Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/)
-   -   Passlock-No Start-Ignition Switch Replacement (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/passlock-no-start-ignition-switch-replacement-25563/)

Kimmb 07-29-2017 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kimmb (Post 346127)
This worked guys!!! Dont buy or order anything, i tried evrything that evryone recommended & nothing worked but this!!! Couldnt beleive it! After the third try, it fired rite up, no problem

Turn the key & try to start, leave in start position for 10 minutes or til security light quits blinking, turn key to off position for 10 seconds & try to start again. Again, leave in start position til security light quits blinking, 10 minutes, turn key to off position for 10 seconds, repeat this for a 3rd time, after turning key to off position for 10 seconds, it'll fire rite up! Amazing! So happy it worked!!!!

happythree 07-29-2017 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by shanejackson (Post 262141)
Suffering from the same $hit.... seems GM has a bug with this. I was at the PO the other day and a guy in a Colorado had the same problem..... I love my hummer but this crap is getting OLD!

I dont know if I should get a new key cut as I have seen this might help if it is a wore out key (5 year old key.... good chance of it) or just go buy a new sensor and put it in.....

Shane

every time i read one of theses stories i think how 10 min could be life or death. would gm be responsible.
you know, a lady stuck in a parking lot, a guy outside with a pipe,,,,,

TAINTER 07-31-2017 10:08 AM

Keys get worn, lock cylinders wear, people have too much junk hanging off of their key chains, etc. Why would a manufacturer be responsible for a wear item past warranty?

dwaller67 01-10-2019 09:57 PM

But is Passlock the root cause?

In Nov 18 I purchased a low-mileage 07 H3 base for my boys to drive, they’ll be 15 and 16 in February. The car was clean, still smelled new inside and only had 34,XXX miles on it.

I hit the forums since it was a used car as-is no warranty. I read through everyone’s horror stories and decided on a bypass system. I installed the bypass module and have not had an issue with the car starting since.

There have been other signs though. Every now and then I get a message to service the TPMS system and at the same time the compass in the rear view mirror goes dim and is barely legible.

I have a plug-in module so I can read and reset codes. It always says my left front sensor has gone bad. But then the next time I start the car the alarm is gone. I’m going to review the prints some more and see where the compass is powered from. There might be a ground in the wiring somewhere causing things to freak out a bit. I’ll keep you all posted on what I find.

doyledavison@hotmail.com 12-09-2019 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by shanejackson (Post 268710)
After living with this problem for months I finally got tired of this happening at the worst possible time. Rather than dealing with GM and paying an arm and a leg to get this fixed, and knowing I would probably be dealing with it again in the future if I went that route, I installed a passlock bypass kit. Here is the cheapest passlock bypass kit I have found:

Amazon.com: Crimestopper PASSLOCK-SL-H3 Passlock Data Bypass Kit for Hummer H3: Automotive

Hope that helps.

Shane

amazon reviews are unfortunately not very good for this passlock product unfortunately...

TAINTER 12-09-2019 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by doyledavison@hotmail.com (Post 367687)
amazon reviews are unfortunately not very good for this passlock product unfortunately...

Replying to a post from 12-11-2012. ;)

Doc Olds 12-09-2019 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by doyledavison@hotmail.com (Post 367687)

Please avoid digging up OLD Threads, no reason to do it. READ them if you want, just avoid dragging them from the dead with a tack on post.

Thank you.

Bluebird Bob 12-26-2019 02:35 PM

After reading all the threads, today I ordered the module from PCMfor less. I am down in the Arizona desert (Quartzsite) and can't afford to get stuck here. Car is at the post office waiting for a tow to the only garage in town. Haveing PCM overnight air freight the module to me to replace. They tell me the passlight MIGHT stay on or not. We'll see.
First problem we have had with our H3. Had it now for 6 years and we love it! Tows great behind our motorhome. Hope this solves my first problem.
Thanks for all the people responding to the thread for this 77 yo guy to read.
Great site!

hummerz 12-26-2019 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bluebird Bob (Post 368313)
After reading all the threads, today I ordered the module from PCMfor less. I am down in the Arizona desert (Quartzsite) and can't afford to get stuck here. Car is at the post office waiting for a tow to the only garage in town. Haveing PCM overnight air freight the module to me to replace. They tell me the passlight MIGHT stay on or not. We'll see.
First problem we have had with our H3. Had it now for 6 years and we love it! Tows great behind our motorhome. Hope this solves my first problem.
Thanks for all the people responding to the thread for this 77 yo guy to read.
Great site!

You missed the post above from Doc? Btw, it's easy to clean the connections at the ignition switch.

jriccardi 01-08-2021 02:35 PM

How much did that cost?

Doc Olds 01-08-2021 02:58 PM

Still digging up OLD AZZED Threads!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doc Olds 01-08-2021 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by jriccardi (Post 380989)
How much did that cost?

Welcome. I gotta say, put your glasses on and let us all know How much did WHAT cost? Like as in what are you talking about in this dinosaur thread?????? READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'

You can do it. This is how it works. You were chilling at the computer searchin out your H3 questions and you stumble upon some OLD AZZED Thread that was talking about some fringe element of whatever it was you were looking into. You joined the forums to post a question about the thing you were trying to learn about. In the thread it brings up something that triggers your interest. Instead of tacking a short how much ???? on the end of said OLD AZZED Thread, you, being the super Forums Joining Posting Whiz Kid H3 Hummer info seeking enthusiast, you start a brand NEW Thread and ask your question. Goes like this:

NEW THREAD Name
I have a 20__ H3 model with X miles and I am having this ____________ problem. Recently I had this ____________________ work done and now this.......

I came across this thread (link to it here if you thing it is important) and it mentioned _______________.
Then ask your question about whatever (spell it out, might have to actually type a few sentences) it is that you want to know how much it costs.

Good luck.

Virginia_acuna 01-20-2021 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by telemike (Post 289301)
I was going to do the remote starte bypass box but then decided that having the Engine PCM ignore the Passlock signal from the BCM was better. I never have to worry about the Passlock now. My engine starts every time since the PCM always has fuel injectors on and does not have to get a Passlock signal to turn them on.

Please tell me how you did this I just took my hummer h3 to the dealer and they are telling me it is the battery and cables and told me $1400 to replace the negative terminal cables and battery WTF. SO I TD THEM IM POSITIVE THEY Are wrong and I told them to keep it until it won't start for them because of course it wouldn't not start for them figures the same truck got scared or something just my luck but long story short I need help I am to pick up my truck tomorrow morning and either pay 180 diagnosis or 1400 to change battery and cables both putting me back where I started.

Doc Olds 01-20-2021 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Virginia_acuna (Post 381273)
Please tell me how you did this I just took my hummer h3 to the dealer and they are telling me it is the battery and cables and told me $1400 to replace the negative terminal cables and battery WTF. SO I TD THEM IM POSITIVE THEY Are wrong and I told them to keep it until it won't start for them because of course it wouldn't not start for them figures the same truck got scared or something just my luck but long story short I need help I am to pick up my truck tomorrow morning and either pay 180 diagnosis or 1400 to change battery and cables both putting me back where I started.

WHY ARE YOU TAKING ON THE END OF THID OLD AS DIRT THREAD????????????????????????????????

If you want to ask a question, start a new thread. How old is your H3? Year, miles any recent work done before your issue started should be included in your question. A "Dealer" is the LAST place to take any out of warranty vehicle.

Since none of us can see your battery cables, we got no idea if they are correct or bilking you for $$. However, if you were to search for answers here, you would find that the first mod to do to every H3 is to replace the Crappy Azzed OEM Battery Terminal Connectors (not the cables, just the terminal connectors) as they are the #1 known cause for multiple electrical issues.

Good luck