Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

4 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 11:13 AM
Default 4 wheel drive

I’m taking the Hummer off roading this weekend? Any advice.never done it before. I tried to press the 4 up bottom and that seems to work but when I press 4 down. The lights flashes but it won’t go solid. Anyone know what’s going on?

Old 11-03-2021, 11:55 AM

you need to be in neutral before pushing the button. if it still happens then the selector motor or shift fork on the transfer case have issues. could also be dirty connections on the selector servo motor plug on the transfer case.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:13 PM

As for general advice, I am also very new to off-roading. Go with, or join up, with someone else who is experienced. Does not need to be a friend; my experience is the people generally out there are very willing to help others get started. You'll want some extra eyes on to make sure you don't get yourself in a regrettable situation.

Also, bring a first aid kit, water, food, tools, tow rope, and a shovel. Extra socks/clothes if there is a chance you'll get wet. Always a chance you'll be out there a while waiting for a rescue! (Let's hope not though!).

I think you'll have fun. I had fun my first time out as well.

Ryan

Old 11-03-2021, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rogcapital
I’m taking the Hummer off roading this weekend? Any advice.never done it before. I tried to press the 4 up bottom and that seems to work but when I press 4 down. The lights flashes but it won’t go solid. Anyone know what’s going on?
READ the Owner's Manual. It tells you how to operate your vehicle. If you do not have one, they are online free for the reading. If you read it, you would know your H3 is always in 4WD, the T Case control buttons are for Hi and Low Lock. It answers your question about Low Lock:
"Shifting into Four-Wheel Low Lock Notice: Shifting the transmission into gear before the indicator light stops flashing could cause damage to the transfer case. Always wait until the indicator light stops flashing before putting the transmission back in gear. To shift into Four-Wheel-Low Lock, the ignition must be in ON and the vehicle must be stopped or moving less than 3 mph (5 km/h) with the transmission in NEUTRAL (N). The preferred method for shifting into Four-Wheel Low is to have your vehicle moving 1 to 2 mph (1.6 to 3.2 km/h). Press and release the Four-Wheel-Low Lock button. If your vehicle has a manual transmission, the clutch pedal must be pressed to the floor while you press the Four-Wheel-Low Lock button, or the shift will not be completed. You must wait for the Four-Wheel-Low Lock indicator light to stop flashing and remain lit before shifting your transmission in gear.

It is normal for your vehicle to have engagement noise and bump when shifting between Four-Wheel Low and Four-Wheel High ranges or from NEUTRAL with the engine running. If the Four-Wheel-Low Lock button is pressed when your vehicle is in gear and/or moving too fast, the Four-Wheel-Low Lock indicator light will flash for 15 seconds and not complete the shift unless your vehicle is moving less than 3 mph (5 km/h) and the transmission is in NEUTRAL (N). After 15 seconds the transfer case will return to the last chosen setting.

Shifting Out of Four-Wheel-Low Lock Notice: Shifting the transmission into gear before the indicator light stops flashing could cause damage to the transfer case. Always wait until the indicator light stops flashing before putting the transmission back in gear.

To shift out of Four-Wheel-Low Lock, your vehicle must be stopped or moving less than 3 mph (5 km/h) with the transmission in NEUTRAL (N) and the ignition in ON. The preferred method for shifting out of Four-Wheel-Low Lock is to have your vehicle moving 1 to 2 mph (1.6 to 3.2 km/h)."

I would make sure your T Case goes into and out of Low lock smoothly before you go to your off road site, because if it gets stuck in Low trying to drive home at 25Mph is not an ideal situation and could cause damage on dry pavement where lock modes are NOT to be used.

Do you have tires capable of getting off improved roads, under carriage protection, rock rails? I would suggest SLOW and EASY until you understand how the H3 responds to obstacles etc... Quickest way to tear chit up is going too fast and trying to do too much before you know what you are doing.

Have fun.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
you need to be in neutral before pushing the button. if it still happens then the selector motor or shift fork on the transfer case have issues. could also be dirty connections on the selector servo motor plug on the transfer case.
thanks. I put it in neutral and worked like a charm.

and thanks for the Geneal advice also.