Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Shaving Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:27 AM

I have a suggestion that everyone fails to observe.....When you rotate your tires...ROTATE ALL OF THEM.....including spare.....some will say why but here is the point....you will get 1/5th longer on your complete set of tire mileage....problem is, you need to buy 5 tires instead of 4. But you have longer to save for the additional tire....problem solved.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by 08JJ
I have a suggestion that everyone fails to observe.....When you rotate your tires...ROTATE ALL OF THEM.....including spare.....some will say why but here is the point....you will get 1/5th longer on your complete set of tire mileage....problem is, you need to buy 5 tires instead of 4. But you have longer to save for the additional tire....problem solved.
That sounds like a wonderful idea!

However, I have a naked spare on the back, and I like it to look new.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Banned
Default day ja voo doo

i really hate to prolong this but now im curious. yikes!!!,,it wont go away!
if im not mistaken,the last time this was discussed to death we heard from people who reported that a guy drove 10007 miles with 2 different size tires, and another said some all wheel caddies came with a tiny spare. other new vehicles are delivered with different size regular tires.
we know that the open diff gears get a free ride as long as u keep it dead straight on the drag strip and get some xercize when u make a turn.
if u drive in circles all 4 tires rotate at different speeds,different distances.
diff gears definetly get a workout if u drive in a circle like daytona for 500 miles so they must be designed to take a little,"off straight" driving.
i dont think a trip to the tire shop for a flat fix will trash anything.

btw my 10 adv. instruction book says "do not rotate the spare", so ill keep mine lookin good 2!

Last edited by drtom; 02-18-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
i really hate to prolong this but now im curious. yikes!!!,,it wont go away!
if im not mistaken,the last time this was discussed to death we heard from people who reported that a guy drove 10007 miles with 2 different size tires, and another said some all wheel caddies came with a tiny spare. other new vehicles are delivered with different size regular tires.
we know that the open diff gears get a free ride as long as u keep it dead straight on the drag strip and get some xercize when u make a turn.
if u drive in circles all 4 tires rotate at different speeds,different distances.
diff gears definetly get a workout if u drive in a circle like daytona for 500 miles so they must be designed to take a little,"off straight" driving.
i dont think a trip to the tire shop for a flat fix will trash anything.

btw my 10 avd. instruction book says "do not rotate the spare", so ill keep mine lookin good 2!

Good point...cars come with donuts so since I will be changing to 35's soon I will consider my stock 31 a donut....therfore it will stay looking new....however I think your book failed like I am "Just suggesting", to think outside the box.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:26 PM
Default Single Tire

@Doc Olds so if I understand you correctly: I blew a side wall today, all tires match and have about 40% life left. I should be able to throw a brand new K03 to match and be OK?

Old 07-20-2021, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

You dug up this OLD THREAD to ask this question? Yes you cam replace one tire the same as the other 3.