Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 02:11 PM
Default Speed sensor

Hello, my 2006 h3 has been sitting for a few months. I went to jump in it and it will not shift out of first gear and the speedometer doesn't work. It's a brand new transmission and fluids look good. No codes other than O2 sensors come up. From what little I know that points towards a speed sensor? Does that sound right? If so how do I test that? What should the ohm readings be? Or am I not on the right track?

Old 08-29-2018, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Have you looked at the speed sensor, is it properly connected, are the wires to it in tact w/o frays or rubbing? Is it turned all the way in?

If the rubber O ring seal to the sensor gets out of its channel, it will not allow the sensor to be seated to the proper depth and will not be able to detect speed.

If you loose a proper connection to the speed sensor (bad sensor, bad wires, dirty connector, connector not snapped into place, of the speed sensor is not fully seated in its hole in the T Case) your symptoms of no speedo with no shift are correct. If the PCM does not know how fast the truck is going, it will not allow the transmission to shift out of first or reverse.

If it looks OK, you could remove it, clean it and the connector w/ electrical contact cleaner, and put it back in to see if it works then.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:36 PM

Ok thanks. I looked at the wires and connector and they looked fine but I did not try tightening it to see if it was in all the way. I just took it out. While it's out till go ahead and clean it and put it back in and ensure its in all the way and see if it works. Thanks again
​​​​​​

Old 02-19-2019, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Have you looked at the speed sensor, is it properly connected, are the wires to it in tact w/o frays or rubbing? Is it turned all the way in?

If the rubber O ring seal to the sensor gets out of its channel, it will not allow the sensor to be seated to the proper depth and will not be able to detect speed.

If you loose a proper connection to the speed sensor (bad sensor, bad wires, dirty connector, connector not snapped into place, of the speed sensor is not fully seated in its hole in the T Case) your symptoms of no speedo with no shift are correct. If the PCM does not know how fast the truck is going, it will not allow the transmission to shift out of first or reverse.

If it looks OK, you could remove it, clean it and the connector w/ electrical contact cleaner, and put it back in to see if it works then.
Where the speed sensor is located?
I have hummer H2 2003, the speedometer does not work and the transmission does not shift to 3 and 4 gear, 2 with problems, 1 and reverse are OK.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Monia
Where the speed sensor is located?
I have hummer H2 2003, the speedometer does not work and the transmission does not shift to 3 and 4 gear, 2 with problems, 1 and reverse are OK.
You are asking an H2 question in an H3 thread....... asking about apples in the orange thread doesn't work because they are NOT the same thing. Please do not do that in the future.