Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

So doing more maintance and find a Hole cut in plastic on top of right front Fender?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 11:45 AM
Question So doing more maintance and find a Hole cut in plastic on top of right front Fender?

So we are doing more maintenance today on our 2008 H3 Seems they tapped over a hole that was cut in the plastic at the top of the fender. Looking in the engine bay and cant see any thing going to it or up threw the fender.
Best Guess it was a DIY Snorkel deal I search threads on here and came up with a ton abut ARB ones but nothing DIY. (Search function kinda sucks honestly pulls up a lot of non related post and you have to go page by page threw all 3 models no less)
Anyone have any info on this? Should i just replace it or put a snorkel back in it?
The image blow is what I am guessing was used on this one. Again I did find a snorkel like this one in the photo but its for a Jeep Wrangler not a Hummer. Just reiterate before I get told use the search function I DID got 20 pages of crap that doesnt pertain to what I am looking for

Old 10-29-2020, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like this abomination termed a snorkel? Rugged Ridge $418.56. Why anyone would do that to a perfectly normal H3/3T is beyond me. I'd find a replacement fender cowl vent if it was me.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:01 PM

Yup or you can just purchased the scoop part found one on Summit racing for $109. Thing is we are going to wheel this thing a lot. So was thinking of just getting a rubber tube to connect up under side and put the $109 snorkel on it. Really dont care what it looks like as long as it keeps it from sucking up water when we cross some. From past experiences pulling air from the front or in the fender is a bad thing. Buddy just ended up putting a new motor in his Trailblazer trail rig because of this happening to him. Not fun for sure.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:03 PM

And by the way Doc Olds the one you have there in the photo is for a Jeep Wrangler not a hummer I didnt even find one like that for a hummer any place online.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by thunderace31
And by the way Doc Olds the one you have there in the photo is for a Jeep Wrangler not a hummer I didnt even find one like that for a hummer any place online.
You posted a picture of a '09 H3T from Texas with the same snorkel.
The H3 snorkel:

Old 10-29-2020, 05:02 PM

Yup or you can just purchased the scoop part found one on Summit racing for $109. Thing is we are going to wheel this thing a lot. So was thinking of just getting a rubber tube to connect up under side and put the $109 snorkel on it. Really dont care what it looks like as long as it keeps it from sucking up water when we cross some. From past experiences pulling air from the front or in the fender is a bad thing. Buddy just ended up putting a new motor in his Trailblazer trail rig because of this happening to him. Not fun for sure.
"Scoop" and a rubber tube will not work. Water intrusion is a good thing, cleans carbon deposits, however if excessive, can cause hydrolock, and may need to turn the crank by hand. Btw, you still have a secondary air injection pump, down below the air filter box.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:34 PM

Ya the H3T I posted is how the hole is cut in the top of the fender plastic why I used it for example. I have seen all the Safari ones that go along the fender like that. And I aint paying what they want for those lol. That insane $500 and up no thanks Ill make my own. Just didnt know if there was a DIY thread I couldnt find or some thing. Like I said the search Function is really bad. Pulled up a ton of non relevant threads for all 3 Hummer styles.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:22 PM

Ya the H3T I posted is how the hole is cut in the top of the fender plastic why I used it for example. I have seen all the Safari ones that go along the fender like that. And I aint paying what they want for those lol. That insane $500 and up no thanks Ill make my own. Just didnt know if there was a DIY thread I couldnt find or some thing. Like I said the search Function is really bad. Pulled up a ton of non relevant threads for all 3 Hummer styles.
Post a picture of the hole in your fender? The picture you posted from the '09 H3T, is the cowl vent cover (19120872).

Old 10-30-2020, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Note where I stated "looks like" .... never said it was the H3 snorkel.

I wheel mine too, but got no use for snorkels. Plowing through puddles to plow through puddles is not my idea of wheeling.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:23 AM

We are in Michigan not much rock to clime here its mostly trails and stuff and some have some pretty deep water you have to go threw. Buddy Drowned his Trailblazer (as I stated above) and the water really wasnt that deep he just went threw it fast so not to get stuck in the ruts under it and the Air intake is like the hummer draws air from the grill. so as he went threw it, the water went in the air box and filled the engine hydro locking it. We got it running again and he drove home BUT 2 weeks later he had rods knocking and the engine gave up on his way to work. He ended up replacing it with a Junk yard engine with less miles but still cost him a day at work and time to source the engine remove install all that BS. I also found the Air Box deal on top of the engine is not on right leading me to believe further it had some sort of intake on it other than factory. Best guess is the guy stripped it before he traded it in to the dealer that then sent to auction where we purchased it threw a friend. Not bad truck for what we paid for it. Just needs a little work to be really nice. Lots of miles though lol.

Quick Reply: So doing more maintance and find a Hole cut in plastic on top of right front Fender?