Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Rear Lift Questions (Shackles, Add Leaf, New Leaf Spring?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Default Rear Lift Questions (Shackles, Add Leaf, New Leaf Spring?)

So I'm sitting at a constant 23" in the rear due to extra weight I'm carrying around.

I intend to go Bilsteins all around, and considering how to go about regaining the 3/4-1" I lost in the rear.

I've heard yes and no that the rear Bilsteins will give me a little more height, but haven't been able to get a straight answer.

I considering the SamCo shackles that are 2" longer than stock. I've read a lot about how they'll wear my leaf springs quicker and make the truck handle badly.

Then I looked at add-a-leaf, mainly the Tuff Country, and people say thats bad for your leaf pack too.

Ok fine, whatever, so then I looked at a whole new Tuff Country leaf spring pack.....

I don't know much about suspension yet but I'm learning, and my good friend who is a life long mechanic will be doing the work, but I feel bad bothering him during the day because he's so busy.

My main question, is whats my best option, and what are the hidden costs that I may be getting into without realizing it?

I see a lot of the parts have additional things listed with them, like for example the leaf spring pack states "Bushings Included: No".

With what options will I require more parts than just what I'm considering buying to make it all work? Sorry for the noob questions, but I'm definitely willing and able to learn!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:15 PM
rsc

I have heard a lot of people say that the shackles will cause your springs to sag pretty quickly, especially considering that you are already compressing the springs with extra weight now. I would go for the complete Tuff Country spring pack or look at getting your current springs re-curved/stiffened at a shop. The new shocks won't make the rear ride any higher on it's own, but might temporarily keep the rear from sagging as the damping holds the shock extension a little longer instead of quickly dropping back down. The Bilsteins WILL help if you need a slightly longer TRAVEL.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:11 PM

If I go the spring pack route, does anyone know what parts if any I'll need in addition to the spring pack?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by rsc
look at getting your current springs re-curved/stiffened at a shop.
X2, due to the weight of your "system".

You might also want to read this again (it's your previous post on the exact same subject from last month):
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...e-elses-23336/

Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
X2, due to the weight of your "system".

You might also want to read this again (it's your previous post on the exact same subject from last month):
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...e-elses-23336/
Well, I was kind of just looking for info on what additional parts I'd need more than just a leaf spring. I'm leaning towards the leaf spring since I can just buy the base tuff country kit when I'm ready since I already have the leaf springs.....

Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 PM

Any spring shop worth their weight will be able to sell you what you are looking for (a reworked spring pack or a breand new spring pack). If you want to install them yourself to save a little $ with your buddy I applaud that.

The leaf spring packs in the rear of our H3s is what sets the "ride height". The shocks control (dampen) the compresson and rebound of the leaf spring packs. The sping shop can calculate for the added weight you carry everyday. They may just add a helper leaf or 2 to your existing spring pack or "re-arch" the springs you have.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Any spring shop worth their weight will be able to sell you what you are looking for (a reworked spring pack or a breand new spring pack). If you want to install them yourself to save a little $ with your buddy I applaud that.

The leaf spring packs in the rear of our H3s is what sets the "ride height". The shocks control (dampen) the compresson and rebound of the leaf spring packs. The sping shop can calculate for the added weight you carry everyday. They may just add a helper leaf or 2 to your existing spring pack or "re-arch" the springs you have.
The problem is here in the Cleveland area actually finding shops worth their salt. I don't really want to go to 4WheelParts anymore, I called them awhile ago about the cost to install a tuff country lift and they stated they would not install tuff country as they don't "Guarantee" their parts.

I called up tuff country as soon as I hung up with them and explained the situation. Needless to say the guy from tuff country was more than a little upset seeing how 4WP carries some of their products.

He told me that was extremely unprofessional considering they carry tuff country products, and it was probably because 4WP is owned by Pro Comp. I was told they offer a lifetime limited warranty on their parts, with the only "limited" part being if the parts are not installed or maintained correctly.

I just don't like the overall holier than though additudes of everyone at 4WP.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Draketh
The problem is here in the Cleveland area actually finding shops worth their salt. I don't really want to go to 4WheelParts anymore, I called them awhile ago about the cost to install a tuff country lift and they stated they would not install tuff country as they don't "Guarantee" their parts.

I called up tuff country as soon as I hung up with them and explained the situation. Needless to say the guy from tuff country was more than a little upset seeing how 4WP carries some of their products.

He told me that was extremely unprofessional considering they carry tuff country products, and it was probably because 4WP is owned by Pro Comp. I was told they offer a lifetime limited warranty on their parts, with the only "limited" part being if the parts are not installed or maintained correctly.

I just don't like the overall holier than though additudes of everyone at 4WP.
Cleveland Spring
(216) 431-4010
3404 Superior Ave E, Cleveland, OH 44114

Bob's Spring & Auto Service
(216) 641-4700
5321 Bragg Rd, Cleveland, OH 44127

Cleveland Spring
(216) 447-0004
7951 Granger Rd, Cleveland, OH

Old 04-27-2011, 03:54 PM

I called two of the places you listed Tainter and they both told me adding a leaf isn't going to do anything since the leaf pack sits under the axle. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me......

Old 04-27-2011, 04:04 PM

I called two of the places you listed Tainter and they both told me adding a leaf isn't going to do anything since the leaf pack sits under the axle. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me......

The guy basically told me my only option was a lift kit.....

Quick Reply: Rear Lift Questions (Shackles, Add Leaf, New Leaf Spring?)