Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Service Stab - Best Code Reader?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 05:29 PM
Default Service Stab - Best Code Reader?

Recently I've been getting the "SERV STAB" message in the DIC, along with the stab light on the dash. It always happens well into a trip, after everything is warmed up. It has always gone away at the start of the next engine cycle. It does not happen every trip.

I stopped by a car parts store (AutoZone) to have them read the codes, but they came up empty.

I want to buy a reader for myself, and I was wondering:
1) Are there any brands to look at? Or any brands to stay away from?
2) Maybe more important, are there any features that I should be looking for? I've found a number that are ONLY OBD2 (I don't need that, already have one), and others that advertise ABS, Air Bags, and Transmission code readers. I *think* the stab system in the H3 would fall under ABS? Any other keywords to look for?

I'm not looking to spend $500 - was hoping around $150. If that is way off the mark I'll need to reconsider.

Old 10-26-2021, 06:16 PM

Autozone ONLY reads pcm. Btw, you need OBD2.

Old 10-26-2021, 06:32 PM
Old 10-26-2021, 06:45 PM

Quick response - thank you.

You said in your first response that I need OBD2. When I said I had an OBD2, I meant I can read the engine codes (the standardized codes). I understand the ABS and others are more proprietary, but they are still read through the OBD2 port. Maybe my choice of words is wrong, but I just wanted to make sure I said it correctly.

AutoZone did show "0" ABS codes on their printout. I figured that meant that the stability codes are not a part of the ABS system? At the time they checked for codes, the error was NOT there (because it goes away every engine run cycle).

Not trying to purposefully belabor this. I thank you for the recommendation on the scanner. I will be looking through it tonight.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by brothapig
Quick response - thank you.

You said in your first response that I need OBD2. When I said I had an OBD2, I meant I can read the engine codes (the standardized codes). I understand the ABS and others are more proprietary, but they are still read through the OBD2 port. Maybe my choice of words is wrong, but I just wanted to make sure I said it correctly.

AutoZone did show "0" ABS codes on their printout. I figured that meant that the stability codes are not a part of the ABS system? At the time they checked for codes, the error was NOT there (because it goes away every engine run cycle).

Not trying to purposefully belabor this. I thank you for the recommendation on the scanner. I will be looking through it tonight.
Yes you need OBD2 ONLY. Autozone showed 0 abs codes, since they only read--> PCM
Chassis codes are standalone, same with body codes, srs, etc. Get yourself a scanner that can access all modules.

Old 10-27-2021, 08:20 AM

I recently picked up an Innova 5160RS Pro reader off eBay that's close to your $150 target and can read all the modules, has live data, graphing, etc.

Product Info here

Manual download here

eBay listing here

Old 11-02-2021, 12:08 PM

NMH3,
Thank you for the info! After a little research, I went ahead and bought one - received it yesterday. Seems to be a nice unit, but more importantly, it read my code.

C0710 - Steering Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

From what I've googled, could be a loose connection, a sensor needing calibration, or I need a new sensor (and the unit I bought will do a calibration!!).

As my issue is very intermittent, I'm guessing (hoping) that it's one of the first two. If anyone has experience with this error that could add something, I would appreciate it. Otherwise I think I have a path forward.

Thanks all!

Old 11-02-2021, 08:19 PM

Sensor only needs calibrated when installed in the improper position. Connector can't be loose unless tampered/damaged. Contact failure could be the source?