Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Powered Side Steps

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 03:22 AM
Default RE: Powered Side Steps

ORIGINAL: shortbus

you're right about the black bars bolted to the frame, they're "rock sliders", although they're not as beefy as some aftermarkets. they have saved the sheet metal on the bus though, so i'm glad i have them. that's what the stock step rails bolt to, but not sure about the retractable ones, you mention they bolt back further on the frame. still, if you don't offroad every day, it shouldn't take much time to take them off. you just want to make sure whatever electrical connections they have are sealed pretty well against getting filled with mud, and don't hang down to where they'll get ripped off. the steps come in handy, especially when loading a car seat with the young'un, but after busting my shin a few times, it wasn't worth putting them back on.

not that you have the rails off, you have room for a roof rack. . . .
is "rock slider" the technical term for that piece? If you can buy better ones, that must be quite a piece, as what i had/have seemed pretty solid to me.

as long as i'm having concerns about mods to my truck interfering with its off-road function, is there any chance my aftermarket rims do a worse job holding the tires in place than the stock ones? I nkow they sell "beadlock" rims for extreme offroading, and mine aren't those... so i'm wondering if they'll shed tires more easily (or some such thing)?

Old 05-23-2006, 12:02 PM

it would depend more on what size rims you have, and what size the tires are. if they're 17 or 18", and you've got 35" or larger tires, you shouldn't have a problem unless you air down to less than 15 lbs or so. even then, you'd really have to mash it to get it to pop off. there's a chance you could pop a bead, but it's not a good chance. i air down to 18 psi whenever i'm off the pavement, and haven't had a bead pop yet. but i always have my spare with me, and a ratchet strap to try to reseat the tire.

do you have an on board compressor, or do you have spring rear suspension? airing down is good for offroad, but you need a way to reinflate when you get back to pavement.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:40 PM

it would depend more on what size rims you have, and what size the tires are. if they're 17 or 18", and you've got 35" or larger tires, you shouldn't have a problem unless you air down to less than 15 lbs or so. even then, you'd really have to mash it to get it to pop off. there's a chance you could pop a bead, but it's not a good chance. i air down to 18 psi whenever i'm off the pavement, and haven't had a bead pop yet. but i always have my spare with me, and a ratchet strap to try to reseat the tire.

do you have an on board compressor, or do you have spring rear suspension? airing down is good for offroad, but you need a way to reinflate when you get back to pavement.
i have the compressor. that air suspension is pretty slick, by my loose measurements it makes the low-point of the truck the front skid plates, which seems like a good idea.

i was thinking you could get the middle point of the tire over higher things with bigger tires + you'd gain some ground clearance, neither of which are bad, although the higher-vehicle would become a bit less stable, i guess

Old 05-23-2006, 01:01 PM

i have 37" tires, which gave me some extra clearance, so i see no need for more. they rub inside the wheel well when i'm articulated heavy to one side or the other, but aside from ripping out a trim mounting screw, it hasn't caused any real damage yet. i've heard that people have put tires bigger than the 37" on a stock suspension, but i haven't seen one myself. the compressor is nice to have so you can air your tires back up as soon as you're off the trail. on the built in compressor, don't rely on the guage that comes with it, use a different tire gauge. none of the gauges on the line are accurate while you're filling the tires. if you're planning on airing down a lot, i'd invest on a set of Staun deflators. put 'em on and they air down to whatever preset pressure you've set them for. no need to sit there doing each tire manually.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:30 AM

i have 37" tires, which gave me some extra clearance, so i see no need for more. they rub inside the wheel well when i'm articulated heavy to one side or the other, but aside from ripping out a trim mounting screw, it hasn't caused any real damage yet. i've heard that people have put tires bigger than the 37" on a stock suspension, but i haven't seen one myself. the compressor is nice to have so you can air your tires back up as soon as you're off the trail. on the built in compressor, don't rely on the guage that comes with it, use a different tire gauge. none of the gauges on the line are accurate while you're filling the tires. if you're planning on airing down a lot, i'd invest on a set of Staun deflators. put 'em on and they air down to whatever preset pressure you've set them for. no need to sit there doing each tire manually.
when is airing down advantageous? sand/mud/snow, probably? is it for going over rocks? over sod/grass?

Old 05-24-2006, 01:33 AM

Hey guys,

i just wanted to add that i can totally see the attraction of these steps.

my annoyance stems from getting one side broken, questionable installation, and all

to those who dig them, cool

Old 05-24-2006, 02:40 AM

airing down is advantageous any time you're offroad. you tires will conform to the "road" surface, and provide better grip. less pressure allows them to "stretch" somewhat, and spread out sideways too. i don't know when anything less than 18 - 20 lbs pressure would be required, if you go too low you risk popping a bead as your sidewall flexes. it sure made the ride a lot smoother doing 45 mph across 27 miles of washboard in Death Valley.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:28 PM
Default I need a motor for my powered step

I need a motor for my AMP Research Powered step but can't find one. Any ideas? For a 2007 H2.

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2020, 07:48 AM

Replying to a 14 year old thread, really? Maybe contact AMP research since that is not a factory Hummer part....

Old 09-22-2020, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Donna Hall Tumey
I need a motor for my AMP Research Powered step but can't find one. Any ideas? For a 2007 H2.

Thanks!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...BoC-ZIQAvD_BwE