Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Secondary Air Injection Pump Removal/Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 11:45 PM
Default Secondary Air Injection Pump Removal/Installation

Im replacing the secondary air injection pump (smog pump) on my 2007 H3. Im having trouble finding installation instructions. Has anyone replaced this themselves and Can anyone lead me in the right direction to get the old one removed and the new installed properly?

Old 01-08-2022, 07:50 PM

Why?

Old 01-08-2022, 09:04 PM

My mechanic(also a close friend), who is honest and very reputable in my city ran all diagnostics on the hummer (which has had many issues due to age and mileage). He found the secondary air injection pump not working. I asked him to leave anything he thinks I would be able to replace myself… Its the last part I need to install and having issues finding steps for installation.

QUOTE=hummerz;390809]Why?

[/QUOTE]

Old 01-09-2022, 09:45 AM

Secondary Air Injection Pump Replacement

Removal Procedure

Fig. 238: Locating Air Injection (AIR) Pump Inlet & Outlet Hoses
Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Fig. 239: Identifying AIR Pump Wiring Harness Connector

Fig. 240: Releasing/Connecting AIR Pump Wiring Harness Connector

Fig. 241: Removing/Installing AIR Pump
  1. Open the hood.
  2. From under the hood, disconnect the secondary air injection (AIR) pump inlet hose quick connect fitting (1) from the pump. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service.
  3. Disconnect the AIR pump outlet hose quick connect fitting (2) from the pump. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service.
  4. Remove the engine shield. Refer to Engine Shield Replacement .
  5. Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connector from the AIR pump wiring harness electrical connector.
  6. Squeeze the AIR pump wiring harness electrical connector clip (1) together and push up in order to separate the clip/connector from the bracket.
  7. Open the AIR pump wiring harness clip (2) and remove the harness from the clip.
  8. Remove the AIR pump nuts (1).
  9. Lower the vehicle.
  10. Reposition the AIR pump inlet and outlet hoses as necessary in order to remove the pump.
  11. Remove the AIR pump.

Installation Procedure

Fig. 242: Removing/Installing AIR Pump

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice .Fig. 243: Releasing/Connecting AIR Pump Wiring Harness Connector

Fig. 244: Identifying AIR Pump Wiring Harness Connector

Fig. 245: Locating Air Injection (AIR) Pump Inlet & Outlet Hoses
  1. Install the AIR pump.
  2. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
  3. Install the AIR pump nuts (1).Tighten: Tighten the nuts to 9 N.m (80 lb in).
  4. Install the AIR pump wiring harness electrical connector clip (1) to the bracket.
  5. Install the AIR pump wiring harness to the clip (2) and close the clip.
  6. Connect the engine wiring harness electrical connector to the AIR pump wiring harness electrical connector.
  7. Install the engine shield. Refer to Engine Shield Replacement .
  8. Position the AIR pump inlet and outlet hoses as necessary.
  9. Connect the AIR pump outlet hose quick connect fitting (2) to the pump. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service.
  10. Connect the AIR pump inlet hose quick connect fitting (1) to the pump. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service.
  11. Close the hood.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:53 PM
Default Various Secondary Air Issues - P0418/P0412

Greetings Folks!

I have been trying to resolve some secondary air issues. Initial problem seemed to be related to the main relay that sits near the firewall. Seemed to be failing and leaving the circuit closed, so the SAI pump would keep running and run the battery down. Troubleshooting was to tap the relay after turning the car off and hearing the pump continue to run. Replaced relay, problem solved. Started to get a P0418 code (Secondary Air Injection System Relay A circuit Malfunction) and CEL. Figured maybe was the relay again, pulled it out and tested it, apply power on the small tabs, hear the click, get continuity on the big tabs. Hmm. Started to get P0412 as well. Started to look into air pump and the injection check valve, and the hoses. Air pump seemed a bit anemic, so replaced that, check valve was probably fine until I decided to clean it, so got some new error code and replaced that as well - that code went away. Don't feel too bad about that as it looked like crap inside. Cleaned the MAF and throttle body, checked air hoses, all seems like it's good.

Looked in the fuse box, any fuse that's remotely possible by name to be connected to the air system checks out. Did find relay #80 (one of the 5510-0329), swapped that with another of the same, no solution. Swapped the PCM out to see if that would help, nope.

Where I am at now - P0418 and P0412 codes (P0411 wanders in every so often). Air pump does not energize.
Main relay (big one back at the firewall) appears good. What messes me up on this relay is that if I jump the power wires in the socket (87/30 as the relay is supposed to do), the SAI pump turns on (so pump is good). I put my meter on the activation pins (85-86), and I get 15v when I start the engine - and corresponding 'airflow on' entry in my Torque app. Seems like the relay should close the circuit. I put the relay on but the SAI pump doesn't come on (relay bench tests fine, open without power on 85/86, closed when power on 85/86). When I initially swapped one of the other 5510-0329 relays, the pump did activate, but that only lasted a bit. Something blew the 60A fuse for the pump, but I replaced that and pump still not blowing (I tried the small relay from Rock Auto they have listed as the air pump/smog relay in place of the 0329, maybe that did something to cause the fuse to blow, not sure).

Any ideas? Any guidance on what to check for at the relay pins where the 0329 relay goes? Is that relay even part of this circuit/issue? The wiring at the check valve looks good, but I am not sure how to bench test the check valve to make sure it's working.

Driving me nuts, and I can't pass smog check with the errors. Appreciate any input.

(Battery is under 1YO, kept on a tender, and clamps have been replaced - by some gold plated god awful looking thing that makes you think Flava Flav got into car parts, but for some reason, AZone only had those available)

2007 H3 Adventure / 127K

Thanks!
JD

Old 01-22-2022, 05:48 PM

Inspect/repair wiring.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:06 PM

Start here inspecting wiring:

Old 01-22-2022, 06:28 PM

Thanks! Will start running down the wiring.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:19 PM

After more troubleshooting, connected the old blower, jumped the main relay power connections and old blower lights up. New blower all quiet. Bad new blower, going to have to send it back. Hopefully, old blower with new check valve and relay will have enough to pass smog. CEL remains lit, but only pending P0418 and P0411 remain in the codes section. Doing the driving to get the sensors in the ready state.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:23 PM

Removed per the instructions, taking out the engine shield means pulling the upper rad hose. Hate messing with coolant. Second time around, pulled the airbox and was able to get the pump out that way. Bit of wiggle and hope to get it around the shield and tensioner arm, but came out easy. Cleaner and also gave better access to the hose fittings.

Quick Reply: Secondary Air Injection Pump Removal/Installation