theft when you leave it open - as in accidentally leave it open. Also, since my sunroof controls are different than the manual, most likely it is not GM's sunroof. As my post mentions, I do not have forward/reverse buttons. I have left and right buttons. But yeah, I was thinking there must be a re-learn feature, even for my sunroof, as it has no other operation problems. I loaned my Hummer out to a family member and it came back this way so I'm thinking they messed with the controls.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Year and Model any time you ask a question. There were very few 2006 Manuals with a sunroof, likely it was an aftermarket add on and would be easy for us to tell is we had a pic of the controls and sunroof.

Do you have an aftermarket alarm/security?

Old 02-12-2021, 12:53 PM

My post says its a 2006 H3 (matches the manual). They only made a Base model. Sunroof info is in that manual, but my buttons aren't the same and its not listed as OE on the glovebox sticker. I'm thinking previous owner sent this out after dealer delivery and had a bunch of stuff added to it. It does have a security/alarm sys on it but I haven't investigated yet as to whether its factory or not. I'll look today. I might even contact the dealer to see if they can get in touch with the original owner.