Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Pulling H3 oil pan..

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 08:52 AM
Default Pulling H3 oil pan..

Is it possible to pull the oil pan on a 09 hummer h3 L5, without pulling the front differential? Can the engine be lifted enough to pull the oil pan? Thank you for your help.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:56 PM

Why are you dropping the oil pan? Actuator sprocket replacement is on top.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Why are you dropping the oil pan? Actuator sprocket replacement is on top.

I don't think I can enough slack in the timing chain to change the actuator, if it gets slack, the adjuster will get even tighter.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by georgethe3rd
I don't think I can enough slack in the timing chain to change the actuator, if it gets slack, the adjuster will get even tighter.
You do NOT need to remove the oil pan to change the timing chain or actuator. The service manuals are all online free, LOOK at one, print off the pages you might need handy. You need a special tool to hold the timing chain in position while you remove the tensioner. Two GM specialty tools: A Camshaft holder and Angle Meter should be used, see if you can rent them as the Angle Meter is pricy.

You do need to remove the front cover and camshaft cover, but you already know that. See my link to the manual. Look at it like changing the timing chain, even though you are not, add in the exhaust cam actuator stuff. I do not know how many miles are on the motor, but might want to replace the timing chain tensioner while in there. It is a PITA job, but take your time and Good Luck!

H3 Engine Manual

Old 10-28-2021, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
You do NOT need to remove the oil pan to change the timing chain or actuator. The service manuals are all online free, LOOK at one, print off the pages you might need handy. You need a special tool to hold the timing chain in position while you remove the tensioner. Two GM specialty tools: A Camshaft holder and Angle Meter should be used, see if you can rent them as the Angle Meter is pricy.

You do need to remove the front cover and camshaft cover, but you already know that. See my link to the manual. Look at it like changing the timing chain, even though you are not, add in the exhaust cam actuator stuff. I do not know how many miles are on the motor, but might want to replace the timing chain tensioner while in there. It is a PITA job, but take your time and Good Luck!

H3 Engine Manual
the only way to remove the front cover from the engine, is to remove the pickup tube bolt is attached to the oil pump. Oil pump is attached to front cover. No way to get to oil pickup tube bolt out, without remove oil pan. 1 little bolt..

Old 10-28-2021, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Google the topic, there are near step by step vids out there.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:53 AM

Google the topic, there are near step by step vids out there.

this the bolt talking about Doc. I rebuilt this engine, got less than 200 miles on it.. I haven't found anything to show how to remove the front cover without removing the oil pan. I don't know if I could get the actuator in without backing the chain tensioner. Thank you for your help.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

I am just going from memory, but I think somebody did that replacement years ago without even removing the front cover? Don't have time to search for it, might not even be available anymore. IDK

Old 10-28-2021, 03:32 PM

I am just going from memory, but I think somebody did that replacement years ago without even removing the front cover? Don't have time to search for it, might not even be available anymore. IDK
Thanks Doc, that would save hrs & hrs of work. I'll try and find what you were talking about.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:06 PM

Secure the chain on the intake sprocket, mark the chain & sprocket before you remove the actuator sprocket, match that mark on the new sprocket and install, matching the mark on the chain. I still don't get the oil pan removal?

Quick Reply: Pulling H3 oil pan..