Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Protype Roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:34 PM

SWEET rack! Any update on production schedules and availability?

Old 03-29-2009, 01:31 AM

We are designing a similar model from thick walled aluminum. removing the grid style floor while adding additional floor struts and slats will strengthen and lighten the rack. We are looking into different style roof ladders as customers have had different ideas. Also the flush mount roof lighting will us two options for lights. Hella light pack seats will run about 200.00 installed, while we are looking into special made units that will save the customer about a hundred dollars.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the update. I'm heading to Moab in June ... any chance they'll be available by then? I'd be more than happy to do some free testing for you and give you tons of exposure!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 PM

With the economy the way it is, our main concern is making a rack that is affordable for customers by comparison to other companies, yet still be profitable. We want to maintain as many options as possible, giving the customer the ability to "build your own rack" type of web layout. Something similar to the upgrades you can add or subtract on the H3 website. We are thinking of including rock rails, front and rear bumpers, all steel for those. And a cowl hood intake for V8 models trucks. Another issue is the continued manufactering of the hummer line itself.

We are still waiting on the new building, so June would be tough. But if we get the aluminum unit finished, who knows. We have worked with cold rolled and molly steel per customers replies. But if you look closely at your roof line, it not only curves side to side, but also front to back. Aluminum would allow us to slightly bend all tubing to conform better. Plus we hate the gaps under most roof racks. If we use steel, we would not be able to incorperate our side lifting hinge idea because of weight.

This one is a biggy for me as I think keeping clearance low is a huge benifit. But you also want to keep your rig clean as well! Having a custom hinged rack would allow for all sorts of benifits. Easy cleaning and easy removal if you had large items like sheet rock or plywood to transport while still use the locking rail system. Aluminum is light and will never rust. I'm about 95 percent sure we are sticking with 60-61.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 PM

You are on the right track. Keep us posted.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:45 PM

Hey Brick, any update on the shop and your rack design? It's looking good that HUMMER is going to be around a while so you should have a viable market to sell to.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:54 PM

That whole rig looks fantastic
I'm sure there is a market for it out there, be it rather small.
Good luck

Old 05-22-2009, 07:20 AM

awesome brick keep at it buddy

Old 05-23-2009, 03:47 AM

Thank you for the support. The city of Louisville and all its glory has placed a hold on our originally approved shop permit, (21 days into construction). Looks like they want our land for other commercial use, or so they say. This could be a very bad thing or a very good one deppending on the outcome. Of coarse, they could simply make things difficult and costly based on time. I have always found it odd how owning something has always turned out to be an "illusion for that sayed owner", when someone or something more powerful than that owner decides they "want or need" what one may already "own" or currently pay for. kinda sucks. And using the "hold of progress" card is weak on the cities part. We have owned our downtown plot for nearly five years. Took eight months for approval. So I'm starting to understand the hold up based on the fact someone, probably a bank or insurance company, likes the location. But I digress.

We have decided to use T-6061 aluminum and tig everything. Also, a powder coated finish will replace that crappy liner junk we played around with. Options will remain as such, floor panels, lighting, newly designed ladder, shovel, jack, and tire mounts. Also lighting options. and finally two sepperate lengths. onr for sunroof, one without.

Size is specific, as the adapters for the H3 can be swapped to fit a Cherokee, Fj, and a few other model vehicles. The design itself and the ability to work with other model trucks will allow us to reach more customers and still keep costs low. I think our biggest positive feedback has been the forward scoop tilt and air flow. But we will change the square stock to a mix of round and rectangle, it looks better. We may even offer a polished version.
Thanks again
Right now its a waiting game. The costs will be a bit more for aluminum, but less for shipping based on weight, so things balance out!

Old 05-23-2009, 11:24 AM

I really like the look of the rack and the prices. Will the ladder work with a rear mounted 35" spare?

Quick Reply: Protype Roof rack