Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Sunroof Drains Clog! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 AM

Well i don't have any help for you as i had the same problems with leaks. But i fixed the drains as well. I still think they will clog some. But i too have the power lock issue as well as that i have no drivers side power window either.
Good luck with yours, cuz i haven't got mine yet either. And i have done everything i can short of taking.g it to the dealer. And i won't do that until i have to. Only thing left for me to try is new door switches or wiring.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by jtceme
I've had my '06 since June of '05, and never had any 'leaky roof' issues until 2010, and in the beginning only if we got a good drenching. Last summer (2011) I got caught driving in a downpour, and as I turned a hard left got soaked, and worse, to my amazement, I couldn't see through the windshield due to the headliner drain-action at the front by the windshield. Within 30 seconds, my overhead dome lights came on, and I got all kind of crazy notifications on my DIC. When I got home I vac'd it all out, and researched on this forum the problem, and blew out the front drains, and minimized my problem. I only get to drive it a few weekends a month as I am usually strapped to my work van, so I was as good at getting the other problems fixed as I should have been. Now my power door locks work from inside, but not with the remote (and I replaced batteries in both remotes). I am now working on fixing the problems, and have most of my interior gutted (not fun, by the way). The reason your wire will only go a few feet into the front drains is because GM ran a hard pipe up beside the A-pillar, and transitioned to a flexible hose just below the top of the windshield to the front corners of the sunroof, with the flexible hose going around the hard pipe, giving a hard transition facing upwards. I have fixed my hoses from ever coming apart again with the help of a few stainless steel hose clamps (only snugged up). I have cut the squeezed off ends at the bottom, and 'ported' them with a drill..I also JB Plasticwelded the other end beside the back seat belt-tensioners to the inner fender so in the future I won't have to remove the headliner, but rather access through inner fender for cleaning. Now I am down to 2 problems: I have been searching online for hours, and can find no source to replace my carpet ('06 Cashmere), and does anybody know which module controls both the ABS and Stabilitrak (DIC still complaining about both), and is that connected to the remote-door-lock feature? All the other electrical is good.... Sorry to be so long winded, but a little history goes a long way for anyone interested in potential solutions...
The fix is simply removing the 'X' from the end of the 2 front drain fittings at the firewall. Takes about 20 minutes total. You don't have to remove anything to reach under and pull them out, drill, and then replace. After the modification, the drains flow 100% better. Doing the same mod for the 2 rear drains is optional as most have reported no more leaks after doing the fronts only.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 AM

I'll be doing the front drain mod, as soon as I can lay down under the dash again without getting soaked. I've removed everything in the interior except the dash and console, and have the carpet propped up for airflow. I've 'squished' almost 10 bath towels of water directly from under the seats, and have had a dehumidifier going on the inside for the last 3 days, and have removed over 1-1/2 gallons with that..... After dropping the headliner I discovered the back right draintube completely disconnected, and the water stains on the top of the headliner as evidence... Love my H3, just not happy with GM right now.. Never had leaky roofs in any of my F150's before... Oh, btw, there is a module directly under the driver's seat (in the middle of my flood) that according to my online research is an accelerometer "w/active brake control" for the ABS and Stabilitrak system, both of which are flashing in my DIC... I hate to throw $250 in parts at it to find out, but seems a reasonal possibility.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:13 AM

Sounds wild I didn't do any of that I had a guy that I'll call the installer who does all of my installation on my h3 and it took him about a hour To a hour and a half maybe 2 and even when it's a down pour you can almost count the drops getting in if your near Chicago let me know this guy is great when it comes to working on h3

Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 AM

I can't figure out why gm put such small drain tubes in.... They shoulda been at least double the size i think.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 PM

It's not the drain tube size that's the problem. It's that GM put those stupid X grill tips on the end of the tubes.
That's what gets clogged.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 PM

I know that is where it plugs up, but i have mine on pass side done with no x and the tree spills still get backed up. I blame it on size and the bend it makes right before it goes out through the firewall.
The x is definitely the main culprit though usually.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:15 PM

ok so we've all discussed the front drains till the cows came home
but what about the rear drains
my 06 has water filling up under the drivers side rear seat
and when I pull the hood liner down a little bit after removing the rubber seal you can see water on the roof liner
when you pour a little water in the gutter system towards the back you can hear it running down the inside of the panels
any way other than removing the hood liner to fix this
I can't see blowing the holes out with air since you can't even reach the rear ones

Old 01-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Old 01-05-2015, 01:41 PM

man what a PITA this is gonna be
and that's exactly what I suspected too
not actually a plugged drain hole but the tray leaks

Quick Reply: Sunroof Drains Clog! Please Help!