Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Rack and Pinion Movement

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 AM

Thanks ATV the link you shared is the exact one i found on the net. But $180 not including shipping to Hawaii is not in my budget.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by wortex
It is realistically available not like the OEM which hasn't been available for years.
It is designed for the Toyota Trucks, but fits the Hummer H3 perfectly.
It also includes the other 2 bushings and much better material then the OEM.
Its not as good as Hunner's metal rings, but better then the not-available OEM bushings.

Energy Suspension also makes a kit 8.10104R (Red) or 8.10104G (Black), that's what we used but the Dorman might be easier/cheaper to get.

Hummer H2
as far as the H2 and H3, yes I supply parts for the Hummer Shop and we do research everywhere for parts.
The H2 armored truck is still here and in service. We were able to improve the power steering issue but not completely solved.
If anybody is interested the new design from GM 2008 and up H2, was better then the old. Also we used synthetic transmission fluid in the system.

We try and do everything to solve an issue when the factory parts are not-available or substandard. In the H3 case the factory part was both.

I work with a GM dealer on a daily basis, I have personal access to their computer. That number is not a valid GM part # and not available at all. We looked on dealer-world several times.
no dealer showed inventory in a country as the number does not even come up in a system.
if you typed the number wrong and there is a bushing, that's possible, but GM no longer services the bushing. If you look it up as application there is a diagram #9 which then refers to the steering rack.

chao amigo I'm done with this, as the solution has been found and repaired.

Does this fit a Hummer H3?? My hummer is getting on my nerves with its creeping like a fat old lady in a hover round!!!

Old 05-31-2013, 11:08 AM

heres another....i ordered this one and am waiting for it to arrive.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:58 PM

Just received my Outfitter Designs Steering Rack Mount and Bushings along with their prototype 18mm tie rods. Going to be a busy week but I will try to find time to install them both. Pix and a writeup to come later.....

Old 05-31-2013, 05:28 PM

Tundra 2000-2007 rack and pinion bushing supposely fits a Hummer H3.. I am going to order them monday!

Old 05-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Old 06-01-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by sneakypigeons
SWEET Thank you!!!

Old 06-02-2013, 05:31 PM

I have been running the PCF ScorpWorks H3 steering rack mount on my H3T for the past 4 months (if you Google search: "H3 steering rack mount" - the very first search result is the ScorpWorks bracket).

The ScorpWorks steering rack mount addresses the total rack mounting issues - which includes supporting the weak factory passenger side rack frame mount's thin metal mounting pad as well as allowing for the GM factory-designed steering rack's ability to float in its mounting. To date, I have over 4,000 miles on the ScorpWorks bracket (including a few hundred miles of offroad trail miles (AZ and Moab) and have had ZERO issues with the mount or the steering rack. All movement of the steering rack is completely gone as well as the resulting bump steer. Even my local GM dealer/HUMMER service facility has been inspecting the product & is now going to give their out-of-warranty H3 customers the option of replacing their worn-out OEM steering rack brackets with the OEM bushing OR the Scorpworks bracket because they have been closely monitoring the results of the one on my H3T & they are impressed with the PCF product. I have personally helped install 4 of these brackets on H3s and there have been ZERO issues with any of the installations. Great product, with a proven track record.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:46 PM

I order the Bushing Kit.. Should be here in 14 days!

Old 06-03-2013, 01:30 PM

My steering rack & pinion mount bushing is shot and I am going to have to replace it soon. I noticed most of the DIY fixes and custom parts (such as scorpworks bracket) dont have a bushing in it which raises some concerns for me. I am no engineer but I would think the GM engineers put a bushing on the rack mount for a reason. Anyone else have any insight or concerns related to this type of fix? Just want to make sure I am going about this fix the right way. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Rack and Pinion Movement