Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

question on speaker swap, H3,non monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 04:39 PM

people and their feelings these days.....grow some thicker skin and be able to debate on a public forum. If we all agreed on everything in life or considered all feelings, the world would be boring!

Dr Tom - parellel or series, with a passive crossover....it limits the Hz frequency. Depending on the filter, it will restrict mid or low frequencies to any tweeter. Component systems work in the same fashion. Tainter is DEAD ON. Also, people do pay those prices. Those who expect quality sound at ANY level. Also, 3db is a barely perceptible change while 5db is clearly noticable change.

So for a guy who likes TRUTH, you just received it.

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Now please do us all a favor and spend your time wisely. Take a typing class.

Last edited by Mr. Fancy Pants; 09-13-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Banned

lso, 3db is a barely perceptible change while 5db is clearly noticable change.
ahhh i thot that wuz about what i said,,,3 db not noticed!!

ifn u look real close at ure wiring diagram for monsoon,and elcheepo,u will see how the tweets iz wired,,,or my book just printed that page rong.
maybee i can get a picture 4 u

i really doubt anyone could detect the diff in those spensive spks and walmart. have you seen what wally sells in spks ?

if i get pics u will see tweets conn direct to amp,,no crossover is shown.
dont know how they are driven??

btw i have a pair of hugh heath 1648 three way spks and 2 cabs i cloned with crossovers..be assured i know how coils,caps make tuned circuits/filters/hi pass/lo pass/band pass/notch,,,,

Last edited by drtom; 09-13-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Banned

heres what my 07 manual shows. tweets in parallel. and thats the TRUTH URE LOOKIN AT!!!
i must admit i was stunned when i first saw this last year when a question came up. i think it was discussed then so im surprised at the big deal made about it now.
i think the cheep radio prob doesnt drive them too hard,,or they get blown and nobody notices!! do you know for a fact that your tweeters are working??

oh not good pics, if you use irfan,etc do auto adj color for readability

So for a guy who likes TRUTH, you just received it.!!!

Attached Thumbnails question on speaker swap, H3,non monsoon-base-crop.jpg   question on speaker swap, H3,non monsoon-monsoon-crop.jpg  

Last edited by drtom; 09-13-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:41 PM

How do you think they seperate the frequencies then? Is it the flux capacitor in the difibulator x package dongle near the knee twister? Just because they are not on the wiring diagram, does not mean they don't exist. Does your wiring diagram breakdown the parts of each speaker as well????? hmmmm?

And i have seen what Wally World sells in speakers, amps and head units. Just so happens everything in my work rig is from Wally.com. :-)

Last edited by Mr. Fancy Pants; 09-13-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Also, you'd think if you've built custom clones in the past with the use of crossovers, then you'd think you would understand the importance of seperating the frequencies on respective speakers. Who in their right mind would send a 50Hz signal to a tweeter in parellel? They would last for about 2 minutes.

And yes, since I installed car audio systems for 10 years...I know for a fact my "tweets" are working just fine.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:04 PM

Fancy Pants, no arguing with tom. It gets you know where fast. I just like to point out the short comings (inaccuracies) of his rants and watch him go off trying to defend them.

I was a sound quality/installation judge for IASCA for many, many years and owner and installer of competition systems for even longer. Having built a sheet ton of passive crossover networks with anything from 6db slopes to 24 db slopes I KNOW (as you do) that there is a passive crossover in line somewhere.

For those of you who do not have the stomach for an online disagreement, WOW! If you just want inaccurate information with no real fact checking, I guess this forum isn't the one you are looking for. I am sorry, and not for the disagreement.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Banned

well well,,,the jokes on all of us!!!

the stuff i used yrs ago had caps AND coils to make a real crossover. i can send pics of that too.
you gotta admit the diagram is pretty convincing huh??!!

so i pulled the left side tweet trim out and looked,,,real hard and indeed there is a tiny 4.7 mfd cap hiding in the plastic housing,part of the tweet. its a cheap and dirty way to get some freq split but not what i envisioned as a "crossover network"!!

so if you look only at the official gm service literature you will see nothing resembling a network. just wires and a symbol of a speaker identical to the other speakers.
the cap;
its hidden, i found it, pics to follow

Old 09-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

the proof! hidden cap. you were right it was "somewhere"!

edit 10 20 pm, just for fun i went back for this, from taint,
I KNOW (as you do) that there is a passive crossover in line somewhere.

For those of you who do not have the stomach for an online disagreement, WOW! If you just want inaccurate information with no real fact checking, I guess this forum isn't the one you are looking for. I am sorry, and not for the disagreement.
so he knew it was in there ,,"somewhere"!!, but HE did no fact checking!!, i did.

i was working with facts,the diagrams that showed nothing but direct wires,and separate wires for monsoon tweeters.
the question still is, why separate wires if the monsoon tweet has a cap for crossover just like the base radio.
its misleading and people who dont fact check, who make stuff up mislead and confuse the issue.

Attached Thumbnails question on speaker swap, H3,non monsoon-tweet-cap-2.jpg   question on speaker swap, H3,non monsoon-tiny-cap-.jpg  

Last edited by drtom; 09-13-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned

i want to end my part of this by saying that on this forum a lot of people attack people, and i try to attack bs,half truth and the "made up" stuff that some try to get away with.

and this;
"Is my reply having a positive impact on the community and those reading it?"
, bs
truth and accuracy have a positive impact,not necessarily "playing nice". how you get to the truth is sometime like making sausage! a little messy

Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 AM

For the unscientific method, anyone who has more than 3 active brain cells can tell the sound quality difference between a freaking 6" speaker from the shi**iest retail company in the US, and a 6" Infinity Kappa. If you cant tell the difference, Then you don't need to replace your factory speakers either.

From drtoms 'logic' we should all drive Yugo's, Since cars are all the same anyway there's no difference. jst whels n strring whel wuts tha dffrnc, wat itz in ma buuk

Quick Reply: question on speaker swap, H3,non monsoon