PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sucking sound with a big popping sound at shut down

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Default Sucking sound with a big popping sound at shut down

I just installed the K&N Filter system for the 2006 H3. Everything was wonderful, until an hour ago...
I installed this lastnight. And today after about and hour of driving the check engine lite came on. And when I shut the truck off, there is a big sucking sound and a loud pop. Like when someone pulls the thumb out of there mouth while sucking on it. Any ideas as to the problem? Is this mod a warrenty killer?
Please help...
Chris

Old 02-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Default RE: Sucking sound with a big popping sound at shut down

By filter system do you mean the whole cold air intake kit or just a filter, and no under law no mods can kill a warranty unless you change a suspension or something and take it in and say the suspensions messed up not their deal, but take it to the dealer you should be fine

Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 PM

recheck where you seated the filter and hoses, may not havea tight enough seal. Never had that problem with my K&N's or Airaid's. I know if it isn't seated properly you will hear the air even worse than normal. Other than that I don't know.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 PM

Yeah, I installed the whole cold air intakesystem. Replaced the factory box. And now the check engine light has come on. And there is no way in installed it incorrectly. Any idea on the sucking noise?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 PM

I must add this, even with the check engine light on. It still runs great, and I can hear no leaks while it is running. Only at shut down, there is just the quick loud sucking and pop.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 PM

I dont know much about a whole intake system, but you do still have the original air sensor or whatever in there right?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:03 PM

it sounds like a potato gun firing or an old sad bb gun

Old 02-10-2008, 08:05 PM

yes the sensor is installed and sealed properly. I still hear no air leaking anywhere. This is to weird. Maybe just a coincidence that something went wrong right after I installed this thing.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:10 PM

Could the check engine light be caused from an over abundance of oil blowing in from the
filter onto the MAF sensor?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:14 PM

is there any chance you touched the MAF element? Those things are VERY fragile and very pissy. The slightest thing will send a CEL. Take out the MAF clean the part of the intake pipe that it mounts to, reinstall it and make sure it is evenly tightened and has a GOOD seal...the slightest mess up there and you will get a CEL. Also unhook the battery for a half hour or so to let it clear and then reconnect and start up. THis should get rid of the light. Where is the pop coing from? Underhood or back of exhaust (like a backfire)? There are different kits for the 06 and the 07 models due to a MAF change in 07 for the 3.7 motor, make 100% sure that you have the K&N FIPK for teh 06 and not the 07...if you have the 07 the MAF will not seat proerly and will leak. It doesn't take much for the MAF to throw a CEL. Also make sure you have the MAF installed in the correct direction...thats a common mistake and very important.

Good luck!!

If you bring it to the dealer I would reinstall teh stock setup.....under the magnuson moss act aftermarket add ons cannot void teh warrenty unless tehy can prove it was a direct cause of the failure...but if your MAF is shot then the FIPK would void the warrenty and you will have to pay for a new one...and they are not cheap!!! Putting the stock unit back in will avoid any possible problems, for 15 minutes of work it'll be worth it.

Quick Reply: Sucking sound with a big popping sound at shut down