Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Problem with Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 05:46 PM
Default Problem with Key Fob

I just recently purchased an 06 hummer h3, but for some reason it did not come with any key fobs. So, I purchased a cheap one off amazon and went to my local GM dealership. They said that it would not program and that it's best to buy an OEM key fob. They had one for $100, I said no to that. I then went online and found an OEM key fob for $50. I bought that and then went back to the dealership to get it programed. They said that they still could not get it to program and then they charged me $55 for labor. They then said that I could set up an appointment for a diagnostic to find out the problem. But, they said that that would cost me $55 at a minimum. I just don't understand how it could be so difficult to program a key fob! Is there something wrong with my hummer's computer? I'm just not sure what to do at this point. Do any of you guys have any ideas? Thanks for your help on this.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:55 PM

Hi your keyless remote talks to your Body Control Module (BCM) I have the same problem with my 06. Does your dash display a Serv TPM On the LED screen?
The factory may have to replace and reprogram the BCM if it's not sorted out it's like $500 bucks

Steve

Old 10-12-2019, 06:07 PM

Yes, the Serv TPM is on my LED Screen. So, if it's the BCM, I wouldn't just be able to buy a new one and replace it myself? $500 seems like a crazy amount. Anyway, thanks for the reply, this is very helpful knowledge.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:20 PM

The BCM controls the alarm system its possible that if you replace it it may not start. Im not 100% on this situation I agree it is stupid expensive.
If you want to replace it and see what happens you can tow it but I would talk to the dealership first.
Do try to do the TPM reset before you do anything else as it helps to confirm a misbehaving BCM.

Steve

Old 10-12-2019, 06:54 PM

You can go to a locksmith also, most have the capacity to program the remotes
I have a Snap On Modis and used it to program my $10 remote fobs, no problem.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:33 AM

Call around a decent used car dealer could help as well as a competent smith...

Old 02-19-2020, 11:40 AM

I would NOT buy a new BCM and have it install at your local dealership unless there is an highly EXPERIENCED Hummer H3 technician on staff. Otherwise, they will respond like they did to me, "there is a grounding or some other electrical issue and we need more time to diagnose". Which in turn means, lots more money. Then, if they did attempt to replace BCM and can't get it to respond you are in BAD situation. The H3 will not start since the H3's immobilization program kicks in. You insert key and attempt to start, but absolutely NOTHING happens, all lights work on the drivers I/P display but all you hear are crickets. This is the worst feeling. This is what happened in my case (08' H3 Alpha).
My local dealership attempted to replace my NEW BCM and program it, I got a message from Service Manager saying there were other issues with the electrical system. It got to the point where they were willing to return my Alpha and 208.00 dollars they initially charged me to program the BCM & the bill included some troubleshoooting the technican attempted. In the end, I used their equipment to program the New BCM and recognize my H3 to be able to drive it. I explained to the Owner/Manager of the dealership that I'm a Control Systrms Enginer bt trade (local nuclear power plant). This is how I was able to use their equipment and have the BCM recognize the H3 to drive away it. Most GM technicians are NOT trained to diagnose and use the Hummer software, which is could possibly be different than other GM vehicles.
On the other hand, if you have an EXPERIENCED GM Hummer techician avaiable, I would definitely pay the shop/dealership to program the New BCM otherwise your H3 could possibly be IMMOBOLIZED like my Alpha. This is my experience with a New BCM. The nearest Qualified GM Hummer dealership is 200 miles away.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:31 PM

OP sounds like your dealer only want to program the fob if you buy it from him. go to a locksmith